Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scratching my head on this one. You'd think Tesla could at least split the labor component off from the $2.5k, cost it out to the warranty, and then the customer pays the part costs. Seems like a win-win for all?

It would be, except that it would provide an incentive for people to get their MCU1 to fail within the warranty period. Unfortunate since it would be hugely popular. Maybe someday they’ll run out of refurb MCU1’s, but considering how many are out there I’m not holding my breath.

So long as Tesla still has MCU1 cars under warranty, they owe you some sort of replacement. Upgrades can be at THEIR discretion of course - just not yours.
Exactly. A best case scenario IMO is they do (and may have already short of refurbing smoked eMMC MCU1 they take in on warranty exchange) EOL the MCU1 at which point it's just a case of exhausting the supply of new/refurb MCU1 units. At that point the only option Tesla has left is to "upgrade" you to the MCU2 since it's now the only part they have left with which to replace your warrantied unit. We've seen similar events occur with older discontinued battery packs.

xactly. A best case scenario IMO is they do (and may have already short of refurbing smoked eMMC MCU1 they take in on warranty exchange) EOL the MCU1 at which point it's just a case of exhausting the supply of new/refurb MCU1 units.

You can't really exhaust the supply of refurb MCU1s, because for each one you replace you get another core to refurbish. Not to mention that every person that pays for the Infotainment upgrade is providing another core to be refurbished. (Unless they pay $1,000 to keep their MCU/IC.)

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
And they are just under one year away from most MCU1's falling out of their warranty period, right? Since MCU2 was introduced in Spring 2018 they likely wait until then before they EOL it. Then if MCU1 fails, it would be a forced upgrade to MCU2 at owner's expense.

Unless my math is off or I'm missing something.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC