Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IF Tesla partners with (_____???_____) for Supercharger locations....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@mnx
Yup, I am in right side of that line, and we are all aware about effects of that.

@ Todd,@bhuwan
I hope Tesla doesnt do McD. First of all it is unlikely that Tesla owners will eat there, secondly fast food joints are complete contrast to a green image Tesla is creating, most unhealthiest and inefficient way to provide food.

This is true, but if the superchargers have proven anything, its that EV charging brings in more business than is lost by tied up parking spots.

Excellent point. The Superchargers are almost ideal in that regard. With pack swaps, someone car drive up and in 90 seconds drive off if they want and buy food somewhere else. Same with a gas station. With Superchargers you have a captive audience for 20-40 min who are getting something for free that might be willing to spend a little money on food or something else.

fast food joints are complete contrast to a green image Tesla is creating

Once could also make the argument that fast food is exactly the image Tesla ultimately wants to convey. Musk has made it very clear that his real goal is for every car on the road to be electric. Right now, Tesla, like it or not, is viewed as a rich mans toy, out of reach of the common man. We all know that when you actually run the numbers, that the Model S is actually within reach of most upper middle class families, but the public perception is that they are for the rich only. Musk wants everyone to drive electric, not just the "rich". This is why his secret plan has always been to come out with a lower price, high volume car. Placing chargers at places like McDonalds will spread awareness of the brand to people who otherwise would not think twice about Tesla, and will show that Tesla EV's really are for everyone.

McDonalds is the lowest common denominator of American food. Few will argue that it really tastes all that good, and even fewer will argue that it is good for you, but the one thing everyone will agree on is that their restaurants are everywhere. Even if you dont eat there, I bet you personally know where at least 5-6 McDonalds restaurants are located. If you are trying to convince an average Joe that he does not need to worry about being stranded due to the inability to find a place to charge, the best possible thing that you could tell him is "if you are ever in a pinch, just pull into any McDondalds and plug in". When EV's go mainstream, they will have to work for people that will not use plugshare to find chargers, who will not plan their routes out, and who will not slow down and turn off the AC when they are running short on range. The value to Tesla of a safety net provided by having a charging network that anyone can find without needing a smart phone or prior planning cannot be overstated.

As far as that line drawn down the middle of the country, it pretty much mirrors population density and nothing more. The fact that CA has a number of strong competitors keeps the CA numbers down.

McDs is not ideal from a snob appeal standpoint but the locations can't be beat. I think just grabbing a drink and using the restroom is something even the 1% can do.

Just a side note - in Cary NC, the McDs are putting J1772s in when they renovate. They are rebuilding one about 5 miles from my house at the junction of interstates and I have to think it will have a charging station. I have a Leaf for now so this is perfect for when I pushed too far. There are others but this location on the highway is directly on the way home.

Obviously slow charging is not want you want to do at a McDs but 5 miles from home just increased my range by 5 miles - I think I can handle the 15 minutes it takes to add 5 miles even at Leaf rates.