Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If not a Tesla, then what would you get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now there`s imho no real EV alternative to a Tesla if you want the complete package of range and performance.
And since Model S/X are WAY too big for me and the Model 3 will most likely not show up in germany before mid-end 2019 I might as well wait till VW/BMW/MERC/AUDI start offering their alternatives end 2019-2020 and then pick what I like best.

Until then we`ll just stick to our C/E-Classes.
I´m in no hurry to switch to an EV. What I´m really waiting for is lvl3+ autonomous driving.

ELR or Volt

Best EV's available

ELR's are in the $25,000-$30,000 range. Incredible price for what it is. And super unique and sexy. You dont see them on the road everyday. And when you do, you stare

I could bet on it that you guys are going to buy a german EV. Germans buy german :)
As I said already in the other thread. It`s not that "germans buy german" but germans don`t like paying 100k+ for something like a S100d just to be forced to drive ~130km/h max if they want to get above ~220km of range before they have to hope and pray for one of the sparse SCs to be around.....let alone wait 30 minutes before continueing to crawl on the right lane.

EVs and our Autobahn don`t get along well...and that`s before we`ve even talked about build quality and bangforbuck.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: AndreN and tescroft
According to Jaguar Land Rover HQ, I will be driving a 2019 Jaguar i-Pace on Sept 26th, which will be manufactured in Austria on July 13th.

It however is only a little cheaper than a MS/X and more than a Mdl 3.

Reactions: GSP
NADA, ZERO. We are a one car per person family and so far none of the other manufacturers have provided a vehicle with ubiquitous level 3 charging. Fishing for a DC Combo or Chade-Mo station along 3-5 network on a long range trip is my family's cupatea.

Mission E can KMA, it will be a Sunday morning show car if the DC Combo network does not proliferate.

Right now, here in Appalachia a SC opened in Cambridge OH, 40mi from me, and in Fall another one in Parkersbug, 20 mi away.

I TAKE THAT BACK, once kiddos go to college I am moving into a Model 3.

As I said already in the other thread. It`s not that "germans buy german" but germans don`t like paying 100k+ for something like a S100d just to be forced to drive ~130km/h max if they want to get above ~220km of range before they have to hope and pray for one of the sparse SCs to be around.....let alone wait 30 minutes before continueing to crawl on the right lane.

EVs and our Autobahn don`t get along well...and that`s before we`ve even talked about build quality and bangforbuck.

Pretty much this. Get's made worse by a lot of the expensive luxury sedans having 80-100L fuel tanks which gives them decent range even at high speeds.
Charging stations really are not sparse in germany though. Lots of SCs and CSS chargers around.

Depends obviously where you live. I.e. i used to a regular commute from the UK consisting of 450km outside of Germany followed by 200km in Germany and I'd quite happily do that in a Tesla.

After reading this thread with interest and bearing in mind our situation here in Afrika we were left with two options - wait till compelling EVs arrive here (or Tesla finally arrives) - 2-3 years - or grab the only viable EV available here...…...

OK so now we have now bought an i3!

Rex 94Ah 2017 demo - 6000kms - mint. From BMW agent - white and black with many options - rear view camera and park assist; glass electric roof; Harmon Kardon sound system; fancy 20" wheels etc.

Paid just under $40k - not cheap but a reasonable deal for here in Africa with no subsidies. Also the only suitable EV for us and it'll tide us over till we get a bigger SUV EV in 2-3 years (iPace or Tesla Model Y - maybe Merc EQ)

Hope not to use the Rex in our usual travels but it reassures my wife who does not want to be stranded as we have no public chargers here yet...…..

I was just not prepared (after 5 years) to wait any longer so this is an OK compromise and if it suits local travel it'll stay with us for years.

Thanks for all your helpful info and I'll report back in due course.

Guy

PS It was just about paid for by the Tesla shares I bought over the 5 years!

End of story..…...Wife really likes the i3. Here's the lowdown:

Can't test drive a T3 (waiting list) and the availability of the "base" models are possibly years away.

Her cousin has a Bolt and it is nice. Right now, have to order and wait for one in our town.

Historical issues with the battery cooler in the Leaf and her Nephew had one...…..rapidly lost its battery capacity over a few years (I know they've improved but left a bad omen in her mind).

Other vehicles (VW, etc) not really available here.

Daughter had leased an I3 some years ago and it is was nice to drive. New model even better. After the tax issues, a "loyalty rebate" (my last ICE was a Bimmer) and the local membership "big box" car deal, the cost came down significantly. So we test drove it. She really liked it, and it is a nice vehicle. Range could be over 100 miles, depending on conditions, and she is just using it as a city car. With a 20amp 220v in our garage, it will be easy. Car is ordered.

