Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If Tesla Offered Hardware Update what would you enhance ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well Coronavirus boredom has lead me to start a project. Going over some old Tesla news when they offered the Battery Replacement Option at set prices (Picture Below).

It would be interesting to see if Tesla would ever offer a battery update similar what they offered or to the First gen roadster. Since Tesla offers vehicles similar to a tech company offering computers and software.

Tesla seems to be expanding in the method of user upgrades and updates. As battery technology evolves and progresses through the S Curve it would be interesting if Tesla would allow owners to keep aging vehicles current with hardware updates. Take a 60 kWh battery updated to a more recent 75 kWh pack or current more dense pack at similar prices. For a consumer it would make sense financially to update a battery over the whole vehicle if they possess the discipline to resist the technology enhancements. It would be interesting if they decided to go that route for additional revenue.

I can see Tesla as the first Tech/ Auto company who makes a product relevant and exciting through software opposed to hardware like traditional car companies. I read many threads with debates on why Tesla wouldn’t do so. I started this to see if you could update or upgrade what would some of you enhance to your car and at what price ? Personally I’d consider a larger pack and if it ever makes it to model 3 Plaid motors in 4-5 years.

Picture error

Attachments

• 4C38E69A-00FB-46EE-B114-EC2AA3701FE8.jpeg
    4C38E69A-00FB-46EE-B114-EC2AA3701FE8.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Informative
Reactions: DOCAL
Elon's previous opinion is that if ever you find a improved version of your car to be available, the most economical thing may be to simply trade up to the new model.

His policy of continous improvements and pressure to reduce the prices agressively on newer releases might make this the most economical option.

While upgrading your battery to a fresh one might give you additonal range, you will still be stuck with older styling, worn interior, older computer capability, worn out suspension, obsolete tech, and all the inherent aging of a 8 year old vehicle.

Newer cars will come with advanced motors, inproved suspensions and components, non pitted windshield, fresh brakes, fresh warranty, new tires, new brakes, upgraded supercharging, etc.

Just thinking it often may make more sense to upgrade to a whole new, state of the art vehicle instead of sinking a lot of money into the old one.

Elon's previous opinion is that if ever you find a improved version of your car to be available, the most economical thing may be to simply trade up to the new model.

His policy of continous improvements and pressure to reduce the prices agressively on newer releases might make this the most economical option.

While upgrading your battery to a fresh one might give you additonal range, you will still be stuck with older styling, worn interior, older computer capability, worn out suspension, obsolete tech, and all the inherent aging of a 8 year old vehicle.

Newer cars will come with advanced motors, inproved suspensions and components, non pitted windshield, fresh brakes, fresh warranty, new tires, new brakes, upgraded supercharging, etc.

Just thinking it often may make more sense to upgrade to a whole new, state of the art vehicle instead of sinking a lot of money into the old one.

I agree with a lot of your points. As many mention there’s always something new with Tesla making the latest version the most

I was pondering those older vehicles with the capability to be “refreshed” with the latest technology. Model S MCU 1 to MCU 2 or APHW 2.0 for 3.0 for a price. Taking a 2017 car to something more recent like a 2020 negating some of the wear and tear and production enhancements. Personally the less consumption would be better for the world sustainability. Selling a new car is far more lucrative than supporting an aging one. Just thinking about a lot of those aging Model S and X getting ready to expire on there warranty. What direction will Tesla decide to go with those cars ? What direction will the go when the mass production 3 and Y age ?

I think that battery retrofits will be in order at a future time. Right now Tesla has limited battery manufacturing capabilities and also hasn't made any big improvements.

If their "next-gen" maxwell plans work out, they will have extra batteries which they will be happy to sell. Maybe 5 years.

Agreed it seems that battery technology is still in its infancy in regards to what the future holds for Tesla and even aftermarket manufacturers.