Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If not now, then....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been childishly coveting a model s for several years. I'm not remotely interested in any other car so long as it burns oil. I can afford it. But I've always held off because it just feels like a ridiculous, crazy, obnoxious amount of money to spend on a car. I don't have a commute, and maybe drive 10,000 miles a year. I really do not need this car, yet I still want it. I try to rationalise it by telling myself that I'd be contributing to the advancement of clean transport, which I care about, but who am I kidding.... it's a shiny piece of metal and if I care that much I should give the money to Greenpeace.
But I still want one.
Now.. my internal argument has come to a crunch point. I'm in the uk, and in five days prices will go up by 5%. Free supercharging will go at the same time. A government scheme that will lend me a proportion of the cost at 0% ends in a couple of months. Its my 45th birthday.
Should I finally commit? OR will I regret choosing this moment, because there are so many changes just around the corner? 100kwh battery in a few weeks perhaps. Revised cabin interior before the year is out, most likely. New 2170 based battery packs in a similar time scale.
My alternative is to wait for the model three, on which I have a deposit. But it likely won't get to the uk until 2019, and will be too small (particularly the boot). But maybe the model y will go on sale at the same time?
Please, someone convince me this is a rational, moral, sensible purchase, and that now is the best time to go for it.

There will always be improvements made to the car. You'll only have the latest and greatest for a very short time.

It sounds like you have done your research, and with the price increase coming, and the free supercharging going away, this may well be the best time to buy in a fairly long stretch of time.

Go for it!

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
I felt the same way. I never thought I would spend that much on a car. I'm retired so don't have a commute.
However, I took a test drive and had to have one.
Best car ever. I've had it for two years and love driving it all the time. Actually have put about 50,000 miles in two years since it's just so nice to drive. We take lots of road trips.
There will always be improvements down the road. If you wait for it to be "perfected", you'll never buy. The things you mention are minor improvements and no reason to delay.

I debated for months about the ridiculous amount of money these cars cost. I also drive around 10k miles a year but it's been 7 years since I purchased a car and I went big and ordered my CPO last week. YOLO and you are never guaranteed tomorrow. I still save plenty of money for retirement and for my kids college tuition. Why not?!

I am hoping this car motives me to take more road trips with the kids.

Reactions: pilotSteve
And....this is why I chose to lease my Model S. I knew damned well there'd be improvements, so I bought one set of revisions back (the facelift being the big revision for me). Then again, I usually wait until an update revision is made to ANYTHING I want, because then I buy the version about to be phased out. I do this with laptops, Intel processors, phones....and tennis rackets. I usually get great deals this way, like I did with my pre-facelift inventory P90DL

Buying a Model S now helps make the Model 3 happen, and you raise awareness of EVs for dozens of people around you, too. It's likely a more effective way of moving towards a better future than donating to Greenpeace, between the help to Tesla, the improvements to your life, and the influence it has on your social group.

Any Model S is an amazing car, and while I am expecting some great improvements in the future, I don't regret my X arriving two months before the AP2 announcement after having waited four months for the order - or any of the ten thousand miles I've put on it in the last four months.

Reactions: Doubletap67
Buy it. You've done your homework, so pull the trigger. You only get one shot at this life, enjoy it! And yea it's part of the Tesla credo to buy a new car and watch as the updates continue to pile up shortly after you bought. But trust me, you won't regret it.
When the first monthly payment was pulled from my account, I thought to myself, really?! For a car!?! Then I slid behind the wheel and realized it's all worth it.

First time poster here. I'm in the same boat. So much to pay for a car with a limited commute. I think I'm about to pull the trigger this week on the 60. I currently drive a Silverado and am in Texas, so I have no doubt this crowd will implore me to make the switch. I've never desired the higher end luxury sedans (MB, BMW, etc), but my recent Tesla experiences have made me a believer.

