Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If tesla opens supercharging to other vehicles. Can current tesla owners sue tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If tesla opens up the supercharging network to other vehicles this will
1. increase the usage of the sites, which can lead to longer wait times. p.s. wait times in
California long

will current tesla owners have a right to sue Tesla. (ie class actions) They bought their Tesla s for the car and the good accessible supercharging network. With more using this wait times will increase.

I believe tesla has said they are okay to open up the site as long as the other car manf contribute to the system. So who get this money.

Tesla owners bought their cars and the access to supercharging . eg ford mach e , bought their cars

1. increase the usage of the sites, which can lead to longer wait times. p.s. wait times in
California long

will current tesla owners have a right to sue Tesla. (ie class actions) They bought their Tesla s for the car and the good accessible supercharging network. With more using this wait times will increase.

I believe tesla has said they are okay to open up the site as long as the other car manf contribute to the system. So who get this money.

Tesla owners bought their cars and the access to supercharging . eg ford mach e , bought their cars

You think Tesla will offer this for free? If they receive payment for allowing other vehicles to charge you think they won't use this revenue to expand the charging stations? If they expand the number of charging stations available you don't think this may actually lead to LESS congestion?

California long

this would definitely help for more ev adoption. i will definitely take advantage of it when my ev gets delivered.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I find it difficult to predict Teslas best strategy in regards to charging compatibility. In Europe there seems to be no net benefit to Tesla by allowing other brands to use Supercharger. In North America Tesla has the CCS issue alongside the strategic issue of allow another brand to use Supercharger.

Tesla terms for allowing another brand onto the network are likely a very large amount upfront with payback based on that brands usage.

California long

This is Canada, not the more litigious USA.

What would be the contractual violation? I don’t remember seeing anything in my purchase agreement with Tesla that they committed to me any level of access to SuperChargers. In some places, there are lineups at SuperChargers because of high usage by Tesla drivers. Would you ask about a class action suit f

If there were two SuperCharger locations with a total of 20 SuperChargers in your area, and Tesla expanded that to 30 SuperChargers at three locations while making them available to non-Teslas, what would be the basis of a case?

what do you mean by “who gets this money”? I would think whoever sold the service. Presumably this would be Tesla.

I wonder if any legacy automaker would want to buy into Tesla's charging market just based on principles and pride? You are basically admitting inferiority by not being able to supply your purchasers with a sustainable product. I imagine Tesla will charge through the nose to have to allow other brands to use their system.

The build-out rate in Western Canada has been pretty good, our issue has been more with distribution of chargers throughout the province, than with over-use and line-ups. Can you imagine if the shoe was on the other foot, some other legacy manufacturer built a charging system and had to build-out to keep up with demand. I cannot imagine any other company having the push to build out a charging system like Tesla.

I have been driving a Tesla since 2015, I am not worried about charger build-out at all. Those new drivers may have a different perspective.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
By your logic, each additional car (1M per year now) that Tesla sells also also contributes to Supercharger crowding - is that worthy of a lawsuit as well? Of course not, because Tesla continues to grow the network in parallel, and the expectation is that the fleet will continue to grow. If it grows because of OEM partnerships, that's up to Tesla to make sense of it financially and I am fine with it.

The build-out rate in Western Canada has been pretty good, our issue has been more with distribution of chargers throughout the province, than with over-use and line-ups. Can you imagine if the shoe was on the other foot, some other legacy manufacturer built a charging system and had to build-out to keep up with demand. I cannot imagine any other company having the push to build out a charging system like Tesla.

I have been driving a Tesla since 2015, I am not worried about charger build-out at all. Those new drivers may have a different perspective.
I appreciate the plethora of Supercharger locations in the GVA (red dots) with more to come (grey dots). :)

20E0E4DC-E094-4E82-A73B-26C6EADF9057.jpeg

I hope to see something remotely similar on Vancouver Island, permitting Island Tesla owners to get around using Superchargers other than in the southern and eastern sections.

