TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

If it all goes wrong, what will we buy?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by sparkypete, Apr 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sparkypete

sparkypete Member

There's no real news at the moment and probably won't be until June / July.

So in the meantime and as we've already mentally spent the money, instead of worrying about being disappointed over every little detail let's think about the alternatives we could buy instead.

I still don't think I could justify a Model S. I'm willing to spend about £40,000 to £45,000 on my Model 3 including taxes and EV incentives ($50,000 to $56,000).

For that money over here there's not a lot with 4 seats that excites me unless I buy used. Porsche Macan maybe but I'm going off the whole SUV thing and this is a second car so mileage is low. Used BMW M3 or Audi S5? Panamera? No, not feeling it.

Hmmm. Maybe the Model 3 hasn't got to be perfect to be a lot more exciting than anything else in that price bracket.

What would you go for?

2. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

Maybe I'd do a complete 180 from an EV and go full-balls ICE.........

Home

(rumored) 1,000+ HP V8 American muscle car, because midlife crisis, that's why!!!!

• Like x 2
  3. T34ME

T34ME Member

I will continue to drive my 2012 Prius Plug-In, a great car that gets 70/75 mpg. But nothing is going wrong. I am anticipating my TM3 with great excitement!

• Like x 4
  4. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I'd probably get another Model S. However, assuming I didn't want to pay that much money, there was something about the Model 3 that made it completely unacceptable to me and my current Model S stopped working, then I suppose I'd get a Bolt. It would be sad, but it would fit my needs fine and I'm never ever ever going to buy a stupid ICE car again.

However, I'm pretty confident I'll like the Model 3 better than the Bolt.

5. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Rumours have the Ioniq having a 200 mile range "by 2018." I don't know if that means the 2018 model year, or calender year. If everything come crashing down I'd take a look at the Ioniq.

• Like x 1
  6. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

I have thought about this a few times also.

I would probably go away from electric (please don't hate me for this) and get a Porsche Cayman S (I just love their styling) and I would get my wife a nice small to mid-sized SUV (also CPO) by trading in what we currently have.

I agree with the others here though that nothing will go wrong,

7. Petra

Petra Member

If they somehow manage to completely screw up the Model 3 (doubtful, but still possible given the strong preferences my wife and I have when it comes to ergonomics), we'd just keep our current Accord and either wait for Tesla to sort things out, wait for the other manufacturers to catch up, or just buy a second Model S if we get tired of waiting.

We decided back in 2013 that we'd likely never buy another ICE vehicle again.

• Like x 1
  8. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I saw a Chevy Bolt in person, I went home and issued a buy order for another 100 shares of TSLA.

Correct answer is wait till the 3 fixes it self (if it needed to be) or buy an S.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  9. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

The new gen BMW 5 series probably.

10. Weezer Fan

Weezer Fan Member

I have considered the Chevy Volt. The back end is very useful. And, I could drive it from Denver to KC.

11. nikeykid

nikeykid Member

12. ApauloThirteen

Maybe used S or new Leaf. There's gonna be a lot of diff full EV 200 mi+ range cars in a few yrs. No worries. Although that supercharger thing sure is nice to have in a pinch... I imagine. :)

13. T34ME

T34ME Member

• Like x 1
  14. nikeykid

nikeykid Member

let me rephrase, it looks slightly better than the current leaf. and it's a hatchback! and... 60kwh battery... that's what's important.

15. arjay

arjay member

Probably go towards one of the Mercedes 200 mile range versions promised in 2018. Hopefully, Tesla will have enhanced itself over the first 6-12 months encouraging me to live with that delay to get what I originally thought I was buying with available options.

16. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

<------ An excellent choice.....BTW.......

17. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

I think I'll still forge ahead, with hopes it will all be sorted in service pack 2...

• Funny x 1
  18. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

While I'd prefer to go with an S if I couldn't get the 3, I suspect If it all goes wrong then the S would no longer be an option.

• Like x 1
  19. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

the only real other option is to wait till 2018 or possibly 19 when Hyundai will fit it's Ioniq with a 60kwh battery pack. (so similar range to a 75kwh model s)

20. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Don't like the Leaf or Bolt designs but i like that they're environmentally friendliest. I don't like the Ioniq range but the hybrid would probably work perfectly for me and the design looks more to my taste. If not those (for whatever reason), then I'd weigh a bunch of midsize non-luxury ice sedans with leather, sunroof and semi autonomous/safety features.