Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I buy a salvaged Tesla....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So before I start, I just want to let the haters that are gonna tell me to buy a CPO know that I've already looked into that and I'm not interested. Fixing the car will be a breeze since I have the professional service manual, my family owns a hardware store (to buy all nuts, bolts, and tools,..), and they fix cars cars.

Now. If I buy a Tesla model s with a salvaged title, will it still supercharge? Can Tesla turn this feature off for an individual car? I've heard that you can take in teslas to the service center and have them inspected, but what benefits do I gain by it passing?

I'm very interested in fixing up a Tesla and bent on doing it. Unfortunately though, no supercharging might be a deal breaker since I'm heading to college soon.

If you have any input on advice for my journey, or if you have experience in these types of things, just let me know. Im sure I'll be posting more questions since I'm new at all of this...

I believe people have gotten mixed results from salvage titles (you can search the forums). Tesla does deactivate a lot like updates and the like, but you can get them reactivated. Again, stories on both sides for this.

I'm more intrigued that you care about supercharging being a requirement because of cost, yet you are looking to fix this car. The cost to charge is much smaller compared to fixing the car. Is it in 100% running condition and only have body damage? Can you work with aluminium?

So before I start, I just want to let the haters that are gonna tell me to buy a CPO know that I've already looked into that and I'm not interested. Fixing the car will be a breeze since I have the professional service manual, my family owns a hardware store (to buy all nuts, bolts, and tools,..), and they fix cars cars.

Now. If I buy a Tesla model s with a salvaged title, will it still supercharge? Can Tesla turn this feature off for an individual car? I've heard that you can take in teslas to the service center and have them inspected, but what benefits do I gain by it passing?

I'm very interested in fixing up a Tesla and bent on doing it. Unfortunately though, no supercharging might be a deal breaker since I'm heading to college soon.

If you have any input on advice for my journey, or if you have experience in these types of things, just let me know. Im sure I'll be posting more questions since I'm new at all of this...

Lol... its @satoshi all over again. More people have tapped out than have succeeded. There is more to it than mechanically fixing it... And yes, they disable supercharging, if they didn't it's a fluke. Very few people on the forum can ACTUALLY help you, and most stay quiet about their ability to do so.

Good luck I guess

Oh and one more thing. I saw you posting in a S70 thread that had severe rear quarter panel damage. That part is thin as paper, and they don't sell it to non-body shops... so even if you found one that didnt have some kind of damage, removing it would almost surely ruin the rivet spots. I had my body shop save mine for me, and even with all the care they took, its trash.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I believe people have gotten mixed results from salvage titles (you can search the forums). Tesla does deactivate a lot like updates and the like, but you can get them reactivated. Again, stories on both sides for this.

I'm more intrigued that you care about supercharging being a requirement because of cost, yet you are looking to fix this car. The cost to charge is much smaller compared to fixing the car. Is it in 100% running condition and only have body damage? Can you work with aluminium?
The requirement is because I’ll be traveling a lot. I don’t care about necessarily the cost of supercharging, but the ability to supercharge

Oh and one more thing. I saw you posting in a S70 thread that had severe rear quarter panel damage. That part is thin as paper, and they don't sell it to non-body shops... so even if you found one that didnt have some kind of damage, removing it would almost surely ruin the rivet spots. I had my body shop save mine for me, and even with all the care they took, its trash.
That was one that I was looking at getting. I can’t make up my mind lol

There's probably a good reason that Tesla would turn off supercharging functionality on a flooded salvaged vehicle ...

Would you want to be parked next to one when it's getting 100 KW pushed into it for the first time since drying out? Or even worse, sitting inside of one?:eek:

To get supercharging turned back on, you need to pay Tesla to have your car inspected. If it passes they will turn supercharging back on (and probably other services, such as software updates). It is a very expensive and thorough safety inspection that involves removing trim to inspect the structure and wiring.

Another alternative is to root the car and turn supercharging back on yourself. This has been done, but is not recommended.

GSP