59076D80-9584-4D3E-8CDD-1F8F056748FD.jpeg

But I’m not seeing any grey dots. :(

Reactions: CFinVancouver
Government grants from our tax dollars are becoming available to build new fast chargers all over North America.

Would you prefer?
- Tesla gets some money and builds new superchargers that have compatibility with other EV(s) with a CCS-1 cord and get fast charging speeds.
- Or, Depend on other third parties such as Flo, ChargePoint, Electrify America to build chargers that might on average be 62.5kW to 125KW max charge speed.

I find it difficult to predict Teslas best strategy in regards to charging compatibility. In Europe there seems to be no net benefit to Tesla by allowing other brands to use Supercharger. In North America Tesla has the CCS issue alongside the strategic issue of allow another brand to use Supercharger.
This recent article indicated that Tesla could receive local incentives in Norway for installing charging stations if they open up charging to all automakers. So Tesla could receive payments from both governments and other automakers.

This recent article indicated that Tesla could receive local incentives in Norway for installing charging stations if they open up charging to all automakers. So Tesla could receive payments from both governments and other automakers.
There's also the fact that just because Tesla will open the network up to others, doesn't mean it's for free, or that anyone else HAS to take them up on that offer.

Government grants from our tax dollars are becoming available to build new fast chargers all over North America.

Would you prefer?
- Tesla gets some money and builds new superchargers that have compatibility with other EV(s) with a CCS-1 cord and get fast charging speeds.
- Or, Depend on other third parties such as Flo, ChargePoint, Electrify America to build chargers that might on average be 62.5kW to 125KW max charge speed.
Isn't that also the issue in some place like New York? I think there's a possible lawsuit because of state money helping to pay for the chargers, but NY also wants it open to everyone - not just Teslas. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens if government dollars are at used - certainly pushed by other manufacturers who want the infrastructure.

Personally, I'm on the fence on it - not happy to share the chargers (especially if those other vehicles are incapable of faster charging rates and even more so if they don't pay into it) but at the same time would like to see expansion of the whole network. That said, I doubt that those using the chargers will be exempted from paying, and hopefully anything coming out now can exploit the faster charging rates.

Isn't that also the issue in some place like New York? I think there's a possible lawsuit because of state money helping to pay for the chargers, but NY also wants it open to everyone - not just Teslas. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens if government dollars are at used - certainly pushed by other manufacturers who want the infrastructure.

Personally, I'm on the fence on it - not happy to share the chargers (especially if those other vehicles are incapable of faster charging rates and even more so if they don't pay into it) but at the same time would like to see expansion of the whole network. That said, I doubt that those using the chargers will be exempted from paying, and hopefully anything coming out now can exploit the faster charging rates.
That government money goes to the landowner, not Tesla, or any other company providing the charger hardware. It’s designed to incentivize charger adoption.

Most electric cars support 50kw. and the newer ones go up to 150kw.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if we let regular evs use the urban superchargers only or designate which ones are open to regular EVs and which ones are open to Teslas only.

I appreciate the plethora of Supercharger locations in the GVA (red dots) with more to come (grey dots). :)

View attachment 677585

I hope to see something remotely similar on Vancouver Island, permitting Island Tesla owners to get around using Superchargers other than in the southern and eastern sections.

View attachment 677586

But I’m not seeing any grey dots. :(
I'm really surprised there are none in Courtney/Comox, or Port Alberni.

Let alone Campbell River or Tofino.

Had A chance to visit the island in 2019. Absolutely beautiful out there. I would LOVE to move there one day!

Would you prefer?
I would prefer that Tesla do it. Tesla has demonstrated competency at building and at properly maintaining a charging network.

I woukld want there to be a threshold of a required minimum charging rate. My family owns a Chevy Volt. Hooking up at a level 2 public charger is painful because the car charges so s l o w l y compared to my TM3 on level 2.

i wouldn’t want Tesla supercharger to become crowded due to comparatively slow by non-Tesla vehicles.