Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If put car on Hold - How long is the wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put my MYLR order on Sept 5 and my EDD shows Dec 24- Dec 31. Since the EV incentive are in play believe lot of people are going to put their cars on hold in the hope to get EV credit starting next year. With the current situation going on with Hertz order in addition to couple of months wait, any idea how many months of wait are we talking about if we put our car on hold? Will our order go all the way back in line or just for few months? How does it work? I know lot of people have put their cars on hold on this forum. Would love to hear what everyone has to say on this.

I put my MYLR order on Sept 5 and my EDD shows Dec 24- Dec 31. Since the EV incentive are in play believe lot of people are going to put their cars on hold in the hope to get EV credit starting next year. With the current situation going on with Hertz order in addition to couple of months wait, any idea how many months of wait are we talking about if we put our car on hold? Will our order go all the way back in line or just for few months? How does it work? I know lot of people have put their cars on hold on this forum. Would love to hear what everyone has to say on this.
It is an unknown. I ordered my SR+ back in May, got a VIN mid-June but declined delivery, and my order status was put on hold. I ended the hold 2nd week of July, got assigned a VIN within a week, and took delivery end of July. However, that was ~5-6 months ago when a "long" wait for a SR+ was 8-10 weeks; the wait for a SR+ is now 8-10 MONTHS. If you have a Y reservation and decline delivery in Dec, who knows, you could be back at the end of the queue, which is now June 2022 (Sep '22 for a barebones LR Y).

It depends on various factors like original order date. Read one recent hold case

I’m on hold too but for a different reason. I bought a demo MYLR off the inventory.

What if the hold of 3 months being already used? In my instance, placed order in May. I put the order on hold for 3 months. Hold got released in August. My delivery estimate shifted from Nov-Dec to Oct to March'22-April'22 to (as of today) end of October. Can I still put the order on hold after VIN is assigned to me?

I had theory, with ever increasing price, put an order now, and keep delay the delivery until you need the car so you lock the price.

but fact is EV competition will be high, regardless how high the inflation will be, price will go DOWN in the future. worst time to buy Tesla due to supply chain & temporary inflation markup

my understanding is that the queue is based on your profile completion date. that date doesn't reset if you are put on hold, so essentially you just stay at the front of line until ready to take delivery.

I should mention 2 additional items:

1. I had a VIN assigned and then my SA unmatched it for me. I've paid in full for MYLR and my SA confirmed they "just hold the payment and its applied to the nxt car. No cost difference in the cars."
  2. changing the details of your order likely resets your profile completion date. A few months ago, while waiting, I inquired about adding a Tow Hitch to my order, and the SA advised against doing that because it would likely delay my order. I can only assume that means sending me to the back of the queue.

I should mention 2 additional items:

1. I had a VIN assigned and then my SA unmatched it for me. I've paid in full for MYLR and my SA confirmed they "just hold the payment and its applied to the nxt car. No cost difference in the cars."
  2. changing the details of your order likely resets your profile completion date. A few months ago, while waiting, I inquired about adding a Tow Hitch to my order, and the SA advised against doing that because it would likely delay my order. I can only assume that means sending me to the back of the queue.
So does that mean if I don't change my order but just put my car on hold, I will still be in the same queue once I release my hold.

Update: SA all but confirmed that, at my stage (paid, VIN previously assigned) that I'll be re-matched pretty quickly (in under a week) which I'm guessing means about 2 weeks until I take delivery from when I "unhold" (e.g. press "I'm ready" on the portal page) my reservation. We'll see about exact timing, but the point is that I'm almost certainly not at the back of the queue. 🤞

Talking to the SA directly has been amazing, props to them for helping make this a good experience despite some hiccups.

Update: SA all but confirmed that, at my stage (paid, VIN previously assigned) that I'll be re-matched pretty quickly (in under a week) which I'm guessing means about 2 weeks until I take delivery from when I "unhold" (e.g. press "I'm ready" on the portal page) my reservation. We'll see about exact timing, but the point is that I'm almost certainly not at the back of the queue. 🤞

Talking to the SA directly has been amazing, props to them for helping make this a good experience despite some hiccups.
I am glad your SA at least shows positive vibes whereas whenever I ask my SA about car delivery update all he says is idk.

Tesla will allow a hold for 30 days, after that, back of the line. Any changes in your order will cause a delay.
I decided not to postpone my late Nov-early Dec. delivery date to try to capture the House version of the EV incentive. The Senate version will remove the 200k cap that Tesla and GM are under, providing 7.5k. Waiting for congress, I may never get my Tesla.

Reactions: pgcoco and LoafPork
I thought the max hold was 90 days, but please correct me if I am wrong.

By the way, when Do I ask to put a hold on my EDD? I have the EDD estimate, but no VIN assigned, and I am wondering If I am supposed to request a hold after I receive the VIN or before?
Please let me know.

I thought the max hold was 90 days, but please correct me if I am wrong.

By the way, when Do I ask to put a hold on my EDD? I have the EDD estimate, but no VIN assigned, and I am wondering If I am supposed to request a hold after I receive the VIN or before?
Please let me know.
I believe you can put your car on hold anytime but no one knows where one will end up in line.
Right now my EDD is Dec 22-Dec31 and I am close to Fremont, most probably I will get my car in Dec but with EV credit that close, I would love to wait until Jan 1 but there is no guarantee if I put my car on hold, when will I get my car next year.