Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I can't charge here, neither can you...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A kind employee at my office park took the initiative to orchestrate having some Tesla wall chargers installed, courtesy of the Tesla workplace charging program. In recent weeks this i3 owner has started parking in one of the spaces just to block the charger. It reeks of a childish tantrum, "If I can't charge here, neither can you."

Some people are still children no matter their age.

i3 - Copy.jpg

A kind employee at my office park took the initiative to orchestrate having some Tesla wall chargers installed, courtesy of the Tesla workplace charging program. In recent weeks this i3 owner has started parking in one of the spaces just to block the charger. It reeks of a childish tantrum, "If I can't charge here, neither can you."

View attachment 402464

He should get a JDapter Stub so he can actually use the charging stations.
JDapter Stub

Surprised he/she is not concerned about vandalism. I never understood fighting over parking slots for ICE or EVs... does the winner really win once they leave their vehicle unattended? I don’t think it’s worth the risk of retaliation after the fact.

• Love
Reactions: JasontheBeaver

View attachment 402464

Rude of him. Has there been any communication about the situation?

It looks like the cord should reach to the next space, if it isn't ICE'd.

Perhaps the owner figures that since there's a charger there, then it can be used for parking an electric vehicle? I always try not to attribute malice where stupidity is an option.

You could take the high road, and actually buy them one of those JDapter Stubs as a gift. That way they can actually charge their car at work, which is handy, and you've made a friend not an enemy.

I agree, there is another space though, so it has not reached fever pitch yet. Those cars with some ingenuity(car dollies) could be moved pretty easily as another message perhaps. Just show the ability it can be moved and I bet it will stop.

They are probably watching through the windows though. "I could have sworn I left my car right here in this Tesla Workplace charging spot". "Oh, yes I a BMW".

I've seen Tesla owners do this also, in spots with Universal J1772 charging. Not even plugged in. IKEA comes to mind.

Last edited:

View attachment 402464

If the office park had only installed J-1772, life would have been so much better. I am not a fan of destination chargers in public places, and yes I charged off of them for the last two evenings. Destination chargers are very limiting, and J-1772 are inclusive. I'd maybe find the owner and work with him to get the building to swap/add J-1772 outlets.

After all, the i3 range is a lot less than any of those Teslas. Cars like Leafs and i3 often NEED to charge at work, even when they charge at home.

If the office park had only installed J-1772, life would have been so much better. I am not a fan of destination chargers in public places, and yes I charged off of them for the last two evenings. Destination chargers are very limiting, and J-1772 are inclusive. I'd maybe find the owner and work with him to get the building to swap/add J-1772 outlets.

After all, the i3 range is a lot less than any of those Teslas. Cars like Leafs and i3 often NEED to charge at work, even when they charge at home.

Tesla donates chargers, and even pays for installation sometimes. They'll also donate a J1772 for each pair of wall connectors when asked.

I haven't seen any other companies donating chargers to random businesses, let alone paying for installation.

He's not charging. He never does. He's just blocking the space. Nearly every day. Oh, and I looked more closely. The empty space NEXT to the one he's in has an adapter attached to the Tesla charger that would permit him to charge. But he didn't park in that space and charge, either.

I'm perfectly willing to accept that some people might be too stupid to know what's going on with this complicated charging setup that has three Tesla chargers mounted on poles in front of three parking spaces. After all, that's a really difficult concept to grasp, even for someone driving an electric vehicle. /s But he's been doing this for weeks and these spots are not premium spots. Most of the lot is closer to the building. Anyone so stupid to not know what's going on here would be too stupid to operate a motor vehicle. This is malice, pure and simple.

Last edited:
The empty space NEXT to the one he's in has an adapter attached to the Tesla charger that would permit him to charge. But he didn't park in that space and charge, either.
I would put a note on this persons car, explaining the facts of this charging adapter right next to them. With an i3 I would be all over that charging with range limits it has. Sounds like laziness.

Its either that, or as mentioned before get those dollies, move it over and plug it in yourself after you move it over. The look on their face when they go to get in and its plugged in. Then they try to figure out how to unplug it so they can leave. Hopefully the i3 is advanced enough it won't let you drive without unplugging it?

• Funny
Reactions: Saghost
Here they areimage.png they each even have their own hydraulic jack. Expensive, but the look on their face would be priceless. I've seen Tesla move Model S with these things in the showroom. Suddenly the car is yours.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: Rocky_H
Here they areView attachment 402857 they each even have their own hydraulic jack. Expensive, but the look on their face would be priceless. I've seen Tesla move Model S with these things in the showroom. Suddenly the car is yours.

I assume you're joking about actually moving somebody else's car, but if not (or if somebody starts thinking about this seriously), I'd caution against it. I don't know what the law says on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if moving somebody else's car without permission was illegal. At the very least, you'd be liable for any damages that occur while doing it. Also, consider all the threads here in which people express outrage at others who are caught on Tesla's Sentry Mode doing things that cause or potentially cause damage to the Tesla. I expect a BMW i3 owner would be just as upset, and this sort of thing could easily escalate until two cars are trashed and their owners are both standing before a judge looking sullen, wearing scrapes and bruises. Clearly there's a market for this sort of drama on daytime TV, but I can't imagine it would be fun to live.

If the BMW is actually causing problems, then by all means, leave a note on the windshield; or if necessary, track the owner down for an in-person discussion. (Sentry Mode might even help with that.) Contacting the property's management might also be worth trying.

View attachment 402464
Well it looks like you could park in front of him sideways and the cable would still reach :)
I wouldn't mess with someone else's car, but blocking them in seems fair game.

Reactions: scaesare and Drax