Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If protesters surround your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heck of a way to make my first post on these forums, but here we go nonetheless.

With the recent news of the horrible event involving the vehicle in Charlottesville, it made me wonder how a Tesla would behave if it were surrounded by protestors (violent or otherwise). I plan on purchasing a Model 3 once my reservation is available for configuration, though the thought sort of bit at the back of my mind after the news.

My initial speculation is that the collision prevention systems would prevent the vehicle from moving. Of course, the first rule in dealing with these sorts of scenarios is to outright avoid them at all costs. However, should the worst happen and protesters surround your vehicle and suddenly turn violent, are you lost to the whims of the mob?

Also to be clear, there is only one very specific situation where driving through a mob is considered legal as self-defense. Namely, if a mob attempts to break into, overturn, or set fire to your vehicle. Those conditions alone present an imminent threat to your safety. Note: Should you be the first to strike a protestor with your vehicle, you would be seen as the attacker and the protesters would then be able to act in self-defense.

Sorry if this post feels ill-timed but I genuinely want to know if my life would be at risk due to systems designed for safety not understanding the context of the situation. Given the difficult choice, if a crowd turned violent, I would make every attempt to gently push my way out of the mob.

I believe pressing the accelerator disables the collision protection system which is why people are still able to drive their Tesla through their garage wall accidentally when they hit the accelerator instead of the brake.

So I guess the collision prevention systems would initially stop the vehicle, but you're then able to override it by resuming to accelerate after the system has engaged? Am I understanding that correctly?

My initial speculation is that the collision prevention systems would prevent the vehicle from moving.

Tesla does not currently have a "collision prevention system." In fact somebody is suing Tesla because their Model X followed their instructions and rammed through the garage wall into their house.

Even the AEB, Automatic Emergency Braking, feature, that is only supposed to slow you down in an unavoidable collision is disabled if you press the accelerator.

So far Tesla has done the correct thing and has the driver actions take precedence over any automated system actions.

tl;dr: Currently a Tesla will let you mow a crowd down.

In some states, yes, you can drive over protesters:

Might be a smarter move just to abandon your vehicle and claim damages from insurance.
actually that would be a very unwise thing to do, usually situations like this are caused by violence prone mobs and leaving the "safety" of the car could endanger your well being.
that is the reasoning behind some places allowing the injuring of protesters blocking a roadway.

Reactions: Lance T