End of story..…...Wife really likes the i3. Here's the lowdown:

Can't test drive a T3 (waiting list) and the availability of the "base" models are possibly years away.

Her cousin has a Bolt and it is nice. Right now, have to order and wait for one in our town.

Historical issues with the battery cooler in the Leaf and her Nephew had one...…..rapidly lost its battery capacity over a few years (I know they've improved but left a bad omen in her mind).

Other vehicles (VW, etc) not really available here.

Daughter had leased an I3 some years ago and it is was nice to drive. New model even better. After the tax issues, a "loyalty rebate" (my last ICE was a Bimmer) and the local membership "big box" car deal, the cost came down significantly. So we test drove it. She really liked it, and it is a nice vehicle. Range could be over 100 miles, depending on conditions, and she is just using it as a city car. With a 20amp 220v in our garage, it will be easy. Car is ordered.
I3 sounds like the perfect choice for you, with nice low daily mileage needs.

I'll probably trade in my Model S in on a Taycan. I put myself on the waiting list, but it doesn't mean a whole lot. They don't require a deposit right now. That will change to a $2500 deposit when it gets closer.

Super bummed though that the Taycan won't have suicide doors like the concept.

Have our i3. For a "city car" it is pretty nice. Some information / updates:

Visiting our son in Bay Area (irony is we actually drove past the Tesla Factory) we were able to try out the Bolt. The good is the roominess, range and electric motor torque. The bad is the rear window visibility, the front-wheel drive handling under acceleration, no navigation other than through your phone, the "flimsiness" of the components (totally subjective), the "metaphor" of the instrument panel and dash (again subjective but we did not like it), and the weirdness of the "pull the handle behind to steering wheel to get regenerative braking" thing.

And, at the end of the day, after the various tax and other incentives, the monthly lease payment on the Bolt and the i3 is almost identical. BMW comes with a 2 year DC charger program (not quite the Tesla Supercharger we enjoy, but it is something) and ironically the charger for them is in the same complex as the SC I often use near my house.

IMHO, the i3 handles better, rides better and has better visibility. While it lacks the range and the Bolt's tight spot for a 3rd person in the back seat, the i3 seemed right for us. So we are now a 2 BEV family. My wife is dealing with a bit of range anxiety but she will get over it and is overall happy with the choice.

Reactions: ModelX
Some late follow-up. Mrs JPAZ LOVES her i3. She uses it daily and just plugs in each night into the 220v outlet we added. We've got my 50 amp outlet on my side and her 20 amp on her side. Just the other day she commented on how long it has been since she went to a gas station :)

The only time range was even close to an issue was when her brother was in town and used it for a day. He arrived home with "8 miles" left, per the instrument cluster. Had he called me, I would have told him how to get some charging while he was out and about.

I have been watching Bjorn on YouTube doing reviews on Kia eNiro. His math suggests that it should be 70 kWh battery pack but advertised as 64 kWh. He showed the battery was allowed to charge at 10kW rate even at 99% full. So there should be buffer at full charge. He did some testing, he could get almost 300 miles going about 60 mph.... similar to EPA test... wow.... Hyundai and Kia understated them (Kona/Niro).

Tesla Model 3 killer, no? But certainly a great option as a CUV.... with LFA feature as default without having to spend another $5k for autopilot. Get seat cooler feature too.... how cool. If it comes to US around $40k, that is great replacement for my wife’s Rav4ev. Way cheaper than a 3 with more utility. Don’t care about L3 access, I got the S for road trips already.... with free charging. Hehehe.

Unfortunately, this sounds like a hot car when it comes out. Don’t know if I can get my hand on one. :(

I have been watching Bjorn on YouTube doing reviews on Kia eNiro. His math suggests that it should be 70 kWh battery pack but advertised as 64 kWh. He showed the battery was allowed to charge at 10kW rate even at 99% full. So there should be buffer at full charge. He did some testing, he could get almost 300 miles going about 60 mph.... similar to EPA test... wow.... Hyundai and Kia understated them (Kona/Niro).

Tesla Model 3 killer, no? But certainly a great option as a CUV.... with LFA feature as default without having to spend another $5k for autopilot. Get seat cooler feature too.... how cool. If it comes to US around $40k, that is great replacement for my wife’s Rav4ev. Way cheaper than a 3 with more utility. Don’t care about L3 access, I got the S for road trips already.... with free charging. Hehehe.

Unfortunately, this sounds like a hot car when it comes out. Don’t know if I can get my hand on one. :(
Niro EV will be a pretty good car. However, it's not the same cargo utility as a RAV4 EV. It's a noticeably smaller car.

2018-06-08_14-03-14_257.jpeg

P.S. That's a Niro Hybrid, not an EV.