TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

if I could only charge at work. ;-)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by montgom626, Mar 25, 2013.

1. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

charger.PNG

I am wondering why I would need anymore that 120V at 12 amps. 3 miles per hour x 12 hours of time of use (TOU) (7 pm to 7 am) is 36 miles. My commute is 40 miles. On the weekend I get 60 hours of time of use. That is 180 miles.

I am short 4 miles M-F for a total deficit of 20 miles by Friday. After 7 hours (on 120V) I am back to full on Saturday morning by 3 am.

Since my TOU rate is 5 cents per kWh then life is good and "cheap". So every Monday I would be "full" at 238 miles.

Now, if I could only charge at work. ;-)

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I have a friend who is a private contractor at Vandenberg AFB. He was all ready to buy an EV as he has a 120 mile commute every day. He works for Lockheed, and they would not let him charge during the day even at 120 v to make his commute possible. They have charging facilities close by, but they are for 'guests' only! Too bad! Would have been one more ICE off the road!!

3. Benjam

Benjam Member

My company just put in EV chargers in the parking garage and I am super psyched. And I didn't even have to ask for them :biggrin:

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Well...

1. In extreme cold winter conditions (e.g. -20C) you don't get any increase in range - the pack heater takes all the power.
    2. In moderate cold winter conditions you only get 1 mile per hour charging.
    3. You can't charge at off-peak rates if you're charging all day.
    4. Some people drive more than that in one day.

5. dtich

dtich #P708

that's living very frugally. there's no way i could do it, but i applaud you for it. like an ev monk you are.

6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

#6 yobigd20, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    Another way to look at it is how many hours plugged in per day vs driving and range. I drive 2 hrs a day. So therefore I can be plugged into 120V 22hrs a day. At max I would get 66 miles per day back. However , my daily commute is 95 miles.... So it wouldn't work for me. That's not factoring in that I drive fast so technically I use probably about 125 miles range to go 95 miles. Oh well. That's why I have a NEMA 14-50 at home.

7. AC1K

AC1K Member

i work in a building managed by oxford, and apparently almost all oxford buildings provide free EV charging in the parkade (but you have to pay $35+ to park)

8. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Sweet!

- - - Updated - - -

That makes perfect sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I am an EV monk with a 90K USD Model S. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

I am very lucky in that my garage is heated. On the weekends, starting at 7 pm until 7 am on Monday, I get off peak rate of 5 cents per kW.

9. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

To put this in perspective, many downtown parking garages in Boston charge $32 and include free EV charging. That's $32 per day​.

10. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Wow! You are so right. In Chicago, parking can be very expensive. And if memory serves me right, New York is frightfully expensive too.