Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If OPEC buys Tesla...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a plausible scenario. Who has enough money to buy all of TSLA at $420/share? It's a pretty small list.

I never said it was "for sure" going to happen. I asked how everyone would feel about it if it did. I also stated how I would feel in the initial post.

OPEC is not an organization that can invest in a company. There are of course some quite rich countries in OPEC, with sovereign wealth funds that could invest. Of you're talking about the Saudis in particular I would dislike then becoming a very big and influential owner.

Opec Members.

Venezuela
298.40 billion barrels of proved reserves
$373.98 billion in 2013 GDP
Population – 29.99 million

Saudi Arabia
265.79 billion barrels of proved reserves
$745.27 billion in 2013 GDP
Population – 29.99 million

Iran
157.80 billion barrels of proved reserves
$366.26 billion in 2013 GDP
Population – 77.10 million

Iraq
144.21 billion barrels of proved reserves
$229.33 billion in 2013 GDP
Population – 35.10 million

Kuwait
101.5 billion barrels of proved reserves
$184.03 billion in 2013 GDP
Population – 3.96 million

United Arab Emirates (UAE)
97.80 billion barrels of proved reserves
$396.24 billion in 2013 GDP
Population – 8.46 million

Libya
48.36 billion barrels of proved reserves
$73.76 billion in 2013 GDP
Population – 6.30 million

Nigeria
37.07 billion barrels of proved reserves
$515.79 billion in 2013 GDP
Population – 172.29 million

Qatar
25.24 billion barrels of proved reserves
$202.17 billion in 2013 GDP
Population – 2.01 million

Algeria
12.20 billion barrels of proved reserves
$223.86 billion in 2013 GDP
Population – 38.30 million

Angola
9.01 billion barrels of proved reserves
$120.51 billion in 2013 GDP
Population – 19.18 million

Ecuador
8.83 billion barrels of proved reserves
$93.58 billion in 2013 GDP
Population – 15.78 million

To the OP point SA is NOT a country I would feel comfortable owning a controlling share in Tesla.
They are a repressive regime in matters that count.
Yes the new young shrieks or future kings (there is some modernity for you) understand that in order for their country so survive they need to diversify away from Oil..however they also continue to fund and propagate Wahhabism. That is a problem.

Reactions: EVCollies
To be clear so everyone's on the same page -- Elon clarified this morning the Saudi gov't is his take private investor.

As a Canadian lol...

I'm mixed on this development. Tesla needs to go private to get rid of the smear campaign. They really do. And the ppl with money have had more than enough time to kick the tires and work something out with Tesla. The fact they haven't to this point mean they don't want to. So financially, and for the health of the company, this is a very big deal.

That having been said, the Saudi's are despots. The Wahhabi strain of Sunni Islam is promulgated by the Saudi government. We would have neither the Taliban nor Al Qaeda were it not for official Saudi state support. I'm not saying they're terrorists, I'm saying they have an intertwined codependent relationship with their version of the Church, and their version of the Church is downright nasty.

Further, the non-nasty side of the Saudi gov't is very Trumpish. For this, see their recent rants and actions re. Canada. Want to speak to your democratic ideals? Feel free to get dumped on.

To be clear so everyone's on the same page -- Elon clarified this morning the Saudi gov't is his take private investor.

As a Canadian lol...

I'm mixed on this development. Tesla needs to go private to get rid of the smear campaign. They really do. And the ppl with money have had more than enough time to kick the tires and work something out with Tesla. The fact they haven't to this point mean they don't want to. So financially, and for the health of the company, this is a very big deal.

That having been said, the Saudi's are despots. The Wahhabi strain of Sunni Islam is promulgated by the Saudi government. We would have neither the Taliban nor Al Qaeda were it not for official Saudi state support. I'm not saying they're terrorists, I'm saying they have an intertwined codependent relationship with their version of the Church, and their version of the Church is downright nasty.

Further, the non-nasty side of the Saudi gov't is very Trumpish. For this, see their recent rants and actions re. Canada. Want to speak to your democratic ideals? Feel free to get dumped on.

As an American let me first thank your government for not selling out its principles as ours has.

Looking forward to watching the fanbois jump through mental hoops on why this is OK.

Reactions: adaptabl