Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

if Supercharging was free...How much would you use it? Battery health concern

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use supercharging when I need it. It’s not a substitute for charging overnight at home.

We have a model S with free supercharging and a model 3. We use the Model S for our long distance driving for a few reasons: my car, I always have to drive the long distances; more luggage space; premium connectivity; free supercharging. In that order.

I will assume you own a house right? how much do you pay on electricity? 33k miles a year is not less than 8MW, at 0.26 per kW, is like $2,000 a year, $175 per month (maybe more if the 26c per kW doesn't include any taxes/fees).

Have you considered Solar Panels? for $32k (minus 30% rebate) it should cover your Tesla needs + your house needs, you could offset the cost 5~8 years.

We've had free supercharging on our Model S for 5 years and only use it on road trips.
Its just so much easier to charge at home and, with 52 solar panels on the roof, cheap enough to make it not worth the while to go somewhere else.

As others have said Supercharging to 80% (especially the 72kw or older 120kw units) has shown to be pretty safe.

Reactions: PrGrPa and afadeev
We've had free supercharging on our Model S for 5 years and only use it on road trips.
Its just so much easier to charge at home and, with 52 solar panels on the roof, cheap enough to make it not worth the while to go somewhere else.

As others have said Supercharging to 80% (especially the 72kw or older 120kw units) has shown to be pretty safe.
My counterpoint to this, as a Model S owner who's Supercharging rate has been decreased by 35%, presumably because I Supercharged too much -- don't Supercharge unless you have to.

The Model 3 isn't affected by this, you say? Neither was the Model S, 6 months ago. We were being told Supercharging was no problem, then BAM, you're screwed.

• Informative
Reactions: afadeev
My counterpoint to this, as a Model S owner who's Supercharging rate has been decreased by 35%, presumably because I Supercharged too much -- don't Supercharge unless you have to.

The Model 3 isn't affected by this, you say? Neither was the Model S, 6 months ago. We were being told Supercharging was no problem, then BAM, you're screwed.

I hear you as I think our Model S supercharges at a lower rate than it used to. I didn't maintain records but only once in the last 4 supercharges did it go much above 70kw (and yes I'm aware of sharing etc).

Interestingly though, if Tesla has limited the vehicles that are likely to be damaged by really high charge rates, then go ahead and supercharge anyway!

I will assume you own a house right? how much do you pay on electricity? 33k miles a year is not less than 8MW, at 0.26 per kW, is like $2,000 a year, $175 per month (maybe more if the 26c per kW doesn't include any taxes/fees).

Have you considered Solar Panels? for $32k (minus 30% rebate) it should cover your Tesla needs + your house needs, you could offset the cost 5~8 years.

Yes we do own.
My wife is very much against Solar Panels. Finds them unsightly and not wanting to get into an argument I won't win I have not thought twice about it.
She also fears resale on the house value with them, possible lien on the house if you don't own them, repairs if you do own, etc...
I believe Telsa has or is coming out with ones that look like regular roof tiles?
Looks like I am in one of the rental states so I agree that could save me money but not ready to go to battle for them yet, maybe at a later date when she wants to also trade in her ICE for an electric car as well.

My current once on Sunday plan is very easy to live with. Saves me a little money and does not bother me or take me away from other things. Trying to add a second visit does become a little more of an inconvenience. If I was confident I was not affecting the battery or jeopardizing my Telsa perk by going the 2nd day I think I would.

The site near me was built in 2014, is not a city location and has 120 speed. I am fortunate that this location is not very busy most of the time. In the summer at times I am sure it is but I would avoid those times anyway.

How much would you use it.
My concern is battery health.

I drive a lot (33K miles per year) Have home wall connector installed giving me 48 AMPs of juice at home so don't need to supercharge unless for a road trip.
But I also pay a high rate for electricity at home $.23 delivered and my provider offers nothing in terms of benefits, no off peak hours, no EV rebates, etc...

I have free supercharging for 2 years and a supercharger which is rarely used (never seen it full) is only a 8 minute easy drive from my house. Especially with YouTube / Netflix it really is not much of a bother to head over there and charge up.

I decided to make it a Sunday thing and not charge at home Friday night or Saturday and then fill it up to 80% Sunday,, I drive by it anyway going to the grocery store. Charging at home another 3-4 times per week to 80 or 85%.

Is this a bad plan for my long term battery health?
Would I be fine adding another day mid-week at the charger (supercharge twice every week) to save money? If I did that I would probably be charging equally at SC and at home 48 AMP.

do you live in a state where you can shop for a cheaper electric supplier? I was paying .145 kWh delivered now I'm paying .115 by just switching. It super easy to do if ur state has this

I think Tesla should assign a dollar/value amount to free supercharging instead of a time limit. Not everyone takes a lot of road trips, and I feel a time limit devalues the perk.
Tesla does do that sometimes. The recent referral bonuses have been 1000, 2000, or 5000 free miles of Supercharging.

Anyway, if I had free Supercharging, I doubt it would change my habits much if at all. I get a pretty attractive off-peak EV rate of about 8 cents. Plus my nearby Superchargers aren't all that nearby, and are in locations I don't otherwise visit often. So local Supercharging would be a special trip. Not worth it. Now, if it was right by farmer's market or Costco...

