Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If Tesla Needs a little cash, add Ludicrous mode to existing Model 3 Performance

Would you as a Tesla Model 3 Performance owner opt for Ludicrous mode if it could do 0-60 in 2.6

• Yes

Votes: 162 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 27 14.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rather than a 'Ludicrous' mode, whilst in "Track Mode", an option for a "Launch" would be quite useful/fun, and only need a software change.

Something like
1) Enter Track Mode
2) Foot on brake
3) Hold down drive for 5 seconds
4) Foot off brake, and onto accelerator (Car stays in hold, 100% throttle. Maybe limit this to 10 seconds)
5) Tap drive for a launch.

Reaction time, down to your foot, and getting your foot to 100% is quite slow.
Tapping the gear selector (very little movement, and with your hand) is much quicker.

Could probably gain 1-2 tenths AND a more consistent launch. It's also only a software change.

Offering AWD owners a Performance Mode would probably be way more feasible and profitable.

They could also offer extended warranties on Model 3.

They could offer a discount on data plans if you buy say 3 years worth.

They could offer Premium Data with Spotify and Pandora and higher bit rates.

There are so many other ways to raise money that are more profitable than ludicrous mode on a Performance.

Rather than a 'Ludicrous' mode, whilst in "Track Mode", an option for a "Launch" would be quite useful/fun, and only need a software change.

Something like
1) Enter Track Mode
2) Foot on brake
3) Hold down drive for 5 seconds
4) Foot off brake, and onto accelerator (Car stays in hold, 100% throttle. Maybe limit this to 10 seconds)
5) Tap drive for a launch.

Reaction time, down to your foot, and getting your foot to 100% is quite slow.
Tapping the gear selector (very little movement, and with your hand) is much quicker.

Could probably gain 1-2 tenths AND a more consistent launch. It's also only a software change.

How about AutoPilot watching for the green light to go. With HW3 of course. ;) It could even predict it fairly accurately.

Offering AWD owners a Performance Mode would probably be way more feasible and profitable.

There are so many other ways to raise money that are more profitable than ludicrous mode on a Performance.

maybe, but i don't think anyone would pay 10k for free data.

I think the performance Model 3 is basically tapped out after the 5% peak power boost. There's probably some cars in the wild that could handle higher output due to better binning in motor or inverter electronics but Tesla can't raise the output for all of them without frying some motors or inverters.

Still there are other things I think would be nice for the Model 3P which the Model S Performance has:

1. MAX battery mode for the Model 3 performance which raises the battery temp. Even in the summer time now I usually see the limited power ...... dots on my screen.

2. Launch mode: It's probably good for between a .1 or .05 in the quarter mile, maybe we could see 11.5 1/4 mile times.

Yup.

Also yup- though they may not have what they feel is enough LTR data yet to price it right

Or, you know, data plans at all

Model S owners are already 18 months past when the first ones are supposed to be getting charged for data, and 0 of them are so far. That's cash Tesla already said they'd be asking for that they haven't bothered to ask for.

Can't do spotify (or any other streaming service) until the slacker contract is up.

Higher bitrates on slacker they could possibly do- but that depends on their AT&T contract details.

Reactions: MagnusMako
I think the performance Model 3 is basically tapped out after the 5% peak power boost. There's probably some cars in the wild that could handle higher output due to better binning in motor or inverter electronics but Tesla can't raise the output for all of them without frying some motors or inverters.

Still there are other things I think would be nice for the Model 3P which the Model S Performance has:

1. MAX battery mode for the Model 3 performance which raises the battery temp. Even in the summer time now I usually see the limited power ...... dots on my screen.

2. Launch mode: It's probably good for between a .1 or .05 in the quarter mile, maybe we could see 11.5 1/4 mile times.

Pretty sure the P3D has PLENTY of room for more improvement if Tesla chooses to.

The majority of the reason they don't is drivetrain and power electronics stress / warranty. Also the battery.

But the inverter system has 24 90A mosfets so it is capable of more.

[QUOTE="
/QUOTE]

Wow if this is true, with the S having a 1500A pyro, and this being over 2100A capable, it would make sense the hardware can do it.
But they won't release until plaid is out for S or it will hurt the P100d line more.

[QUOTE="
/QUOTE]

Wow if this is true, with the S having a 1500A pyro, and this being over 2100A capable, it would make sense the hardware can do it.
But they won't release until plaid is out for S or it will hurt the P100d line more.

This is not how things work. The FETs are likely in an H-bridge configuration, with three different pairs of poles. Sending 90A through all FETs simultaneously will just result in a lot of things melting.

Reactions: MagnusMako