Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If it all goes wrong, what will we buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chevrolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf Gen 2 or whatever else I consider to be the best available "affordable" long-range/long-distance BEV from a company I don't hate enough not to buy from.

Then around 2023, we'll replace our Gen 1 Volt with whatever I think is a decent near-EREV/EREV. Unless of course there are reasonably-priced autonomous cars by then, in which case I'll just keep running the Gen 1 Volt until it dies and then use autonomous taxis.

Reactions: internalaudit
i already have an EV (rav4 ev) but if the model 3 isnt what I want, i think I would get a used model S. However, many auto makers are also stepping up to the plate, so I figure I will have many options soon.

I'm also acquiring parts to turn my turbo integra into an EV, because I'm an EV fan.

On a side note, I understand that some people here are only tesla fans (and dont truly care about EVs), and will support tesla on just about anything they do... and thats fine. But, I wish there were more EV fans on this forum.
Not everybody are Tesla fans. It's just that Tesla makes the best EVs at the moment.

I'm looking at the other manufacturers with interest, but the only one that has caught my eye other than Tesla is the Ioniq. If it had a bigger battery it'd be a better car. That's coming in the next year or so.

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
The Model 3 will come. Not sure when, but it will.

The only reason I will buy a Model 3 is that I believe it will be part of history. Historians will note the release of the Model 3 as a milestone in the history of the automobile.

Last edited:
Reactions: wilhelmspencer
If I end up disliking what the final interior looks like, or that I am going to get hosed on cost for the configurations I am wanting, or for whatever reason I just am not feeling it anymore, I will probably do something drastic.

Single with no kids, what time is better than now to lease a sports car for 3 years and let Tesla sort themselves out?

Build your 2017 F-TYPE - SUMMARY

I have thought about this a few times also.

I would probably go away from electric (please don't hate me for this) and get a Porsche Cayman S (I just love their styling) and I would get my wife a nice small to mid-sized SUV (also CPO) by trading in what we currently have.

I agree with the others here though that nothing will go wrong,

Unless that little German engineering factory goes on strike....

Would a Model S be out of your price range? It's unknown on Model 3 build time. If you believe the bears on Stocktwits, 50% will cancel their Model 3 reservations (I don't).

I don't know if I would -cancel- my Model 3 but I would probably -defer- my buildout/delivery if I can't get a Performance/AWD version on the first go round.

Good question. As for model S, I thought about and forgot about it. Not out of my price range, but is out of my "desire range" ;-) I'm really just looking for a lower cost EV car for commuting and not so much hung up on all the fancy goodies. Electricity is cheap where I live and commute, so cheaper to drive than oil and ideally not as many things to fix in an EV car compared to ICE cars. Yes, I know they are both complicated, some more so than others. I might just buy a lesser expensive new ice car. Still on the fence and watching progress on model 3. And no, I don't follow what the media or ANALysts say about stocks :rolleyes:

It all depends on how much "goes wrong" If the SC network makes it to North Dakota and was still functional, I'd be willing to go for a used/CPO S. If those don't get built, then an EV doesn't really work for me when I make trips there so I'd either keep my current ICE or the Chevy Volt. (Realistically, the Volt probably makes more sense than the 3 since I'll drive 300-600 miles in a shot thru that frozen tundra and less stops are nice.)