Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If it starts raining?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I have my Model Y locked/on sentry mode, parked out in the hot Texas sun (windshield silver reflecting shades in place), and the car is trying to keep the interior temp below 105:
  1. is it better to VENT the windows using the app or just keep the windows closed and let it use more battery life(?) to keep things cooler,
  2. if I do VENT the windows, is the Y smart enough to sense rainfall and CLOSE the vented windows?
    NOT worried about varmints, just thunderboomers coming along and drenching the inside of the doors/seats. I'm inside a clinic and not always able to be aware of outside conditions. Of course, also want to waste as little stored battery power as possible.
  3. I do realize I can turn the climate control down to 70 degrees about 15 minutes before I get off work, which I love when I can remember to do it.
  4. Is there an app that might do that for me automatically on the days I set it to do so? IOW, Mon-Thurs, set climate control to 70 degrees at 5:45pm?
  5. FInally, if it is NOT smart enough to auto-close vented windows when it is able to detect rainfall, how do I submit a WIBLI (Wouldn't It Be Lovely If....) to someone at Tesla to consider adding that function?

If I have my Model Y locked/on sentry mode, parked out in the hot Texas sun (windshield silver reflecting shades in place), and the car is trying to keep the interior temp below 105:
  1. is it better to VENT the windows using the app or just keep the windows closed and let it use more battery life(?) to keep things cooler,
  2. if I do VENT the windows, is the Y smart enough to sense rainfall and CLOSE the vented windows?
    NOT worried about varmints, just thunderboomers coming along and drenching the inside of the doors/seats. I'm inside a clinic and not always able to be aware of outside conditions. Of course, also want to waste as little stored battery power as possible.
  3. I do realize I can turn the climate control down to 70 degrees about 15 minutes before I get off work, which I love when I can remember to do it.
  4. Is there an app that might do that for me automatically on the days I set it to do so? IOW, Mon-Thurs, set climate control to 70 degrees at 5:45pm?
  5. FInally, if it is NOT smart enough to auto-close vented windows when it is able to detect rainfall, how do I submit a WIBLI (Wouldn't It Be Lovely If....) to someone at Tesla to consider adding that function?
no its not smart enough to roll up the windows. The only is to roll up windows when the door closes. Its better to use the cabin temperature feature. A vented window wil allow debris to enter the vehicle. You can turn on climate control automatically if temperature reaches above 105. So to me the solution to your problem is to use cabin mode on the extreme hot days. if not no point to cool the car down all day.

You can set Cabin Overheat Protection to only run the HVAC fan, not run the AC. In this case the interior temperature of the Tesla vehicle may exceed 105F but it will be cooler than if you do not have the HVAC fan set to run. The energy used to run only the HVAC fan versus the AC compressor is minimal.

Last edited:
Reactions: hcdavis3
  1. I do realize I can turn the climate control down to 70 degrees about 15 minutes before I get off work, which I love when I can remember to do it.
  2. Is there an app that might do that for me automatically on the days I set it to do so? IOW, Mon-Thurs, set climate control to 70 degrees at 5:45pm?
@Texarc I have not tried setting up any automations like this but do recall that some in the community with Android phones have used Tasker Tasker - Apps on Google Play along with the Tesla plugin for Tasker Tasker Plugin for Tesla - Automate your Tesla! - Apps on Google Play with some success. I think with Tasker you can set up time-based schedules such as your Mon-Thurs 5:45pm time to trigger actions such as turning on the climate using the plugin. There is a small 1-time cost for both Tasker and the plugin -- just over $7 Canadian for the two combined, not sure what they cost in USD but would guess around $5-6 combined.

If you're using an iPhone, I'm less sure here but think you could probably set up a Siri routine or something? Maybe someone can help further--I'm an Android guy. :)

Regarding wishlist items, it seems the only way is to tweet at Elon Musk on Twitter and hope for the best.

All venting the windows is going to do is let in hot air. Granted, I'm not in Texas but it's plenty hot here in NJ in the summer. We've had a bunch of days over 95 so far. I find that the COP lowers the temp pretty quickly so if you vent the windows you're just letting in hotter air. Just remember that COP is only good for a 12-hour period. may need to wake the car up after that time to restart it. And it doesn't really seem to use a lot of energy.

I think it is possible to do this, if Tesla decided to add this new feature, but it would come at a cost. The wipers have an auto setting which relies on the front camera to see obstructions on the windshield, i.e. rain or dirt or snow, to cause the wipers to turn on and clear it away. So if the MY was awake, that camera could be used to look for rain and it would be possible. The penalty would be your MY will not able to go to sleep while doing this rain detect, and the energy used to watch that camera and process for rain detection. I assume enabling this feature would be a hit to your battery similar to enabling sentry mode. It could be a bit less since not full sentry mode and not all sensors and cameras are needed.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung