Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I had 3x Powerwalls - could I generate 3 ph energy for faster charging of the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In order for it to work, you would need a reference 3-phase waveform for the three PWs to sync to. Maybe a large 3-ph UPS could work if it can cold start. Also, you would have to take the PWs offline to switch them back and forth from 3-phase to 1-phase. Overall, it's a pretty crazy idea. If you had 3-phase utility service, it could be pretty straight forward to put one on each phase, but I don't think backup mode is available for 3-phase due to issue of maintaining 3-phase sync.

most residential properties are single phase (excluding farms etc) so this limits charge rates at home.
Creating 3phase in this way would permit enhanced car charging rates.

The cost to have the utility provide 3ph is extortionate.

Just thought it would be a fun USP for Tesla/Powerwall and in theory quite simple to do.
It could even be used to power a smalll home workshop with 3ph equipment.

Why would you want a 3 phase supply? I'm sure Tesla can provide a 3 phase supply, that's what they are probably doing for the utilities.
People have been promised Powerwall 2 units with built-in 3-phase inverters. However, these things happen on "Tesla Time", so we're not sure when they will actually be available.

However, this doesn't address the OP's desire to get three phase from the Powerwall with only single phase utility supply.