Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If Taycan so can we!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taycan publicity stunt was traveling back and forth between two special chargers, set up by Porsche. Not representative of what a typical owner could obtain by traveling across country. That's why I call it phony.

Same thing with the other stunt on an aircraft carrier flight deck. Those decks have intensive high traction surfaces. Do not believe this is representative of what an owner could accomplish on asphalt.

Taycan publicity stunt was traveling back and forth between two special chargers, set up by Porsche. Not representative of what a typical owner could obtain by traveling across country. That's why I call it phony.

Same thing with the other stunt on an aircraft carrier flight deck. Those decks have intensive high traction surfaces. Do not believe this is representative of what an owner could accomplish on asphalt.

What they accomplished on the carrier wasn't that difficult for a performance car - Motortrend did 0-100-0 in half a second less with a Model S P100DL a couple years ago.

Not sure if the Taycan could do it on asphalt in the same distance/time, but a Ludicrous S certainly could.

Unless the Roadster spanks em all... but that doesn't have 4 doors, another critical metric Taycan lives up to.
Roadster seems to be vapour-ware at this point (sadly), once Tesla solve the problem of needing to give away many of them as promised then they might see the light of day.
It is a real shame they focused on the semi, Model-Y etc instead of getting the Roadster to market, they should have struck while the iron was hot.

Lots of bruised egos here. Remember that it was a primary goal to transform the auto industry from ICE to BEV. Don't get all pissy when it starts to actually happen. Porsche is doing exactly what they need to do in order to drive innovation. We should be championing these vehicles, not tearing them down.

Honestly, Tesla could really use the competition.

Not a shame, eco long haul is way more important than sport and having a halo car. IMHO.
And there's a couple companies beating Tesla at E-semi's already.

Links, please?

I know there are a few options in the wild now and Tesla isn't yet, but the ones I've seen seemed like the Bolt situation to me - nothing close to comparable or in similar volume, but on the market first.

Roadster seems to be vapour-ware at this point (sadly), once Tesla solve the problem of needing to give away many of them as promised then they might see the light of day.
It is a real shame they focused on the semi, Model-Y etc instead of getting the Roadster to market, they should have struck while the iron was hot.

So, Porsche gets a little fanfare for now. I'd rather Tesla focus on it's financial viability by getting the Model Y out there (along with the Pickup Truck and the Semi). The Roadster is still getting worked on, and it's not 2020 yet. What exactly Tesla is working on behind the scenes on the S and 3 might still have some added benefit over the Porsche (ie. Tesla is continually working on enhancing their cars). For now, I'd rather have the S or a 3 over the Taycan anyway - that back seat looks...unsuitable.

Links, please?

I know there are a few options in the wild now and Tesla isn't yet, but the ones I've seen seemed like the Bolt situation to me - nothing close to comparable or in similar volume, but on the market first.
Electrified Power | Cummins Inc.
Cummins know a thing or two about big transport needs, Tesla does not.
Semi owners expect vehicles to do millions of miles, I don't think Tesla has been making vehicles long enough to know how to make trucks that will do that (electric or not). You'll see companies like Mack, Kenworth etc go electric using a complete 'drop in' package from companies such as Cummins like they do now with their Diesel engines.
And I'd love to see a big rig driver try to book a service appointment online, that service model is a farce for cars yet alone the heavy transport industry.

Handling and performance-wise, the Taycan will spank any Tesla on the track. As everyone knows, running a track isn't about 0-60, it's about sustained performance. Tesla's are optimized in 0-60 because that's what sells to consumers. Porsche is not targeting average consumers, they are targeting those who demand the highest, sustained performance. Teslas are a joke on the Autobahn, for instance.

Tesla powertrains are really nothing special. All of Tesla's so-called "brilliance", such as it is, is in the software. Everything else is average. There is no doubt Tesla will lose top end sales to Taycan.
With the Taycan at twice the price, it's hard to say we have a comparison.

Reactions: 67King and P100D_Me
Electrified Power | Cummins Inc.
Cummins know a thing or two about big transport needs, Tesla does not.
Semi owners expect vehicles to do millions of miles, I don't think Tesla has been making vehicles long enough to know how to make trucks that will do that (electric or not). You'll see companies like Mack, Kenworth etc go electric using a complete 'drop in' package from companies such as Cummins like they do now with their Diesel engines.
And I'd love to see a big rig driver try to book a service appointment online, that service model is a farce for cars yet alone the heavy transport industry.

Lots of concepts there, lots of look how cool we are. If there are even as many specs as Tesla gave us, they weren't visible in 10 minutes of looking. Certainly not proof that Tesla has been beaten to market by a superior product.

In response to the OP, here's what I posted about my Model X charging:
Time lost when Supercharging in the taper zone - Chart

With a normal Supercharge of my X, charging to 70% takes about an extra two minutes compared to charging at the peak speed. Charging to 80% takes about 5 minutes extra. So an 80% charge in order to skip a Supercharger that would require a 5 minute off-route detour and charging setup/tear-down time would be essentially a wash in terms of minimizing total time. Given a Porsche/Tesla special setup with no off-route detour and minimal setup to charge, a 50% to 60% charge might be optimum, for the X at least.

Optimum driving speed used to be about 70-80 MPH if I remember correctly from pre-Model 3 days. I suspect the Model 3 would have a much higher optimum speed since it is more efficient than X/S and should charge a bit faster. I haven't seen an equation for that, but if we have an equation for kWh/mi vs. speed and assumed simple maximum power Supercharging it would be easy to set up.

In the absence of that, I think we can trick ABetterRoutePlanner or EVTripPlanner into Supercharging from 0% at a starting point (to 40% max or below to avoid the taper), traveling at a fixed speed to a destination, arriving with 0% charge remaining, and giving us the total time for that trip. Do that for several speeds until you see a minimum time and we have an answer. And that time and distance could be scaled up to 24 hours or whatever.

Reactions: scottm