Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I change my order will I lose my early ‘spot’ in line?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will get a new RN and go to the back of the line. Don't change it now. When the time comes you can spec it however you want.

The order page is saying "late 2021" for (implied) single and dual motor, and late 2022 for Tri. So if they do produce them in that order, you will get a request to configure before the Tri motors. At that point you just tell them you want a Tri and you'll be put into that queue.

You will get a new RN and go to the back of the line. Don't change it now. When the time comes you can spec it however you want.

The order page is saying "late 2021" for (implied) single and dual motor, and late 2022 for Tri. So if they do produce them in that order, you will get a request to configure before the Tri motors. At that point you just tell them you want a Tri and you'll be put into that queue.
Incorrect

It probably doesn't matter all that much because if Tesla does as they have done in the past, what will determine the order shipped is what options you order during configuration. Because Tesla builds in batches, the batches with the option combo that they want to build first will go to those that ordered that particular combination. They'll try to do them in order for each group, but there almost certainly will be those with a later RN that will get their Cybertruck first.

So, will you be able to change from dual to (tri or tri to dual) later on, regardless?

Yes. Once Tesla starts the order/delivery process you should be able to update or change configurations as you want. This makes sense since new options may be available by the time production begins. But as others have stated, delivery time will most likely depend first on what Tesla decides to produce initially. If your configuration falls within the first batches being produced then your order in line (and location) will become factors for time of delivery. That said, if Tesla is building tri-motor first, then it may notify those with tri-motor configurations first about potential delivery. So, it may make sense to update your configuration to tri-motor now (if you so desire) so you get the potential earliest notice from Tesla. And if at that time you want dual motor, you can change it then. I am still pondering the tri-motor vs. dual motor configuration (Tri-motor for the extra range or dual motor to save $$$). Still a tough call for me now, but leaning tri motor (as you will never regret extra range) and have configured it that way (after configuring the dual motor version on the night of the reveal). With 600,000 pre-orders (even assuming 50% attrition) then all of these things (location, configuration, RN# - and probably in that order) will matter and help determine when you may have the option to get your vehicle. At the end of the day, I think the consensus is that you can modify your configuration now without any change to your RN.

Disclaimer: This is all just speculation based on my previous experience with Tesla. Al subject to change. Good luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Keep in mind, however that if you change your order in any way then the price of FSD will be updated to reflect the new order date, not the original. Not sure if that would make a difference at this point but it almost certainly will the closer to delivery we get. Of course if you are not ordering FSD then this is a moot point.

Dan

Reactions: AlexanderTX
Keep in mind, however that if you change your order in any way then the price of FSD will be updated to reflect the new order date, not the original. Not sure if that would make a difference at this point but it almost certainly will the closer to delivery we get. Of course if you are not ordering FSD then this is a moot point.

Dan
This is true for FSD, any options you chose, as well as the base price. So if you make any changes to your build after any of the aforementioned have changed in price, you will pay the new price. This works regardless of which way the price changed. I reduced my Model Y cost by "updating" my order after word was out that the base price had dropped. I think I saved $1,200.

Reactions: Dan Detweiler
Wait, what? I was one of the first in line for a 2-motor CT on the day it was announced, and including a request for FSD with my reservation for $7k. So you're saying if I upgrade my reservation to a 3-motor (which I am strongly considering now), I'll also have to pay $8k (an additional $1k) for the FSD?

Or is everyone with an early reservation going to have to pay whatever the 'current' price of FSD when it ships? And BTW, I see nothing on my purchase order agreement for a set price for FSD). I just checked my reservation online, and there's no mention of the original $7k price for FSD. So I checked the official "Order Agreement" they posted on my account page the day I made my reservation and it states...

"any pre-order price provided to you in advance of the Final Price Sheet is only being offered to you as an esmate and is subject to change."

The only price indicated anywhere on my Reservation page for FSD now displays $8k. If they increase FDS to $100K by the time the CT ships, what's to stop Tesla from charging us $100k for FSD when we take delivery -- based on this quote in their Purchase Agreement? I see nothing online showing that they will lock in whatever FSD price was when you made a reservation. And if they lock FSD price the day of reservation, why can't I update my CT reservation to Tri-motor without paying the higher FSD rate since the RN will remain the same?

Rest assured you will probably pay the going price for FSD at the time the car is configured (there has been no offered price for it at this point) which in MHO isn't worth it, unless you plan to rent out your vehicle. I think the whole rental thing is a pipe dream. I don't see it coming to fruition in my lifetime. But then again I never thought I'd be toolin' down the highway on autopilot (except in Germany, hee hee). Oh well. No crystal balls.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC