Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I change my order will I lose my early ‘spot’ in line?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think being "early" means a whole lot with Tesla. Just look at the Y roll out... First Day reservation holders with no cars long (months) after deliveries started. Not to mention people ordering and getting cars assigned/delivered within days...
I think spec, location, shipping / transport schedules, and production batches matter much, much more than "First!"
Get what you want, when you want it and don't worry about it.

Reactions: azjohn
I ordered a Model Y to keep me happy while I wait. Will sell the expensive X although I love it and will miss it. Cannot justify twice the price for a car that largely sits in the garage during COVID.

You'll have plenty of time to add it later. If you check you order number on the list you may be as surprised as I was.
I thought I was early in the cue, having ordered a week after the Cybrtrk was introduced. Well, I am 270,000 something with a delivery date in April of 2023. By then the new version may fly and not need FSD.

Typed this out in detail but I wasn't logged in, so I lost it 🤷‍♂️ Gonna retype it more briefly

Spoke with 2 Call Center reps and 1 showroom employee and learned that the current rules (don't take me at my word, verify yourself):
  • Changes to your order do NOT put you at the back of the line. Orders are fulfilled roughly by reservation date, and as we know are likely done in same-Trim batches
  • Changes to your order do NOT cause more recent price increases to take effect. Only price decreases! Price changes have been tracked here: Tesla Car Price History
I asked these questions with regards to changing from one Trim of a Model Y to another, so they may not be at all true for changing from one Model to another

Guess of the delivery estimates for each Model and Trim: These are the Tesla wait times for every model

Not directly related but if you want to get a used Tesla - Changes to each Model over time: Tesla Model 3 history of changes by year

Reactions: gillfoto