Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I purchase AP thru website, how long will it take to become operational

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered AP last Wednesday, kept on wifi until yesterday morning, no update. On a business trip at the moment, my car in airport parking, it updated to 2019.5.15 through cell connection an hour ago.

Question, is it possible my AP will update through cell connection also? I know it says wifi, but what the heck? I have a pretty weak wifi connection in my home garage, like 1 bar, wondering if that's my issue for not getting the AP update earlier?

I’d expect the AP update is a low data event.

On a side note, I travel a lot.

Do you find yourself raging when you’re driving a rental?

I had a Malibu last week and HOLY *sugar* soooo unbelievably terrible.

• Funny
Reactions: Hans L

Oh yeah I'm driving a Kia today, what a piece of crap. But realistically, even my old '16 TT seemed like a piece of crap compared to my 3, but really loved the lines on that TT though!

I have all Apple stuff in our house, including an Apple Extreme router.....but it's just not reaching good enough into my garage. Was never an issue until I got the 3, may have to upgrade to a mesh system and stick a node directly in the garage.

Reactions: Hans L and BenPrice
just an update on my situation, i was stuck in autopilot install limbo but then received a notification that i had a software update for 2019.5.15. Checked this morning and that update installed and cleared everything out. Had the successful update and autopilot this morning for the drive in to work. Now to debate buying FSD now that its a guarantee prices go up monday.

just an update on my situation, i was stuck in autopilot install limbo but then received a notification that i had a software update for 2019.5.15. Checked this morning and that update installed and cleared everything out. Had the successful update and autopilot this morning for the drive in to work. Now to debate buying FSD now that its a guarantee prices go up monday.
I'm in your exact boat here. The upgrade screen kinda hung last night while I was out. I rebooted, drove home, 10 minutes later my car said there was a software update. I let it go then went to bed. Woke up this morning, car is on 2019.5.15 and autopilot is now there. I read the news about the prices going back up on Monday, so yeah, I'm thinking REAL hard about buying FSD. It's almost like an investment in the car's value at this point. FSD will bump up the resale price of the car by potentially more than it currently costs.

So if prices are going back up to originals, is the new way of packaging the features going back to the original also? I would assume so, but then what does that mean for us who bought only the new basic AP package at $2k? Are we going to be upgraded to the old EAP package, or will there just always be a small set of cars with this abandoned basic AP package?

This is getting way to convoluted.

I was finally able to get out of the AP update by resetting the car. I left it alone at work for a few hours and it wouldn't install AP. Finally got home and connected to WiFi, and boom it finally worked after a few mins. For those that are having trouble with that AP installation screen, try connecting to WiFI, that did the trick for me.

I'm in your exact boat here. The upgrade screen kinda hung last night while I was out. I rebooted, drove home, 10 minutes later my car said there was a software update. I let it go then went to bed. Woke up this morning, car is on 2019.5.15 and autopilot is now there. I read the news about the prices going back up on Monday, so yeah, I'm thinking REAL hard about buying FSD. It's almost like an investment in the car's value at this point. FSD will bump up the resale price of the car by potentially more than it currently costs.

Imma do it

Just an FYI if your AP update gets stuck at “Software Update in Progress.” I tried the soft reset many times with no luck. I just got off chat session with support and here is the fix since it showed completed on Tesla’s side: Safety and Security -> Power Off -> shut the car door -> wait 3 mins -> get back in car -> hold both steering wheel buttons down until Tesla T shows on screen. Once screen comes back up you’ll see the AP settings now.

• Helpful
Reactions: JBT66
Just an FYI if your AP update gets stuck at “Software Update in Progress.” I tried the soft reset many times with no luck. I just got off chat session with support and here is the fix since it showed completed on Tesla’s side: Safety and Security -> Power Off -> shut the car door -> wait 3 mins -> get back in car -> hold both steering wheel buttons down until Tesla T shows on screen. Once screen comes back up you’ll see the AP settings now.

Thanks this worked for me. Slightly different as I didn’t need to actually get out of the car.

It booted back up with out AP, but a few minutes later it rebooted all on its own and came back with AP enabled!

Reactions: SgtLou02

Did that exact sequence multiple times in the past week without success.

YES!! I travel every week (typically Mon-Fri) and I absolutely hate driving rentals. Drove from San Diego to Los Angeles last week and was pulling my hair out.

In five hours I will be at 7 days since I purchased AutoPilot and still don’t have it. This is very frustrating when Tesla themselves set the expectation of “up to 3 days”. :mad:

It definitely might be worth it for you to contact them using the chat system. That's where I have had the most luck. Yesterday I asked them over the chat system for information on how to initiate a refund (if I didn't have it by the end of this week), and it showed up on my car within 10 minutes of that conversation. They did get on my case saying that the '3 days' is supposed to be interpreted as 3 BUSINESS days... But it doesn't explicitly say that.