TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

If I had 3x Powerwalls - could I generate 3 ph energy for faster charging of the car?

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by thegruf, Jun 26, 2018.

1. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

with suitable switching so that they were all aligned as 1ph for house support, but switch 2x out of house support and set the phases to act as a 3 phase supply.

Ought to be doable, but how?

2. miimura

miimura Active Member

In order for it to work, you would need a reference 3-phase waveform for the three PWs to sync to. Maybe a large 3-ph UPS could work if it can cold start. Also, you would have to take the PWs offline to switch them back and forth from 3-phase to 1-phase. Overall, it's a pretty crazy idea. If you had 3-phase utility service, it could be pretty straight forward to put one on each phase, but I don't think backup mode is available for 3-phase due to issue of maintaining 3-phase sync.

3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Why would you want a 3 phase supply? I'm sure Tesla can provide a 3 phase supply, that's what they are probably doing for the utilities.

4. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

most residential properties are single phase (excluding farms etc) so this limits charge rates at home.
    Creating 3phase in this way would permit enhanced car charging rates.

The cost to have the utility provide 3ph is extortionate.

Just thought it would be a fun USP for Tesla/Powerwall and in theory quite simple to do.
    It could even be used to power a smalll home workshop with 3ph equipment.

5. miimura

miimura Active Member

People have been promised Powerwall 2 units with built-in 3-phase inverters. However, these things happen on "Tesla Time", so we're not sure when they will actually be available.

However, this doesn't address the OP's desire to get three phase from the Powerwall with only single phase utility supply.