Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If Tesla is demanding a Buy Or Cancel by 12/16, read this.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been seeing several posts about Tesla sending threatening letters to either revise the LR RWD reservations with the current configuration or cancel the order. One of my friends managed to negotiate with Tesla to get the AWD in lieu of RWD and had Tesla match BOTH the vehicle and FSD price based on the price book he placed the original reservation in March 2019. Basically he is getting almost 15k off compared to what one would pay buying it at today's prices.

So if you are hounded by Tesla to make up your mind, go back to them demanding the price match from the day you placed the reservation. And if they agree, buy it. A brand new Model Y that is 15k cheaper than street price is a steel deal. And if you want to know what price Model Y other variants were on the day you placed the order, check out Internet archives at Design Your Model Y | Tesla. Change the date at the top of the screen to the date you ordered.

See attached for the math as well as the sales agreement price from Tesla.

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 4.53.21 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 6.22.05 PM.jpg

Thanks for posting. Good to know.

I placed the order for LR RWD in Oct 2019. Called in couple of days ago and asked to match AWD price from order date. The agent declined and I asked to cancel the order and I got the $2500 refunded.

Guess I did not push hard enough :(

Thanks for posting. Good to know.

I placed the order for LR RWD in Oct 2019. Called in couple of days ago and asked to match AWD price from order date. The agent declined and I asked to cancel the order and I got the $2500 refunded.

Guess I did not push hard enough :(
It's probably more like my friend got a better sales advisor. When I asked him how he managed to get what nobody seems to have gotten, he said the sales advisor escalated it to management and after a week of time, they got back with the price match. In any case, it is shitty on Tesla's side for not matching the price for reservations that are three years old. The depositors in 2019 gave Tesla money when it needed the most and it is shame on them for keeping it for three years and returning it as if they are doing everyone a favor. Disgusting.

Reactions: prodigy237
That's crazy! Good for your friend. They refused to match my original LR RWD pricing and even made me take pricing at current levels. They did state they will give me FSD at the original price. Been waiting 2 years since my original order, now they are trying to force me to take the car before Jan tax credits... Overall a pretty horrible experience.

Reactions: mwdietertg
That's crazy! Good for your friend. They refused to match my original LR RWD pricing and even made me take pricing at current levels. They did state they will give me FSD at the original price. Been waiting 2 years since my original order, now they are trying to force me to take the car before Jan tax credits... Overall a pretty horrible experience.
Exactly. They want to book the annual revenue figures and they don't mind screwing their customers 8000$ to do so. I think it worked well for my friend who got the price match but I don't see why anyone would want to buy it if they simply match the FSD price. You are better off waiting until Jan and get the 8000 credit and pay for the FSD yourself at 10k. Still saves 3 to 5k.

Exactly. They want to book the annual revenue figures and they don't mind screwing their customers 8000$ to do so. I think it worked well for my friend who got the price match but I don't see why anyone would want to buy it if they simply match the FSD price. You are better off waiting until Jan and get the 8000 credit and pay for the FSD yourself at 10k. Still saves 3 to 5k.
I switched my order to AWD in May so the price of the car alone is up 7K since then, plus FSD was at 6K. Right now my total is 69K without credits vs 72K after 8k credit.

When I reconfigure it shows July 2022 delivery, if they matched the price and I jumped on it, do I have to pay now and lose the rebate? It seems like I should be able to pay on delivery and get the rebate then. What am I missing?
For all practical purposes, actual date of delivery is the date of sale and you don’t pay until the date of delivery (may be a day or two before) so if you can get Tesla to move up the delivery date, then you get the locked in price but paid on the day of delivery.