Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

if I could only charge at work. ;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
charger.PNG

I am wondering why I would need anymore that 120V at 12 amps. 3 miles per hour x 12 hours of time of use (TOU) (7 pm to 7 am) is 36 miles. My commute is 40 miles. On the weekend I get 60 hours of time of use. That is 180 miles.

I am short 4 miles M-F for a total deficit of 20 miles by Friday. After 7 hours (on 120V) I am back to full on Saturday morning by 3 am.

Since my TOU rate is 5 cents per kWh then life is good and "cheap". So every Monday I would be "full" at 238 miles.

Now, if I could only charge at work. ;-)

I have a friend who is a private contractor at Vandenberg AFB. He was all ready to buy an EV as he has a 120 mile commute every day. He works for Lockheed, and they would not let him charge during the day even at 120 v to make his commute possible. They have charging facilities close by, but they are for 'guests' only! Too bad! Would have been one more ICE off the road!!

I am wondering why I would need anymore that 120V at 12 amps.

Well...

1. In extreme cold winter conditions (e.g. -20C) you don't get any increase in range - the pack heater takes all the power.
  2. In moderate cold winter conditions you only get 1 mile per hour charging.
  3. You can't charge at off-peak rates if you're charging all day.
  4. Some people drive more than that in one day.

I am wondering why I would need anymore that 120V at 12 amps. 3 miles per hour x 12 hours of time of use (TOU) (7 pm to 7 am) is 36 miles. My commute is 40 miles. On the weekend I get 60 hours of time of use. That is 180 miles.

I am short 4 miles M-F for a total deficit of 20 miles by Friday. After 7 hours (on 120V) I am back to full on Saturday morning by 3 am.

Since my TOU rate is 5 cents per kWh then life is good and "cheap". So every Monday I would be "full" at 238 miles.

Now, if I could only charge at work. ;-)

that's living very frugally. there's no way i could do it, but i applaud you for it. like an ev monk you are.

Another way to look at it is how many hours plugged in per day vs driving and range. I drive 2 hrs a day. So therefore I can be plugged into 120V 22hrs a day. At max I would get 66 miles per day back. However , my daily commute is 95 miles.... So it wouldn't work for me. That's not factoring in that I drive fast so technically I use probably about 125 miles range to go 95 miles. Oh well. That's why I have a NEMA 14-50 at home.

Last edited:
My company just put in EV chargers in the parking garage and I am super psyched. And I didn't even have to ask for them :biggrin:

Sweet!

- - - Updated - - -

That's not factoring in that I drive fast so technically I use probably about 125 miles range to go 95 miles. Oh well. That's why I have a NEMA 14-50 at home.

That makes perfect sense.

- - - Updated - - -

that's living very frugally. there's no way i could do it, but i applaud you for it. like an ev monk you are.

Yes, I am an EV monk with a 90K USD Model S. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Well...

1. In extreme cold winter conditions (e.g. -20C) you don't get any increase in range - the pack heater takes all the power.
  2. In moderate cold winter conditions you only get 1 mile per hour charging.
  3. You can't charge at off-peak rates if you're charging all day.
  4. Some people drive more than that in one day.

I am very lucky in that my garage is heated. On the weekends, starting at 7 pm until 7 am on Monday, I get off peak rate of 5 cents per kW.