Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I knew then, what I know now...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought long and hard about this question. Before my purchase, there were several decisions I made and was not 100% sure about:
- Ordered the 85kWh battery upgrade (a priority for me above all other options, and definitely the right decision for us)
- Ordered the panoramic sunroof (was the right decision for me)
- Ordered the metallic green paint (lot's of sleepless nights - LOVE the color)
- Tech package (pricey, but not a waste of money)
- Premium sound system (can't imagine not having the premium sound)
- 19" Std wheels (glad I didn't spend the extra money on the awesome looking 21s)
Overall, not one regret on configuration.

Glad my NEMA 14-50 outlet was ready before the car arrived. I even installed a cord hanger above the outlet.

I would have bought the luxury floor mats, but luckily I can still do that. Everything else I'm totally satisfied with.

85kwh- absolutely the right decision for me. With standard charge and "normal" driving you can reasonably expect 200 mile range. On a busy active weekend I can easily drive 150 miles a day. That leaves me 50 miles of breathing room which is good for my compulsive nature.

Performance- I love it. don't need it, but soooo glad I got it.

Sound package- love it. The car is the perfect platform for good audio given how quiet it is. I assume it would be fairly difficult to do anything aftermarket.

Tech package- necessary. I need navigation.

Pano-roof- was iffy on this at first, but now I'm glad I got it. Increased headroom in the back and the roof is quite effective in blocking out the sun on especially warm days. Makes the cabin feel even more spacious than it already is.

Parcel shelf- glad I got it. keeps the car looking neat even if I have a bunch of stuff in the trunk.

Model S- absolutely. I was thinking of getting a comparable luxury sedan and I'm quite happy with the Model S. I've been spoiled by driving it for the last 3 months. It is quite jarring to get back into an ICE. I love the fact that I had no idea how much gas costs and that I haven't been to the gas station this year.

I would NOT have bought the "Plug in Prius Advanced" during April of 2012 for $40K+, I have 11,300 miles on it, I am hearing dealer offers of $22K, OUCH. As far as the Model S, that's just fine, I probably could have lived without the air suspension, or the 85KW pack, but then I probably wouldn't have my car yet. I did not get the "performance", and my standard is plenty fast for me, I've been driving Priu for the last 12 years, this car is so much faster.

I would have made sure that I had a Torx-25 screwdriver around to install the license plates. Fortunately, my IT department had me covered.

"Performance" was one of the few options I did not get, but I'm okay with that. There's already more acceleration here than I need!

Ask yourself if you really need twin chargers. Given ability to add on charger later and relative scarcity of high amp charging stations available, plus how well NEMA 14-50 charges from home, this is probably the option you'll use the least unless you have an insanely long commute every day, and even then 14-50 at 40 amps should do the trick.

Ask yourself if you really need twin chargers. Given ability to add on charger later and relative scarcity of high amp charging stations available, plus how well NEMA 14-50 charges from home, this is probably the option you'll use the least unless you have an insanely long commute every day, and even then 14-50 at 40 amps should do the trick.

Your right SFOTURTLE but I expect my S to be my only vehicle once I sell my Jeep Wrangler, my wife has elderly parents 100 miles away, I did not want to get caught returning to the house after a day trip and get a call that she had to go to West Palm in support of her parents . I also have an HPWC and dual chargers, i feel for my situation it is cheap insurance to always have ther charge reserve I might need. I might be a little paranoid here but I feel i am covered as much as possible so I think there is a place for the twin chargers for some people.

It really depends where you are. Here in Canada, if you have any idea of taking a road trip, then I would strongly recommend the twin chargers. There's actually a pretty widespread network of higher power (70A delivered) charging stations. Once the Superchargers are installed they will only cover a tiny fraction of the country.

It really depends where you are. Here in Canada, if you have any idea of taking a road trip, then I would strongly recommend the twin chargers. There's actually a pretty widespread network of higher power (70A delivered) charging stations. Once the Superchargers are installed they will only cover a tiny fraction of the country.

That's why I ordered twin chargers. It's not likely I'll ever have a HPWC, but it'll make a big difference on road trips. I plan on using one of the 70 amp units in Orillia soon.

- - - Updated - - -

"Performance" was one of the few options I did not get, but I'm okay with that. There's already more acceleration here than I need!

Agreed. The "performance" of my non-performance car is already bordering on silly. I don't think I've yet had my foot to the floor and I can already out accelerate just about anyone out there. The passing performance on the highway is almost unbelievable.

I got everything but performance (would have liked to have the CF, but not for the performance premium), child seats, and paint armour (have full SunTek paint armour). About the only thing I might have changed was the colour--the gray really looks nice in person but I didn't have the opportunity to view before finalizing. The grey interior looks great with the piano black--I'm glad I made those choices.

Agreed. I ordered the twin chargers and actually got my first real experience/benefit out of them yesterday while stopping at a Tesla service center on a shortish day-trip. But in California right now, there aren't that many 70A options -- yet. Hoping that will change.

