Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If it all goes wrong, what will we buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't actually need a new car, but almost 11k in credits (between state and federal) is just too good to pass up. We bought our last car during the whole cash-for-clunkers program and that extra 4k from the government worked out great. This should be even better.

If this turns out to be a weird mobile with bad reviews and an interior with less going on than a padded room with a straight jacket and/or the credits don't pan out due to some production delay I'll just keep driving my old one.

i already have an EV (rav4 ev) but if the model 3 isnt what I want, i think I would get a used model S. However, many auto makers are also stepping up to the plate, so I figure I will have many options soon.

I'm also acquiring parts to turn my turbo integra into an EV, because I'm an EV fan.

On a side note, I understand that some people here are only tesla fans (and dont truly care about EVs), and will support tesla on just about anything they do... and thats fine. But, I wish there were more EV fans on this forum.

i already have an EV (rav4 ev) but if the model 3 isnt what I want, i think I would get a used model S. However, many auto makers are also stepping up to the plate, so I figure I will have many options soon.

I'm also acquiring parts to turn my turbo integra into an EV, because I'm an EV fan.

On a side note, I understand that some people here are only tesla fans (and dont truly care about EVs), and will support tesla on just about anything they do... and thats fine. But, I wish there were more EV fans on this forum.

it's more than all other EVs are crap.

For me, none of the other EVs are worth being excited about. While they're OK for city use, they're impractical for trips that I regularly take here in Texas. I wouldn't at all care to drive a Bolt to my sister's place outside of Robstown, or my aunt's place in Bandera, due to the slower charge rates and the need to recharge on the way due to high speed limits, distance, excessive heat, etc. Sure a solution will eventually be put in place, but those EVs would still be relatively slow to recharge. To date only Tesla has understood the need to facilitate road trips. As such, I'm a fan of Tesla, but none of the other EVs.

Reactions: Bokonon
it's more than all other EVs are crap.
They aren't all crap, and a foolish thing to say. I dont know your driving history, but your comment makes me wonder if you have extensively driven or owned an EV for you to make such a statement. Even if you still believe they are all crap, understand that they wont all wont be crap forever. Here in the bay area, I see all types of EVs, and many satisfied owners. Sometimes we forget that not everyone wants or can afford even a model 3. Different people have different needs, budgets, commutes, etc. We need to support the EV movement, not just a "tesla or bust" attitude. Dont forget, that's what Tesla motors want! More EVs on the road!

The thread title got my attention. I've been wondering if I placed an order for a model 3, how long it would be before I actually get it. With all the people who already put down a deposit, I could be dead before I'd get mine. So I am thinking of alternative vehicles now. I just don't want to wait that long unless I see they will release 3 on time and build a lot of them quickly.

If I go to my local Tesla store, open the door to a Model 3 and find I have to crank my head over to get in, I'll be looking for a different car. If I settle into the cockpit and it feels like a barren room designed to be accessorized with a straitjacket, I'll be looking for a different car. Same if the floating display looks flimsy or dangerous to knees.
Since there are no acceptable alternatives (yet), that means nursing the old Gen 1 Prius for another year until there are good alternatives, or selling the old Prius and calling my Triumph my "daily driver".
That would be an adventure of a different kind.
Robin

Reactions: jsanford
The thread title got my attention. I've been wondering if I placed an order for a model 3, how long it would be before I actually get it. With all the people who already put down a deposit, I could be dead before I'd get mine. So I am thinking of alternative vehicles now. I just don't want to wait that long unless I see they will release 3 on time and build a lot of them quickly.

Would a Model S be out of your price range? It's unknown on Model 3 build time. If you believe the bears on Stocktwits, 50% will cancel their Model 3 reservations (I don't).

I don't know if I would -cancel- my Model 3 but I would probably -defer- my buildout/delivery if I can't get a Performance/AWD version on the first go round.

• Informative
Reactions: KrenGrl
I have no interest in any EV made today other than what Tesla is making, nor will I just buy whatever they make. If I can't/don't follow through with my 3 purchase I would consider an S but the cost for that keeps increasing, so most likely I will stick with ICE. I'm not interested in something that merely gets me and my things from point A to point B. If manufacturers want me to buy an EV and not just meet govt mandates (Tesla seems like the only one) they will have to provide more exciting options. I don't even care about automation or long distance travel and all other options still fall short.

Volt seats only 4. I own a Gen 2 and have a Gen 1. Gen 2 has 5 seat backs but still.. only seats 4.

My daughter puts 3 in the back all the time when she uses the 2016 or 2017 Volts. I've even done it a couple times unexpectedly. "We have one/two more, is that a problem?" "Naw, but you better be GOOD friends." Using the 2016+17, we loaded 10 to a HS function 2 hours away. They all arrived intact.