Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still no confirmation from anywhere here about lower cost MCU2 replacements when your MCU1 fails while under warranty?
My MCU1 failed this week, and was told I can get a replacement MCU1 for ~$350 (or $200 with my extended warranty deductible).

I'll try and see if I can get a quote for less than $2500 for replacing a dead MCU1 under warranty with an MCU2.
(I'm dealing with the Tesla service center in Santa Clara, CA)

I think others have tried and failed. Tesla only give you a refurbished MCU/1 for one that has failed under warranty or even the $350 for out of warranty. The Infotainment Ugrade Package which includes MCU/2 and IC/2 is a paid option for $2500. The newly announced Radio Upgrade for the Infotainment Ugrade Package is going to be in addition to the $2500.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
Still no confirmation from anywhere here about lower cost MCU2 replacements when your MCU1 fails while under warranty?
My MCU1 failed this week, and was told I can get a replacement MCU1 for ~$350 (or $200 with my extended warranty deductible).

I'll try and see if I can get a quote for less than $2500 for replacing a dead MCU1 under warranty with an MCU2.
(I'm dealing with the Tesla service center in Santa Clara, CA)

Let us know how Tesla responds... I also have the ESA plan.

I would like to see them deduct the price of whatever an MCU1 costs them to just "upgrade" a user to an MCU2 if it fails and they're under warranty but I can see a couple of problems that that could cause. The first may not be something that you or I do but a LOT of people who don't have morals would intentionally try to get their MCU1 to "fail" just to get a discount on an upgrade. The other issue that could happen is that suddenly they've got a massive back stock of MCU1's that nobody wants that will just fill landfills.

I'm a great example of someone who is fine with the MCU1 and it's performance, more so when new obviously. If my MCU1 fails I'm perfectly fine with getting a "refurbished" MCU1 as a replacement for free. It will be better than the outgoing device and it was covered under warranty and Tesla has the right under the terms of the warranty to replace the part with a "like" condition part. Now, in the same scenario where I can pay a thousand dollars (made up number) I'd pay for the upgrade because I'm no dummy and I can see the benefit for the price tag and can justify it. I just can't justify the full $2,500 so I'm not interested.

I think most people would choose to "upgrade" to MCU2 for nearly any amount short of $2,500 and Tesla would end up with a TON of MCU1's on-hand. Right now, if they can convince people to take those for replacement it also saves them hard costs for warranty work.

tl;dr I can fully understand why Tesla isn't allowing an "upgrade difference" type deal. At least not right now. Perhaps once they dry up their stock of refurb MCU1's and/or daughter boards. That daughter board replacement introduction has made for a quick and cheap way to keep these MCU1's on the road so I don't see this happening anytime soon.