Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I change tires to 22 from 20, will it affect range severely?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Worth the slight dip in range for this look IMO. I have a set of both the 20s and 22s. I do not notice any increase tire noise with the Pirelli Scorpions. The ride is only slightly firmer and handling is more sharp.

img_2010-jpg.288434

Does anyone know if Tesla has to change the suspension settings in the car when switching from the stock 20" to the stock 22"? I heard rumblings of this before, but it was never confirmed.

I like them better on the S than the X. On the X, I still prefer the 22 turbines.
aafda06a-ef74-4a87-a567-94dc79f70dfa-jpeg.292757

What susp setting are you on in this pic? Low? Very Low? Looks great.

Does anyone know if Tesla has to change the suspension settings in the car when switching from the stock 20" to the stock 22"? I heard rumblings of this before, but it was never confirmed.

Suspension is on low (always drive in this setting). I switch back and forth between my 20s and 22s. I've never changed any suspension setting and never had any faults or issues.

Suspension is on low (always drive in this setting). I switch back and forth between my 20s and 22s. I've never changed any suspension setting and never had any faults or issues.

There is a setting that Tesla configures for 20's vs 22's, some who have used aftermarket bracket adjustments had run into problems when their car wasn't configured correctly. The resolution was to get Tesla to reconfigure the car. With that said, I've never had mine changed and I go back and forth between 20's and 22's as well with no problems or rubbing. When I ran the wheel calc, there was a 0.2" difference in overall diameter in the rear and a .1% difference in the front.

It's on Low, but it does look a lot lower than the picture @AlgaeHater put up. It might just be because of the picture angle.

• Informative
Reactions: VikH
if you guys want to ride low without constantly adjusting it, just get this:

Sports Air Suspension Lowering Kit for Tesla Model X - Unplugged Performance

it looks good and rides better...for a good price imho

Thanks for posting. The listing makes reference to the suspension settings I mentioned before. It looks like there is an internal calibration for 22" and 20" wheels.

PLEASE NOTE: TO INSTALL ON YOUR MODEL X, YOU MUST HAVE THE 22″ WHEEL / TIRE SYSTEM CALIBRATION (THIS IS BY DEFAULT IF YOUR VEHICLE WAS FACTORY EQUIPPED WITH 22″ WHEELS, BUT CAN BE RECALIBRATED BY A TESLA SERVICE CENTER UPON REQUEST).

if you guys want to ride low without constantly adjusting it, just get this:

Sports Air Suspension Lowering Kit for Tesla Model X - Unplugged Performance

it looks good and rides better...for a good price imho

It does look better with the lowering bracket, but I don't see how it would ride better. All the brackets do is reposition the lowering/raising sensors to "fool" the car to lowering a bit more than usual. If anything, I would suspect the car would ride worse in the lower settings.

Do you switch back and forth between 20 and 22, and do you have to do any calibration when switching?

Also a related question to all of you with the OEM 22": have you had any bent rims? I remember bent rims happened quite often with the 21" on the Model S.

Do you switch back and forth between 20 and 22, and do you have to do any calibration when switching?

Also a related question to all of you with the OEM 22": have you had any bent rims? I remember bent rims happened quite often with the 21" on the Model S.

I switch back and forth. No issues with calibration. I also drive mine into NYC on a semi regular basis, and travel about 4mi of gravel/rocky pitted roads on a daily basis.

I haven’t bent a rim yet, 19’s, 20, 21, or 22’s. Part of that is luck I think. Less rubber and air does increase the chance of a bent rim, and I have hit some hard enough to blow out the 19” tire on the S.

No calibration required
Car automatically detects new wheels and resets TPMs, while also recognizing the size.
22s are pretty strong, with a bit more tire side wall than 21s on Model S
I had 21s on S and had issues, sold, put 20s instead
IMO it's less likely to have a bent 22'' rim on the X.