Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If tesla opens supercharging to other vehicles. Can current tesla owners sue tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
minus the covid stuff lately, it's like a club meetup everytime at a supercharger :)

@whisperingshad honestly though, does a manufacturer-specific charging station really make sense? Do you see Ford gas stations where only Ford vehicles can fill up, and using a Ford-specific nozzle? (Or: insert your favorite ICE manufacturer's name in that question--the answer is going to be no regardless.) Don't get me wrong, I love that Tesla has built up this network, and I prefer the Tesla charging plug over the CCS ones and of course the awesome plug-and-charge and so on. But in the longer-term I think interoperability and standardization would be more beneficial to everyone.

Reactions: X.l.r.8 and Vawlkus
@whisperingshad honestly though, does a manufacturer-specific charging station really make sense? Do you see Ford gas stations where only Ford vehicles can fill up, and using a Ford-specific nozzle? (Or: insert your favorite ICE manufacturer's name in that question--the answer is going to be no regardless.) Don't get me wrong, I love that Tesla has built up this network, and I prefer the Tesla charging plug over the CCS ones and of course the awesome plug-and-charge and so on. But in the longer-term I think interoperability and standardization would be more beneficial to everyone.
Their fault they didnt want to use a standard spec etc. Now they want to leech on the Tesla grid...Now if ALL the new ones they build have the tesla chargers then it would be fine....

I believe the same.

Tesla gets props for having the foresight to build their network out like they have, but Tesla alone cannot electrify the planet. Other manufacturers need to do the same, whether they want to or not.

I wonder if this is a smart move from a competitive advantage perspective? I have been thinking about my next car purchase. It is highly likely to be an EV. I have thought that I don't think that I would consider a non-Tesla EV since there are not a ton of L3 charging options along the Windsor-Montreal route on the 401. It seems that the main options would be Petro-Canada or Canadian Tire sites - they typically only have a handful of chargers at each location, far fewer than a typical Tesla SC.

I wonder if this is a smart move from a competitive advantage perspective? I have been thinking about my next car purchase. It is highly likely to be an EV. I have thought that I don't think that I would consider a non-Tesla EV since there are not a ton of L3 charging options along the Windsor-Montreal route on the 401. It seems that the main options would be Petro-Canada or Canadian Tire sites - they typically only have a handful of chargers at each location, far fewer than a typical Tesla SC.

@wayner there's been lots of debate and speculation over whether or not this is a positive move for Tesla. Yes they could be reducing their competitive advantage somewhat. But don't forget that their mission is "to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy". Opening up the SC network will definitely contribute to this acceleration. The other thing to consider is the revenue that this will generate, and what Tesla can do with those funds.

Reactions: Vawlkus and Stan930