My motivations are not environmental nor do I buy everything Musk is selling. That said, I think they've built a badass car that should continue to improve through modest software improvements. Now appears to be as good a time as any. Just think - some dumb 31 year old in Texas is simultaneously making an equally rash decision with hedonist motivations! Cheers!

The 60S really isn't that expensive. And depreciation rates have been really good. Lower fuel cost, lower maintanence cost. I don't know what UK subsidies are, but true cost to own is probably lower than you think.
And, as posted above, you are gonna be dead someday either way!

I'm with you OP on the feeling that it's...

a ridiculous, crazy, obnoxious amount of money to spend on a car.

More than three years ago now the same doubts ran through my mind but I was intrigued (became obsessed?) and the environmental aspect made a difference to me, since I have 3 kids whose future I care about (but I'm not naive to think I am making any difference except for my own personal legacy). I was 48 at the time and I have worked hard all my life. No one handed me anything so I knew the value of a dollar. Casting my doubts aside, I decided to make the purchase and I've never looked back, even when AP came out shortly after I bought. Life is all about attitude and perspective. I was happy for those who got AP, not envious. I also don't like to lease. It's just not my style. I like to buy new and own outright and not have the bank own my vehicle and tell me how much I can drive per year, and how much I owe at the end of it if I want to buy the car.

No one is going to give me back the last 3 years I've had with my family and my car. I'm at the point of counting summers left (25 or so) and they sure go by fast. When I turned 51 recently a friend took out a tape measure, pulled it out to the average life expectancy of a Canadian male, grabbed 51" and told to look what is behind me and ahead of me, and that sure put my life in perspective.

Provided you can afford it -- I say go for it -- if you're anything like me your only regret will be that you didn't buy it sooner.

I have been childishly coveting a model s for several years. I'm not remotely interested in any other car so long as it burns oil. I can afford it. But I've always held off because it just feels like a ridiculous, crazy, obnoxious amount of money to spend on a car. I don't have a commute, and maybe drive 10,000 miles a year. I really do not need this car, yet I still want it. I try to rationalise it by telling myself that I'd be contributing to the advancement of clean transport, which I care about, but who am I kidding.... it's a shiny piece of metal and if I care that much I should give the money to Greenpeace.
But I still want one.
Now.. my internal argument has come to a crunch point. I'm in the uk, and in five days prices will go up by 5%. Free supercharging will go at the same time. A government scheme that will lend me a proportion of the cost at 0% ends in a couple of months. Its my 45th birthday.
Should I finally commit? OR will I regret choosing this moment, because there are so many changes just around the corner? 100kwh battery in a few weeks perhaps. Revised cabin interior before the year is out, most likely. New 2170 based battery packs in a similar time scale.
My alternative is to wait for the model three, on which I have a deposit. But it likely won't get to the uk until 2019, and will be too small (particularly the boot). But maybe the model y will go on sale at the same time?
Please, someone convince me this is a rational, moral, sensible purchase, and that now is the best time to go for it.
The fact that you are this close to ordering means the time is right and the time is now! I went through the same roller coaster of emotions for the last 2 years about ordering and not ordering and justifying the cost. And at one point, I was tired of drooling over tesla videos on youtube and just thinking about the technology. If you can afford it, BUY IT! Because you clearly love it, otherwise you wouldn't spend so much time researching, and certainly won't be on this forum, spending your time, of all places! Plus you are getting it subsidized by the government! And let me tell you my example - I am 29 yrs old and I made the decision to order one (ordered last month!) after weighing in every single factor that I could possibly think of for the next 7 years as part of my opportunity cost analysis. You only live once and if a car makes you happy, don't wait and get it! As someone here posted, the only regret you may have is not buying it sooner.

• Love
Reactions: BigAirHarper
Always hard to argue an emotional decision based on logic.

It is kinda like making a logical decision to have a child or not...everything changes the moment you hold your little boy/girl in your arms.

Get the Tesla. Drive it for 5 years or so, then decide to keep it or trade it in for an updated one.