TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

If offered the update are you delaying install of 5.8?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ACDriveMotor, Nov 17, 2013.

?

If offered are you taking the 5.8 update?

1. Yes I will / already have

73 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. No / I will wait for TMC to comment

36 vote(s)
    31.9%
  3. I have coil / don't care

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

I am just curious and not advocating for or against. How many people are opting out of the 5.8 update as a result of the uncertainty about Smart Air changes?

2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

I'm not installing, and waiting for statement from Tesla

3. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

I got the notice of the software upgrade on Friday. I figured Friday night was a good time for the upgrade. As an early owner I want the upgrade to be on the weekend in case it causes problems. I was still on 4.5 so I wanted to get the new features. After installing I learned here that the air suspension was changed without notice.

4. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

#4 Larry Chanin, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    I was in the same boat. I didn't have the option of installing 5.6 it was 5.8 or nothing. I didn't know about the air suspension issue when I did my upgrade this morning since Tesla didn't see fit to notify me. If I had know about it I would have proceeded anyway because I value the sleep mode (and faster Supercharging) more than what I hope to be a temporary loss of the automatic air suspension. It would be extremely unwise if Tesla made this loss of the automatic air suspension permanent.

I sincerely hope that they will quickly make a public announcement that this is merely a temporary measure. I'm a big fan of Tesla, but rushing out this 5.8 upgrade without explaining the reason for removing a feature that I paid for and which is prominently advertised on their website really was an unprofessional action that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

I voted that I installed the 5.8 update, but if I had 5.6 and knew that I would lose the automatic air suspension feature I would have deferred the 5.8 installation until I had more information from Tesla.

Larry

EDIT: Based on Nigel's reference below it appears that this issue may merely be a programming oversight, not a deliberate act of management to reduce functionality without notification. If so, my use of the term "unprofessional" may be too strong.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I received 5.6 a couple of days ago and yesterday I saw 5.8. Because I was planning a lot of driving, I didn't update. Now I'm glad I didn't even though 5.8 has some features I would like (such as the TPMS reset).

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

7. jerry33

I'd be really happy to discover this is true, but if so, I'll wager this will have cost Tesla $20K or more in support call time.

8. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

Do we have any confirmation of this fact? Have multiple people tested 100 MPH and confirmed? If so that would be great to hear as it should be an easy fix.

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Now 2 confirmations on the other thread.

10. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Thanks for making your poll question phrasing neutral.

11. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

But we don't have confirmation that pushing to 100 MPH was unintentional. It seems a funny coincidence I agree. Maybe a clever way to give themselves an out of this was poorly received by owners (as it turns out to be) - they could say "oops, our bad" and "fix" it.

In any case, am I going to be successful in dodging the update or will my car update itself anyway? If I can't dodge it I would rather do it now rather than some time of the car's choosing.

12. Geoff

Geoff Member

I am leaning towards waiting to install 5.8. I'm on 4.5 right now and it just works. Before I jump on board, I'll let you guys try it out first for a bit then upgrade.

13. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

I'm on 5.6 and have not been offered 5.8. I WILL wait. I've been wrong before but I'll be borderline shocked if this is intentional. I would think with the two threads going crazy on TMC the company should say something either way pretty quickly.

14. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

I was on 4.5 as well, the sleep improvement, TPMS reset (I have a 2nd set of tires/TPMS for winter), WiFi (though I can't get it to connect) all seem more important to me than the automatic lowering at highway speeds. Of course my new job is 5 miles from my house, and I usually take back roads, so highway lowering for improved range doesn't mean much to me... Also now my OpenEVSE can charge at 75A, it was automatically being set to 60A on scheduled charging on 4.5

There was enough new in this release that I think Tesla knew most of us would install it....

15. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

Don't get it serviced. They will automatically update to 5.8. They were told to do this according to my ranger.

16. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Ah shoot I got 5.8 this morning. there wan't any mention of changing the suspension. Why on earth would they remove low?

17. bosgig

bosgig Member

Not sure upgrading to 5.8 or holding off really matters much. Either 1) this is indeed a programming mistake and they'll fix it soon enough, 2) they'll realize owners are upset and they'll undo it soon enough, or 3) it was quite intentional, they don't care that owners are upset because it might prevent a couple of battery strikes, and it will be part of every software upgrade for the rest of time. So really, unless one plans on staying at 5.6 (or 4.5!) for the rest of time, the benefit of holding off is going to be short lived. Regardless, it would be nice to see some communication on this--presumably coming, if it was intentional anyway.

18. jerry33

Well, yes, if this is intentional we'll just have to eat it. But every time owners have to eat something it makes them that much less willing to recommend Tesla to others. I don't think Tesla can afford to alienate owners. They already have a tire-eating problem they need to solve (and it appears there is some progress on that).

19. bosgig

bosgig Member

No disagreement there.

20. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Responded on my iPad and accidentally hit yes, when in fact I have the update available and have/will not taken it. I don't know if a moderator can change my vote.