Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If pressing "the button" means you lose Smart Summon (and are limited to 75mph Autosteer) do you do it?

Will you press "the button" if it also gives you the new "Tesla Vision" build?

• No, I can't live without Smart Summon.

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • No, not if it limits Autosteer speed to 75mph.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Yes, I paid to be a beta tester. Give me beta FSD!

Votes: 57 73.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only use smart summon as a party trick. For the most part I only drive inside city limits so 75mph is fast enough for freeway traffic here. I only go on a road with a higher speed limit once a year now.

Now a few years ago when I had a 170 mile daily commute and had faster speed limits then probably not.

My understanding is that the previous FSD City Streets beta builds don't impact highway driving, so it's hard to say whether the new beta will impact Autosteer on the highway.
Yeah, it's all hypothetical.
It seems likely that they won't update highway FSD to "Tesla Vision" until they can achieve performance parity. I guess I probably don't have to worry since I have HW2.5 (EAP, waiting until FSD is L3-5 before purchasing). If I had HW3 I wouldn't be clicking the upgrade button until making sure it isn't a downgrade.
So, what should the new HW revision be called? HW3-?

I can't see any reason why Tesla would release Tesla Vision FW to 3/Y's with Radar until which time Tesla Vision was at parity.

It would also be nice to know exactly what's happening to the radar, and how will it be used going forwards for those of us with HW3+Radar.

I see three possibilities.

Completely disabled
Used to improve precision of speed, and distance estimates
Situationally dependent.

Depends. The "Button" referred to the FSD city streets that we have seen videos of on YouTube. If that is what Tesla Vision is, YES, I'd do it in a heart beat. If Tesla Vision is instead the camera only version of the AP software I have now, then no, I will not click. The 75 MPH doesn't bother me but I have used smart summon a few times and it was fun.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
I can't see any reason why Tesla would release Tesla Vision FW to 3/Y's with Radar until which time Tesla Vision was at parity.

It would also be nice to know exactly what's happening to the radar, and how will it be used going forwards for those of us with HW3+Radar.

I see three possibilities.

Completely disabled
Used to improve precision of speed, and distance estimates
Situationally dependent.
I don't think that's the reason.
"Beginning with deliveries in May 2021, Model 3 and Model Y vehicles built for the North American market will no longer be equipped with radar."
"Model 3 and Model Y are our higher volume vehicles. Transitioning them to Tesla Vision first allows us to analyze a large volume of real-world data in a short amount of time."

But here's the ambiguity: "all vehicles built for markets outside of North America, will continue to be equipped with radar and will have radar-supported Autopilot functionality until we determine the appropriate time to transition those vehicles to Tesla Vision."

I still stand my my assertion that radar-equipped existing MY/M3 owners will not receive the Tesla Vision FSD updates for a while. Maybe a long while.

So, there's the question of if "The Button" were to appear on existing MY/M3s, would it be the v8.x we've seen the videos for during its limited beta?

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Can you repeat the question?

Screenshot-2019-06-12-at-15.15.49.png

I still stand my my assertion that radar-equipped existing MY/M3 owners will not receive the Tesla Vision FSD updates for a while. Maybe a long while.

How is what I said, and what you said different?

I said they won't release Tesla Vision to radar equipped MY/M3 owners at least until feature parity was reached. So no one should fear losing out on features by updating to Tesla Vision.

I do expect this to happen within the next 1-3 months. I don't anticipate a long time before either parity is achieved or Tesla says "Oops, Can you guys bring your cars in because we need to put the radar back in".

The V9 Full Self driving Beta is completely separate. I don't expect this to hit a general release any time soon.

Reactions: rxlawdude
O
How is what I said, and what you said different?

I said they won't release Tesla Vision to radar equipped MY/M3 owners at least until feature parity was reached. So no one should fear losing out on features by updating to Tesla Vision.

I do expect this to happen within the next 1-3 months. I don't anticipate a long time before either parity is achieved or Tesla says "Oops, Can you guys bring your cars in because we need to put the radar back in".

The V9 Full Self driving Beta is completely separate. I don't expect this to hit a general release any time soon.
or, you have to buy a new car because: wires.