Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If Tesla Needs a little cash, add Ludicrous mode to existing Model 3 Performance

Would you as a Tesla Model 3 Performance owner opt for Ludicrous mode if it could do 0-60 in 2.6

• Yes

Votes: 162 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 27 14.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And track mode that’s the main benefit, also I paid for my AWD what a P model cost now basically and I’m still willing to pay 5k, a lot of people like me are.

Tesla needs money, it’s just a software push, could be automated on website.

Reactions: Autoxer7
If you mean difference between AWD and the P3D- the stopped selling then yeah it'd have to be equal or more than that ($5000-6000 depending when you ordered)

The P3D+ obviously comes with hardware the others don't that you wouldn't get with a SW update.

(in fact killing off the P3D- makes it much easier for Tesla to offer an AWD unlock to P software without hurting P sales...since if the - was still sold there'd be much less reason to buy one if you could unlock an AWD to it later... but you can't software upgrade the brakes, wheels, or suspension to the + if you're someone who cares about those aspects at all)
If you could get P speeds for 5k on an AWD that would kill P3D sales. I have no idea why you would think otherwise. Plenty of people don't want the 20" wheels etc. The only valuable bit is the breaks. I'd be happy to get my money back for the wheels and suspension.

Just because you guys want it to happen doesn't mean it wouldn't be stupid for Tesla to do it.

And track mode that’s the main benefit, also I paid for my AWD what a P model cost now basically and I’m still willing to pay 5k, a lot of people like me are.

Tesla needs money, it’s just a software push, could be automated on website.
And nobody would buy a P car. Not to mention how many buyers would say "ok, I'll buy this one now and in 4 years upgrade to P speed".

Tesla is not ever going to do this. Basic price changes caused huge uproars.

If you could get P speeds for 5k on an AWD that would kill P3D sales. I have no idea why you would think otherwise. Plenty of people don't want the 20" wheels etc.

Just because you guys want it to happen doesn't mean it wouldn't be stupid for Tesla to do it.

If plenty of people are not wanting the 20" wheels, track mode, etc then that shows a demand issue. If the demand for pure acceleration is much higher than demand for acceleration AND the PUP that bumps up the cost significantly more, then trading off a lower unit profit margin for a higher unit volume makes more sense. Just look at the Model S Performance sales compared to 3 sales. Unit profit margin is surely higher but demand is way lower. The P3D is a boutique product and I think that Tesla needs to restructure pricing/features to increase demand.

Reactions: phantasms
If you could get P speeds for 5k on an AWD that would kill P3D sales. I have no idea why you would think otherwise.

Because that was already the effective price difference from AWD to P3D.

Plenty of people don't want the 20" wheels etc. The only valuable bit is the breaks. I'd be happy to get my money back for the wheels and suspension.

If that were true, that there was lots of demand for a P without the upgrades, Tesla wouldn't have killed off the P3D- would they?

All offering a P speed unlock for 5-6k would effectively do is....bring back the P3D-....without the assembly/sales logistic complications of actually selling a P3D-

Reactions: XBS9 and vletnguyen
Because that was already the effective price difference from AWD to P3D.

If that were true, that there was lots of demand for a P without the upgrades, Tesla wouldn't have killed off the P3D- would they?

All offering a P speed unlock for 5-6k would effectively do is....bring back the P3D-....without the assembly/sales logistic complications of actually selling a P3D-
They likely killed off the P3D- for this exact reason, not enough differentiation with the AWD.

Compare BMW 335 vs M3. It's not just a 5k difference for different wheels.

Reactions: vletnguyen
“add Ludicrous mode to existing Model 3 Performance”.

You were saying?

You said "on a 3." so that would imply any model 3 version. I'm imagining a regular AWD owner having to pay $20k for a Ludicrous Mode to be in line with the Model S pricing and basically becoming a P3D in order for it to make sense with what you're suggesting. That's just conflated logic because the S is a different market. LM could exist on atleast one version of the model 3 if it's structured and priced properly.

Ludicrous belongs in P models only.

Sorry, my opinion. If I'm a corporation, I want to find a way to make you buy the most expensive car. If you want performance, pay for performance.

Don't expect the car company to turn your budget model into a p100d.

I thought that was covered in the thread title and Post #1... P owners paying for an upgrade.
ya, well, if you read the posts, seems every Model 3 wants it.

Here's the post RIGHT BEFORE my post (i.e. the one I was RESPONDING to):

"I'd pay for a upgrade to even be close to a P3D with my AWD. Give me a $3-4k upgrade to 0-60 in 3.6s and I'd be all over it. It wouldn't be P3D speed but it would be close."

Ludicrous mode is a $20k upgrade for the S. You aren’t going to get it for $5k on a 3.
It wouldn't be full-blown, fuse changing Ludicrous. It would be a minor software improvement that the ones with the $$ will have to have just to say they have it and shaved another .2 - .3 seconds off the 0-60 and have a special button on their screen.

It would be more like "Pseudocrous"