I kick myself daily for not getting the twin chargers. Yes, I know I can get them retrofitted, but at a very severe premium. I have had occasion to use the Roadster charger in several Tesla stores, and it would be REALLY nice to charge at 70 amps. When you've got your wife roaming around in a Mall it gets expensive the longer you have to stay!:wink:

I kick myself daily for not getting the twin chargers. Yes, I know I can get them retrofitted, but at a very severe premium. I have had occasion to use the Roadster charger in several Tesla stores, and it would be REALLY nice to charge at 70 amps. When you've got your wife roaming around in a Mall it gets expensive the longer you have to stay!:wink:

I'm glad I did get the twin chargers and glad that I cancelled the HPWC.

The twin chargers are mainly useful for when you visit places with greater than 40 amp charging (such as Tesla stores) and while those aren't everywhere, if you visit or are near one, you'll be thankful from the first day that you're able to suck in a few more electrons while you visit that destination. As other have alluded to, its not worth it to retrofit due to the expense but with the original configuration, it's not too expensive.

The NEMA 14-50 outlet while charging at home is more than enough. In fact, I usually turned down the amps to 5 or 10 amps so that it will not charge too fast and finish way before the car is needed the next day. So instead of getting HPWC, use the extra money and install NEMA 14-50 outlets at your most common destinations -- parents, in-laws, etc.

If you're new to EV cars, what I've learned is that waiting for the car to charge at home is very easy because you have so much that can occupy you and help you pass the time (like sleep). However, killing time somewhere else outside your home while waiting for your car to charge goes by very slow, with the possible exception of the Superchargers.

Regarding the 3rd row and tech package. One thing I didn't know when we originally ordered them, is that there is a button on the inside of the trunk for the kids to open and close the liftgate by themselves. Our kids are a little older and they are able to get in and out on their own without much help from us.

Regarding P85 versus standard 85. Be honest with yourself. If you're the kind of person that always went for that bigger motor and actually used it, and the P85 is within reach, then you have your answer.

I love the dark blue color on my car, but it is REALLY hard to keep clean. Wish I'd picked the dolphin grey color.

If I had one regret, It would be my color choice. The blue is a bear to keep clean.

I had it detailed this past week. During the process, it was collecting dust/pollen/airborne particles real-time at a rate that was readily noticeable. Probably would have gotten grey or silver.

> always been happy with a standard suspension ride. [ddruz]

I give major props to the air suspension! How much this contributes to the overall Model S experience we won't know until S owners begin to try out the new 'steelers'. I definitely need HIGH due to driveway issues but have never needed extra-high yet. Yesterday went up the (dry) forest road and was amazed at how smoothly the S handled road chatter. Not only smoothed it out but kept the power going into the road without wheel spin. TC may have helped here but I did not notice any indicator light going on. It was like my Subaru Forester which has AWD.
--

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this one...
All in all I'm very happy with the choices I made. Given fewer budgetary constraints (we were already about $15k over our intended budget) I would have gotten the blue color and would have LOVED to have had the Performance. I also would have gotten the Signature series just to get it sooner and for bragging rights...again, that's assuming no budgetary restrictions.

Given that this car was twice what we'd ever paid for a car before I think I can say that I'm very happy with the choices. I think that I'll end up spending more on car washes to keep the black paintclean in the first 2 years than I would have if I'd have gotten a color that doesn't show the dirt as badly, so perhaps that's something I could have used to convince my wife to splurge on a color.

I'm glad I have the air suspension, I wouldn't have gotten it except for the fact that it would have delayed my getting the car--which just wasn't an option after waiting almost 4 years since putting down my deposit.

I'm happy with the Tech package, I think the benefit of turn by turn disk based Nav alone makes it worth while, but the accent lights, auto handles and hatch are the sort of conveniences that make the car that much more special.

I'm happy to not have the pano roof--I just never use the damn things and the added wait, potential for leaks, etc just aren't worth it for me, personally. That said, it would be nice to be able to open it to vent and to have the additional head room (not that that's been an issue for us yet). Wish I could just lower the side windows remotely for ventilation purposes.

I'm REALLY glad to have the twin chargers. I know the general concensus is "you don't really need it", but I have to tell you, it's helped me out on a couple of occasions already--I could have done without, but it saved me quite a bit of time using it. I'm also rural enough that any drive to regional centers is going to involve a recharge and having the option to pump in enough charge on a HPWC from a fellow Tesla owner is a HUGE plus for me. I also believe that over the next couple of years we'll see more 70amp Level II public chargers coming out and being able to take advantage is important. Absolutely no regrets there. Likewise the 85kWh Battery--given the better range, warranty, performance, included supercharging and sense of confidence, easily worth it.

I do waver on the paint armor issue...I hate those lines you see at the edge of the armor, so I think I'd want a total coverage type of armor and, honestly, I can deal with a few chips here and there, my OCD isn't so bad yet that I freak out about those. Probably worth not getting it.

Premium Audio--haven't listened to standard yet, and I'm NOT a hypercritical audiophile--I like the sound I get from the system that's in there, I think the base is deep and rich enough for the sort of listening I do. Glad to have XM, but I listen to Slacker more often currently. Will likely have to make a decision on whether to continue to pay for Slacker or not--gotta keep XM for my sports addiction if for no other reason.

I really like the Tan Interior. Had planned on the gray until they said it would be delayed, black is just too hot, and white, with 3 kids would have been idiotic.