Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If it all goes wrong, what will we buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no real news at the moment and probably won't be until June / July.

So in the meantime and as we've already mentally spent the money, instead of worrying about being disappointed over every little detail let's think about the alternatives we could buy instead.

I still don't think I could justify a Model S. I'm willing to spend about £40,000 to £45,000 on my Model 3 including taxes and EV incentives ($50,000 to $56,000).

For that money over here there's not a lot with 4 seats that excites me unless I buy used. Porsche Macan maybe but I'm going off the whole SUV thing and this is a second car so mileage is low. Used BMW M3 or Audi S5? Panamera? No, not feeling it.

Hmmm. Maybe the Model 3 hasn't got to be perfect to be a lot more exciting than anything else in that price bracket.

What would you go for?

I'd probably get another Model S. However, assuming I didn't want to pay that much money, there was something about the Model 3 that made it completely unacceptable to me and my current Model S stopped working, then I suppose I'd get a Bolt. It would be sad, but it would fit my needs fine and I'm never ever ever going to buy a stupid ICE car again.

However, I'm pretty confident I'll like the Model 3 better than the Bolt.

I have thought about this a few times also.

I would probably go away from electric (please don't hate me for this) and get a Porsche Cayman S (I just love their styling) and I would get my wife a nice small to mid-sized SUV (also CPO) by trading in what we currently have.

I agree with the others here though that nothing will go wrong,

If they somehow manage to completely screw up the Model 3 (doubtful, but still possible given the strong preferences my wife and I have when it comes to ergonomics), we'd just keep our current Accord and either wait for Tesla to sort things out, wait for the other manufacturers to catch up, or just buy a second Model S if we get tired of waiting.

We decided back in 2013 that we'd likely never buy another ICE vehicle again.

Reactions: ApauloThirteen
Probably go towards one of the Mercedes 200 mile range versions promised in 2018. Hopefully, Tesla will have enhanced itself over the first 6-12 months encouraging me to live with that delay to get what I originally thought I was buying with available options.

Don't like the Leaf or Bolt designs but i like that they're environmentally friendliest. I don't like the Ioniq range but the hybrid would probably work perfectly for me and the design looks more to my taste. If not those (for whatever reason), then I'd weigh a bunch of midsize non-luxury ice sedans with leather, sunroof and semi autonomous/safety features.