TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

If Model 3 doesn't look better than this...

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Mr X, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

0VDVRcK.jpg

PvWdUp0.jpg

L9DBU2d.jpg

I might just end up keeping my Volt (or get a Model S). It pretty much looks like a mini Tesla already.

But we'll see come the 31st!

2. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

ha, it really does!

3. MassModel3

MassModel3 Member

Wow, I never noticed until now just how HUGE that shark fin antenna looks on the Volt! (Is Chevy compensating for something???)

I can at least say with absolute certainty that the Model 3 will have nothing to do with those horrid things!

The front of the volt is not very attractive, but otherwise there's only so much a manufacturer can do with overall shape to get the best mix of aerodynamics and utility out of a car. And still look like a typical car rather than a weird-mobile. But in all black, your Volt does have a bit of a coolness factor that I've never related to a Volt before. Except for that antenna...

4. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

In all black it hides the ugly Chevy grill, and almost looks like it could be an Acura. Normally I think the new Volt is "eh" but I do like it like this.

5. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

Not a fan of those all black wheels. Makes the wheels look like those tiny donut spare wheels on cars. When combined with the yellow calipers the yellow part looks like the warning label on a donut tire.

I'm not a big fan of the blacked out look. I have no doubt the Model 3 will look much better than the Volt.

6. Jamriman

Jamriman Member

Model 3 is going to blow away the Volt. I have a 2015 Volt and will most likely dump it for the new Tesla.

7. Audrey

Audrey Member

Of the non-Tesla options for AEV, I like the Volt's styling more than most. I think, despite Elon's claim on Twitter about something unfamiliar, the 3 will look quite similar to the S. But smaller, of course.

8. Big-T

Big-T Member

#8 Big-T, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    It'll look better. Trust me - I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

9. Justicepool

Justicepool Member

That's a sharp looking Volt!

10. cfsaxNY

cfsaxNY Member

with a 0.285 drag coefficient(2016 Volt) compared to Model 3 anticipated 0.20, can't see how they will look anything alike.

11. PTADO

PTADO Member

I honestly still prefer Gen 1 Volts over the new body style. The new ones are a mash-up between a Prius, Prius C, and a CR-Z. Gen 2 lost it's individuality IMO.

12. Sp4rky

Sp4rky Member

Personally after owning a Gen 1 Volt, I agree. Now it just looks like the previous gen Civic.
    I really enjoyed having a car that looked like it came straight from the Auto Show as a concept. The Volt was a "weird mobile" for sure, but I really enjoyed that car's styling.

ONTO MODEL 3!!!

13. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

The tail lights look like Ford Focus lights. A whole lot of different styles of lines and shapes going on with the new Volt. Like it is cobbled together from many cars. End result isn't bad, but it lacks the cohesiveness of a good looking car like the Model S. Hopefully the Model 3 will be a strong, clean and cohesive design like the S and X.

14. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

To each their own. As far as Volt's go, it's not bad. My biggest gripe with it is the massive T-shaped battery that takes up half the interior space. Second-gen is slightly better with a nominal middle seat in the back, but let's face it, it's mostly for a child seat.

15. boiler81

boiler81 Member

The 2016 Volt has the disadvantage of having to shoe-horn an ICE in the front and a fuel tank in the rear. Model 3 will have greater styling freedom with only a frunk up front.

16. heinzcatsoup

heinzcatsoup New Member

Chevy_Volt_Concept_NAIAS_2007_02.jpg

remember the original volt concept? I'd stop dreaming of a model 3 if they just released it like this.

17. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

I remember that Lutz jokingly stated that the Volt concept car would have had a better Cd if they ran it backwards through the wind tunnel : )

18. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

Holy Cow! How did it go from this concept design to the current Volt design? It's like 2 different cars! This design would have least got me in the door of a Chevy dealership, which I have never done in all the years I have been driving.

19. vortexz

vortexz Member

Yeah, I'm in the same spot as you, I never got into a Chevrolet dealership in all my years i've been driving cars !

20. Buckeye2320

Buckeye2320 Member

It was easy for Chevy to recycle the old Cavalier Z24 body for the Volt.
    Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 4.02.22 PM.png