Reactions: Tron 3
Tesla does do that sometimes. The recent referral bonuses have been 1000, 2000, or 5000 free miles of Supercharging.

Anyway, if I had free Supercharging, I doubt it would change my habits much if at all. I get a pretty attractive off-peak EV rate of about 8 cents. Plus my nearby Superchargers aren't all that nearby, and are in locations I don't otherwise visit often. So local Supercharging would be a special trip. Not worth it. Now, if it was right by farmer's market or Costco...

they expire in 6 months though. My SC is right by the Target on the way home. A quick top off while I p/u milk groceries and I'm on my way.

I will change my habits once I get a wall charger installed in our new house. Hopefully 3-4K SC miles won't hurt the battery in the interim.

Reactions: Tron 3
Owner of a Model SP85 here. The car is from 2014 and has gone more than 300,000 km.

I used to Supercharge a lot, because long trips occurred several times a week. The battery capacity held up well; I lost a little less than 15% of range. What I have noticed though is that the charging speed is limited much faster than before. At 50% SOC I often see less than 70 kW- used to be 100 kW. So Supercharging sessions are taking much longer, as are long trips.

For this reason we now prefer our M3 for trips that are longer than 300 km. We still love the S and do not intend to ever let it go. But is is used more around home and does not get to see the Supercharger very often these days.

How much would you use it.
My concern is battery health.

Sparingly, because charging at home/work is just WAY more convenient.
Using Tesla SuperCharges also results in 2x-4x bill relative to what I pay for electricity at home/work.

I drive a lot (33K miles per year) Have home wall connector installed giving me 48 AMPs of juice at home so don't need to supercharge unless for a road trip.
But I also pay a high rate for electricity at home $.23 delivered and my provider offers nothing in terms of benefits, no off peak hours, no EV rebates, etc...

That's Massachusetts for ya'.
Have you tried shopping around? My NJ residential rate is $0.133 (including transmission), and it's $0.06 at work (cost pass-through via ChargePoint L2's).

Your SuperCharging is free, so if opportunity cost of hanging out at the SC's is lower than the cost of paying for electricity at home/work, then go for it.
Since I'm paying my SC bills, it's completely unattractive, unless I'm traveling and have no other choice.

YMMV,
a

I am in a similar situation. I drive about 30k a year. My rate is around .18kw and I have solar which offsets usage by 1200kw a month. I have had my car about 2 1/2 weeks and supercharged 4 times to top off, adding about 100 miles of range and charging with 30-50% remaining, stopping at 80%. There are a fair amount of SC around my travel area, NJ, PA, DE. I think for a quick 10-15 min stop to add a bit of range works a few times a week and would have no impact on the battery.

do you live in a state where you can shop for a cheaper electric supplier? I was paying .145 kWh delivered now I'm paying .115 by just switching. It super easy to do if ur state has this

I can choose “provider” but not delivery company
Basically seems like a scam to me
All of the providers charge about the same (half the cost). ; about $.11
The other half is the delivery to the house and that is a monopoly ; about $.12
Numbers approx from memory when I looked into some weeks back

Last edited:
I've driven about 30k miles and used 10,500 kwh. If you did that at home it would cost you $2,400. If you super charged that much it would cost you over 100 hours of your time. Unless I happened to grocery shop or better yet work out at the gym at the supercharger I wouldn't bother for that amount of money.

I have supercharged on road trips whenever necessary and only once outside of that. If it were free I'd use it exactly the same amount as now. They'd have to pay me to supercharge instead of charging at home/work before I'd change my behavior.

How much would you use it. My concern is battery health...

This is no longer a subject of debate... Tesla has confirmed that the battery will be throttled after a number of DC charges.

Tesla explains why it limits Supercharging speed after high numbers of DC charges - Electrek

In a statement, Tesla explains that it is a software limitation to optimize for the best possible owner experience that’s within the limits of physics. Here’s the statement in full:

The peak charging rate possible in a li-ion cell will slightly decline after a very large number of high-rate charging sessions. This is due to physical and chemical changes inside of the cells. Our fast-charge control technology is designed to keep the battery safe and to preserve the maximum amount of cell capacity (range capability) in all conditions. To maintain safety and retain maximum range, we need to slow down the charge rate when the cells are too cold, when the state of charge is nearly full, and also when the conditions of the cell change gradually with age and usage. This change due to age and usage may increase total Supercharge time by about 5 minutes and less than 1% of our customers experience this."

Not if you're multitasking while SC (shopping etc).

RE: Battery health can you link proof? I've seen both sides say no problems vs bad for battery.

So you are Supercharging multiple times per week and have shopping planned for each time and you've got no problems having to come out and move your car once finished charging and not finished charging? Most people don't have a Supercharger in front of their favorite stores.

All I said was that was that it wasn't the best for the battery. I didn't say it would harm it. Best charging is when you can keep the battery temperatures lower, reducing thermal strain.

Feel free to defend what seems to possibly be your way of life. I just know that my way requires essentially no thinking or time to keep my car happy.