Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I deactivate FSD can I reactivate it later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 10.6.1 and have been letting it "practice" on secondary roads on occasion to and from work. Yesterday, I was using Autopilot with "lane keeping" (not "Navigate on Autopilot") on a three-lane highway - I was in the center lane going about 60mph and approaching a heavy merge. When I reached the merge, some cars entered the highway next to me and my car (MS-LR) clearly got nervous, freaked out a bit and hit the brakes pretty hard. Luckily the person behind me was paying attention, so I was not rear-ended. However, this shook me up a bit, so I am considering deactivating FSD and waiting until I hear (from you all here) that the system is getting less "buggy". I will note that prior to activating FSD, I found Autopilot to be quite sane, sensible, and useful - but I am worrined about how the FSD overlay is making it less comforting.

My question: if I deactivate FSD, will I be able to re-activate it with no hassles in a few months? Or is there only one shot at this?

Thank you in advance.

It’s my understanding that FSD Beta is using “regular” FSD on the highway, but without radar. It’s not clear that your car would have behaved differently without FSD Beta under the same circumstances, so I wouldn’t base your decision on one incident.

My question: if I deactivate FSD, will I be able to re-activate it with no hassles in a few months? Or is there only one shot at this?
You can enable and disable FSD anytime you are parked. You can also create different profiles - with FSD enabled and disabled and switch between them even while driving.

Having said all that - its unlikely the phantom braking you experienced had anything to do with FSD being enabled. BTW, do you have old radar car or a newer vision only car ?

It’s my understanding that FSD Beta is using “regular” FSD on the highway, but without radar. It’s not clear that your car would have behaved differently without FSD Beta under the same circumstances...

That's the theory but in reality, when my 2018 radar Model 3 switched to Radarless, its behaviors on freeways started to act drastically different.

Yes. I used to have phantom brakes but I got drastically more after the switch.

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX and S4WRXTTCS
I don’t understand why people would consider deactivating….. Just don’t use it! No need to have them take the option away from you when the choice to use is voluntary. I am an original 100 but I rarely use it now…… But I see no reason to “deactivate” and hope they give it back to me someday. Just don’t use it.

Reactions: K5TRX and gaswalla
I have 10.6.1 and have been letting it "practice" on secondary roads on occasion to and from work. Yesterday, I was using Autopilot with "lane keeping" (not "Navigate on Autopilot") on a three-lane highway - I was in the center lane going about 60mph and approaching a heavy merge. When I reached the merge, some cars entered the highway next to me and my car (MS-LR) clearly got nervous, freaked out a bit and hit the brakes pretty hard. Luckily the person behind me was paying attention, so I was not rear-ended. However, this shook me up a bit, so I am considering deactivating FSD and waiting until I hear (from you all here) that the system is getting less "buggy". I will note that prior to activating FSD, I found Autopilot to be quite sane, sensible, and useful - but I am worrined about how the FSD overlay is making it less comforting.

Thank you in advance.

You won't be able to make it back to Vision+Radar version of AP without sending an email to the FSD Beta team asking to be removed.

There have been a few people who have done that just to go back to that version, but the downside to that is it might not be easy to get back in.

It really sucks that Tesla won't respond to inquiries or complaints via the FSD Beta email.

So it's really just a guessing game.

Thank you in advance.
If it wasn't clear from the other replies, you have the option to turn on or off the FSD Beta in the Autopilot settings menu any time the car is in park (and it is off when you initially get the FSD Beta software). This does not remove you from the FSD Beta testing program.

Reactions: crusader2007
I don’t understand why people would consider deactivating….. Just don’t use it! No need to have them take the option away from you when the choice to use is voluntary. I am an original 100 but I rarely use it now…… But I see no reason to “deactivate” and hope they give it back to me someday. Just don’t use it.
True- but there are times when I want to use “cruise control”, but don’t want the car’s nervous twitches.

My 2020 is a radar car …
Have you tried simply turning off FSD in the settings, and see if that doesn't bring you back to what you want.

I have a 2018 with Performance Model 3 with Radar, and before the FSD Beta the AP/TACC was fairly solid.

But, AP/TACC under the FSD Beta builds has been horrendous. Everything from way more phantom braking to lack of smoothness when accelerating during traffic. It's really odd as FSD is smoother in traffic on surface streets than TACC/AP is on the freeway.

For me to get back to good TACC/AP I'd have to bail out of the FSD beta program entirely. But, who knows how long it would take me to get a mainline firmware build.

$$$$ 214.00 a month is being saved when one deactivates or unsubscribes. I personally want the money much more than FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: trisk