Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If i forget to schedule departure and i turn on climate control how do I know when its ready?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i often forget to schedule departure. The manual says you can condition the battery another way by turning on climate control.

When you do it via schedule the app tells you when it's ready. But when you simply turn on climate control there's no notification.

So how do you know the car is conditioned when you're doing it manually via turning on climate control?

So i often forget to schedule departure. The manual says you can condition the battery another way by turning on climate control.

When you do it via schedule the app tells you when it's ready. But when you simply turn on climate control there's no notification.

So how do you know the car is conditioned when you're doing it manually via turning on climate control?
I receive a notification on my phone (Apple watch too) via the Tesla app when I manually precondition (turn on the climate control from the Tesla app.) It generally takes 5 to 10 minutes for the passenger cabin of my 2020 LRMY to reach the set temperature and then I receive the notification on my phone and watch.

There seems to be some confusion about battery conditioning. Sure, you can turn on the HVAC remotely and I get an alert on my phone when its ready, but I really doubt that five minutes of HVAC is gonna do anything meaningful regarding heating of the batteries.
With the latest software release, starting with 2021.40.6 my 2020 LRMY no longer displays the battery warming icon when preconditioning. This is related to improved cold weather performance and uses less power while preconditioning. I do see the blue snow flake indicating that the battery is cold more than before the update.

Tesla Software Release 2021.40.6, Cold weather improvements - Additionally, when using climate controls on the Tesla App, automatic battery pre-conditioning has been optimized to consume less energy.

I need to confirm if the battery warming icon is displayed when the temperature inside my garage is below freezing when I precondition in the A.M.

Separately I need to determine if the battery warming icon is displayed when preconditioning at home and my Tesla Model Y is plugged in. (I don't regularly charge at home.)

Confused about having climate come on. Ok so I have my m3 set for pre conditioning at 7:00 am. (It is not plugged in) temp setting is off and set for 72 degrees. How can I get the temp to turn on while the car is preconditioning? I would like to get into a warm car when it is cold out!

Confused about having climate come on. Ok so I have my m3 set for pre conditioning at 7:00 am. (It is not plugged in) temp setting is off and set for 72 degrees. How can I get the temp to turn on while the car is preconditioning? I would like to get into a warm car when it is cold out!
You have to leave the Climate Control turned on. Set to Auto or AC (in summer) and your preferred passenger cabin temperature. Preconditioning (via Scheduled Departure or using the Tesla app) primarily warms (or cools) the passenger cabin to your set temperature, can automatically turn on the front seat heaters and steering wheel heater too. In cold weather the Tesla Model Y can automatically warm the battery pack while preconditioning, does not have to be plugged in to precondition the passenger cabin or battery.

You have to leave the Climate Control turned on. Set to Auto or AC (in summer) and your preferred passenger cabin temperature. Preconditioning (via Scheduled Departure or using the Tesla app) primarily warms (or cools) the passenger cabin to your set temperature, can automatically turn on the front seat heaters and steering wheel heater too. In cold weather the Tesla Model Y can automatically warm the battery pack while preconditioning, does not have to be plugged in to precondition the passenger cabin or battery.
So just to clarify, AUTO has to be set in the car?

So just to clarify, AUTO has to be set in the car?
No, not required. I recommend you set the Climate Control to Auto as this usually works best. You can override the Auto setting. You can select AC only (no heat) and manually select your desired airflow (windshield, dashboard or floor and also select combinations of these air vents.) In the Auto setting the Tesla Model Y will automatically direct the airflow where needed while simultaneously heating the cabin and running the AC to dehumidify the cabin as required. You can manually set the fan speed. You can turn on Recirculate Cabin Air. You can set the air vents to be on for the second row.

The power button for the Climate Control on the far left of the Climate Controls must be On.

No, not required. I recommend you set the Climate Control to Auto as this usually works best. You can override the Auto setting. You can select AC only (no heat) and manually select your desired airflow (windshield, dashboard or floor and also select combinations of these air vents.) In the Auto setting the Tesla Model Y will automatically direct the airflow where needed while simultaneously heating the cabin and running the AC to dehumidify the cabin as required. You can manually set the fan speed. You can turn on Recirculate Cabin Air. You can set the air vents to be on for the second row.

The power button for the Climate Control on the far left of the Climate Controls must be On.
Ok…. Thanks again jc

My 2016 MX had a "smart preconditioning" that would learn when I was typically departing in the AM and heat the cabin (and I assume the battery) at that time while still plugged in. (This is not the preconditioning prior to SC charging.) I can't seem to find this function in my new 2022 MX. Is it buried somewhere? Did it go away? I'm on V2022.44.25.5. I know I can do it through the app but this was automatic after it learned my routine.