Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If Tesla Needs a little cash, add Ludicrous mode to existing Model 3 Performance

Would you as a Tesla Model 3 Performance owner opt for Ludicrous mode if it could do 0-60 in 2.6

• Yes

Votes: 162 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 27 14.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla would like to make up the almost 1 billion in cash it paid out recently then

My mostly conservative cash inflow estimates for the next 2 or 3 months:
* Model Y deposits: $130 million = 130,000 x $1,000 (could be more, could be less given early registrations didn't give you much as far as benefits for the Model 3 unless you wanted a buggy RWD)
* AP/FSD upgrades: $200 million = 100,000 x $2,000 average (this estimate might be a stretch)
* Tesla Model 3 standard new order deposits: $100 million = $2,500 * 40,000 (this should be doable)
* Tesla Model 3 Ludicrous retrofits $5,000 for existing owners or $15,000 for new owners: $150 million = 30,000 * $5,000 (this estimate should easily be doable IMHO)

I bet 30,000 Tesla Model 3 Performance owners would be up for a retrofit to Ludicrous Mode with a 0-60 of 2.6 seconds. Let's hope that Ludicrous Mode (or equivalent) will be possible on the Tesla Model 3 going forward.

Honestly, I don't crave more speed in my P3D+ so I voted no. This car is already ridiculous fast, and further speed, especially increasing the 0 mph launch torque would probably have negative effect on reliability.

I can see where others would want this, especially after riding in the much faster Model S variants. Its just not that big of a deal to me. I would much prefer an upgraded cooling system that allowed me to get current max power for longer than 5-10 minutes.

I've seen this request come up from many people in different parts of the internet a lot in the last 6 months. I'm willing to bet there are a ton of people who would pay for it - both existing and new owners.

It doesn't really need it on the P3D and there probably isn't a lot of buffer left in the battery. Maybe enough to shave off a little bit more but not much.

What could really benefit the most are the other versions, namely the LR AWD. I also think $15k for a retrofit is absurdly high. Most people wouldn't pay anywhere near that much. I think $3-5k would be the sweet spot for new cars. Retrofits, maybe an extra grand at most. But honestly there probably isn't really anything hardware needed to change out - a former Tesla employee confirmed the other day in a closed fb group that there is no physical difference between the motors on AWD and P and all AWD motors are manufactured within tolerance to handle power output comparable to what the P is putting down. They could easily probably shave off another half second on the AWD and charge a pretty penny, or charge even more for further improvement - bring back both Insane Mode and Ludicrous Mode options.

They dont really need to lower the 0-60 , they can increase ramp up so it doesnt run out of "steam" 60-120mph.
In an ICE car to add any serious power to lower 0-60 would cost thousands. $5-10k for insane or ludicrous would be normal pricing for that demographic.

Last edited:
With the new 5% power increase coming, the battery will be at the limits of what Tesla engineers decided is maximum discharge (5.25C) without long term damage to the cells.

There will be no ludicrous mode for the current Model 3P beyond what we already have.

• Informative
Reactions: vletnguyen
They dont really need to lower the 0-60 , they can increase ramp up so it doesnt run out of "steam" 60-120mph.
In an ICE car to add any serious power to lower 0-60 would cost thousands. $5-10k for insane or ludicrous would be normal pricing for that demographic.

Without more gears, I'm sure this is more difficult. Top end acceleration is more limited with just a single gear, especially with only front induction motors and also how much the battery can discharge. Like FlyNavy said the 3P will be at or near the limit after the 5%.

Reactions: vletnguyen
With the new 5% power increase coming, the battery will be at the limits of what Tesla engineers decided is maximum discharge (5.25C) without long term damage to the cells.

There will be no ludicrous mode for the current Model 3P beyond what we already have.
There could be a ludicrous mode that adds torque below the horsepower peak (~45mph). That is what most people seem to want anyway.

there probably isn't a lot of buffer left in the battery

new 5% power increase coming, the battery will be at the limits of what Tesla engineers decided is maximum discharge (5.25C)

Yeah, as Daniel says, just remember that this is maximum power draw from the battery at ~5100rpm @ ~45mph. That's only at close to full charge that that peak power is drawn of course.

There is a lot less (proportionately less) power (and avg current) being drawn from the battery at lower speeds. So at those lower speeds, they could probably draw more average current from the battery and produce more motor torque if the motor is capable of it. There may be limits to the increase at low RPM, discussed elsewhere - I know nothing about the details of their motor controller and how good it is at eliminating torque ripple, or whether this phenomenon is even exacerbated by trying to run higher torques. But it doesn't matter, seems clear enough that at 5mph and above they could produce more torque if the motor could do it.

And this low end torque could be preserved to some extent even at lower than 80-90% SoC. FWIW.

As Daniel says, that's what most people actually want anyway, and it'll have more of an impact on 0-60 anyway than an increase in HP from 45-60mph. Though would result in hitting the HP limit sooner (lower speed, inversely proportional to the torque increase).

Reactions: coleAK
We really wanted a P but when we ordered June 2018 could only get it with the larger breaks and 20” wheels. That was a dealbreaker for winter tire/wheel set ups here in Alaska. Anyway we would buy a P software upgrade for our LR AWD in a second.

Reactions: zhu-