TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

If No Regular Charging Outlet, Is Supercharging Once a Week Ok?

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by bayx, Jul 29, 2018.

1. bayx

bayx Member

I will be using my MX for short commutes (< 130 miles/week). I do not have access to a wall charger since I temporarily rent an Apt for another 7 months. So the only option I have to charge is the supercharging station. Would charging at a supercharging station for the next 7 months be ok for the batteries? How does this impact battery life, if at all?

People on this forum talk about the 12v battery going dead - can someone please elaborate what this means? Thx.

2. SSedan

SSedan Member

12volt is a small battery used to power electronics, it is drained and recharged something like 4-5 times a day, supercharging would have zero impact on that.
    Far as on the main battery, do what you have to but avoid spending time below 10% or above 90%, going past those limits is OK just don't leave it there.

3. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Since I commute a lot I hit superchargers several times a week ...nothing to worry about (except being overcrowded lol ) ....did for both my S and now X and nothing significant on battery degradation ...

4. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

Any parking garages nearby? Might be able to convince owner to install a couple of wall chargers ....Tesla sometimes gives them away. Then less time spent driving to Supercharger.

5. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I met someone in the same situation at the SCs, not sure they're on the forums though. Retirement transition and in an apt rental now for a little over a year and their only option is a SC (or destination L2's) I'm not sure on the frequency, but they basically grab it when they can and according to them it's 15-30 minutes at a time so they're probably not charging it to max and it was their way to keep the battery from degrading. True enough they showed up after me and left well before me...I sat for another 40 minutes.

6. Skidmark

Skidmark Member

Someone told me that when supercharging, all electronics and the air conditioner is run only off the 12v battery. If this is true, it could explain premature failure of the 12v battery if owners sit in the car while supercharging and leave the air on.

7. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

Interesting. I would like to know the answer of this as well.

8. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

OP, you could check out PlugShare.com, and there's an app for that. I'd also talk to the owner about installing charging, as I expect the need to charge EVs to grow greater to the point that chargers should become standard equipment for new homes (as part of building codes) along with solar / wind power.

9. bayx

bayx Member

Thanks all for the info. Talked to Apt management about installing chargers and they were pretty open to the idea.

• Like x 2
  10. bayx

bayx Member

Maybe Tesla could shed more light on this, I should ask this at delivery and post their response later here.

11. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

No; I'd be surprised if any of the fans even ran on 12v. ~99% sure it's only the electronics.

12. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

No way it could be the case. The chiller can take several kW. It would drain the 12V in minutes.