Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If Tesla Needs a little cash, add Ludicrous mode to existing Model 3 Performance

Would you as a Tesla Model 3 Performance owner opt for Ludicrous mode if it could do 0-60 in 2.6

• Yes

Votes: 162 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 27 14.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with what @MagnusMako said. A lot of LR AWD user would pay for a performance upgrade to bring their LR AWD to the P level.
Yeah but the problem is it has to be a full price or close to full price difference. People would be furious if they upgrade AWD to P cars for like 2k when we paid 9k more (granted we also got wheels/brakes etc.) And new P cars buyers might buy AWD and hope for a cheap upgrade.

I'm sure they could pick a price that makes sense all around.

I thought we are talking about the Model 3 here? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah but the problem is it has to be a full price or close to full price difference. People would be furious if they upgrade AWD to P cars for like 2k when we paid 9k more (granted we also got wheels/brakes etc.) And new P cars buyers might buy AWD and hope for a cheap upgrade.

Lack of brakes, wheels, lowered suspension and track mode should create some buffer, especially track mode in particular. I think the proper way would be meet in the middle on both price and performance. So a 60 time of 3.8/3.9 at ~$6k would seem like an adequate compromise if Tesla is so set on keeping separation. They could also consider making track mode a separate buy. To me all these software-related things would have made sense as separate purchase options from the get go for the AWD version so people don't have to pay $11k for more things than they necessarily want. And it wouldn't really slow the production process down because of the fact it's all software.

Reactions: Sweet OJ and gavine
Lack of brakes, wheels, lowered suspension and track mode should create some buffer, especially track mode in particular. I think the proper way would be meet in the middle on both price and performance. So a 60 time of 3.8/3.9 at ~$6k would seem like an adequate compromise if Tesla is so set on keeping separation. They could also consider making track mode a separate buy. To me all these software-related things would have made sense as separate purchase options from the get go for the AWD version so people don't have to pay $11k for more things than they necessarily want. And it wouldn't really slow the production process down because of the fact it's all software.
Bundling exists for a reason, and it's literally to force you to spend more money. If you have 2 features, say the package of both is 10k. Buyer one values feature 1 at 6k, but feature 2 at 4k. Buyer 2 values feature 2 at 6k but feature 1 at 4k. Bundling both at 10k brings in more money than selling them separately at 5k.

A compromise deal is certainly possible. I wonder if there are enough AWD owners that would be willing to throw down cash for something like that to make it worthwhile.

In the end the P3D- cost ~$6000 more than the same-hardware LR AWD did... with the 2 differences being the 0-60 times and the (alleged) existence of TM for the P... so sell the 0-60 for 4k and track mode for 2k, or both for 6k, and nobody should be able to be mad about anything, and it still protects sales for those who think the 20s/red calipers have value on the current version of the P.

(I think technically the top speed is slightly different too? don't care enough to check or even think about which bundle it should be included in)

Given it's all just software differences though it costs Tesla literally nothing besides the time to update their ordering/update system, so the $ is almost 100% pure profit no mater how many/few takers they get.

• Helpful
Reactions: gavine
I get what you're saying @Nocturnal but you left out buyer 3 who does not want all of the features in the bundle and does not value the entire bundle for the few features they want as worth it, or maybe they can't quite afford it either. I bet there a lot of people are in this camp. I would not pay 11k for more oomph in my AWD and that is the only feature I care about from the P. And even within the P buyers, I'll bet the majority are not tracking their car and are just using it as a daily driver with some added fun on the weekends on the twisties, which it does exceptionally well as both.

I think if Tesla just charges more for those items ala carte, they stand to make more money overall by filling in the gap.

In the end the P3D- cost ~$6000 more than the same-hardware LR AWD did... with the 2 differences being the 0-60 times and the (alleged) existence of TM for the P... so sell the 0-60 for 4k and track mode for 2k, or both for 6k, and nobody should be able to be mad about anything, and it still protects sales for those who think the 20s/red calipers have value on the current version of the P.

(I think technically the top speed is slightly different too? don't care enough to check or even think about which bundle it should be included in)

Given it's all just software differences though it costs Tesla literally nothing besides the time to update their ordering/update system, so the $ is almost 100% pure profit no mater how many/few takers they get.

^This. Originally the P cost 11k more did not include the PUP pkg which was 5k. Now they include it and it is still 11k. So really only about 6k difference from the AWD. I think 3.5-3.7 sec 0-60. would be fair for like 4-5k. The P should get bumped to 3.0 so they still feel special.

^This. Originally the P cost 11k more did not include the PUP pkg which was 5k. Now they include it and it is still 11k. So really only about 6k difference from the AWD.

Plus those that paid 11k without the PUP pkg got a $5000 refund check (in exchange for giving up unlimited supercharging- which AWD guys don't have anyway).... so in the end it was $6000 more, net, at time of purchase to "unlock" an AWD into exactly a P3D-

Since Tesla is now offering pre-sale options at par, or cheaper, than pre-sale, this seems perfectly in line for them to offer on existing AWD cars.... (and the fact they don't sell the P3D- anymore also helps insulate any sales cannibalism it might cause)

Reactions: rlb4
If Tesla wanted more money, they wouldn't need to do it by providing a new feature that just happens to be the one you want. They just wouldn't have discounted their top models by as much...

Releasing a software unlock costs them literally 0 dollars. It's 100% profit other than updating the website to offer the option and pushing the change OTA.

Cutting the price on physical hardware reduces profit.

P3D- was $6k difference from AWD after the refund, other than that, they are the same car. How about 6k ?

Reactions: MagnusMako
Not going to happen with the PM motors in the rear, they are maxed. Tesla destroyed many of them in testing to get the max power out of them. They can sell P upgrades on almost all the AWD 3 cars and make a fortune for even $3-4K, that is feasible. A simple software click but no way worth moth than that. The AWD option was $4K at one time and it included an extra motor!

• Helpful
Reactions: MagnusMako
Not going to happen with the PM motors in the rear, they are maxed. Tesla destroyed many of them in testing to get the max power out of them. They can sell P upgrades on almost all the AWD 3 cars and make a fortune for even $3-4K, that is feasible. A simple software click but no way worth moth than that. The AWD option was $4K at one time and it included an extra motor!

do we know for a fact the motors are maxed? that just made me very sad... i've been hoping for a future software upgrade.