Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If the United Kingdom leaves the EU, will it have any affect on getting a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in the UK, we are being threatened with various ploys to stop us trying to get our freedom and independence back. One of which is that if we leave the European Union, then it could take 10 years to set up trade links again. Personally I have never heard so much cr*p, but they will try ANYTHING.

What affect, if any, will this have on getting a new Tesla in the UK?

I would see the only problem as being the pound /dollar rate brexit may well increase the price after the initial panic but should go back if not improve the situation all depends on timing of your order, shan't be cancelling mine anytime soon anyway, p.s like those seven? EX secretaries of state also shaking their heads, what they don't tell you is they are all ex(if ever you are ex) Goldman Sacks ie vested interest big business

I see no reason Tesla would not want to export to the UK because it is not part of the EU.

Neither is Norway or Switzerland.

You can make an argument Tesla would be less likely to invest in a technical/engineering center or a manufacturing plant in a post EU UK but not that Tesla Motors Sales would leave.

BTW I don't think there is any realistic chance Tesla invest in a UK manufacturing plant anyway but a tech center is a real possibility.

Reactions: nexsuperne101
Here in the UK, we are being threatened with various ploys to stop us trying to get our freedom and independence back. One of which is that if we leave the European Union, then it could take 10 years to set up trade links again. Personally I have never heard so much cr*p, but they will try ANYTHING.

What affect, if any, will this have on getting a new Tesla in the UK?
Well, right now the UK is within the European customs area - not Schengen, but any trade agreement, treaty, customs agreement between the EU and the rest of the world applies to you as well. Once you are out, you are out, so it will depend on each country if they wish to sign any agreements with the UK and that largly depends on whether the UK has anything to offer they want.

To translate it to Tesla, the cars are US import to the EU, that fall under the agreements between the EU and the US that make it possible to avoid some of the customs and taxes since the cars arrive as "parts" and have final assembly in the EU.

Once the customs and taxes wall goes up between the EU and the UK, Tesla UK will have 2 choices: import from the US or import from the EU. The final price you pay for the car will depend on whether any of those 2 will find it in their best interest to come to an agreement with the UK on car imports. (Plus anything that may happen to the Pound as a result of the impact on the UK economy).

Last edited:
so it will depend on each country if they wish to sign any agreements with the UK and that largly depends on whether the UK has anything to offer they want.

what the UK " largely has to offer"--- is a major market for BMW Audi Merc' Skoda SEAT Citroen Peugeot Fiat Alfa etc I guess you get the picture, but the quickest way to get an agreement is to put 300% tarrif on French cheese and plonk (since the French run the EU with a German / British cheque book) once were out we don't have to get EU inclusive and we don't have to be brow beaten to 1/2 join in and be bullied in like poor old Norway and the Swiss who actually get some say in running their country (rant not over yet) (40 years of getting conned)

what the UK " largely has to offer"--- is a major market for BMW Audi Merc' Skoda SEAT Citroen Peugeot Fiat Alfa etc I guess you get the picture, but the quickest way to get an agreement is to put 300% tarrif on French cheese and plonk (since the French run the EU with a German / British cheque book) once were out we don't have to get EU inclusive and we don't have to be brow beaten to 1/2 join in and be bullied in like poor old Norway and the Swiss who actually get some say in running their country (rant not over yet) (40 years of getting conned)
i tried to steer clear of politics and answered a simple question, but I do want to point out that your logic implies those German, French and Italian cars are forced upon the UK. As far as i know the UK has zero (mass market) car production anymore (save for local production of foreign brands) so I think European cars are needed by the UK as much as those companies want to sell in the UK.

One thing that could help the UK (like Norway) is the gas and oil reserves that the EU wants. While more expensive than Middle Eastern crude, it does provide a little independence in need.

Anyway, remains to be seen how the UK decides, if they do quit, I say good riddance, I think the EU will do just fine or better.

As far as Teslas or foreign cars go, i don't see why they would become unavailable, i just don't see them becoming cheaper.

Reactions: newtman
The UK does not need to beg anyone to sell them cars, no more than Australia does. Every auto producing nation will want to export cars to the UK even if the UK votes for Brexit. There is more auto production capacity in the world than there are customers. Automobiles is a buyers market.

Exporting direct from CA is cheaper than shipping to the Netherlands,dismantling and reassembling inside the EU to avoid 10% tariff on automobiles.

Sans any US-EU agreements there are WTO obligations.

Obama has said the UK will be at the back of the line in negotiating a trade agreement with the US.

But Obama has less than a year in office.

Just like when the arrow affected the aardvark, the effect will be electric. :p

I think yes, since it's a right-hand drive market and would need separate safety certification.
But other than that, no.

At least under the Conservatives, you'd expect an open economy so potentially there'd be fewer barriers. Given the work to harmonize automotive safety standards, I'm not sure that the UK would end up being a difficult market to enter.

i tried to steer clear of politics and answered a simple question, but I do want to point out that your logic implies those German, French and Italian cars are forced upon the UK. As far as i know the UK has zero (mass market) car production anymore (save for local production of foreign brands) so I think European cars are needed by the UK as much as those companies want to sell in the UK.

One thing that could help the UK (like Norway) is the gas and oil reserves that the EU wants. While more expensive than Middle Eastern crude, it does provide a little independence in need.

Anyway, remains to be seen how the UK decides, if they do quit, I say good riddance, I think the EU will do just fine or better.

As far as Teslas or foreign cars go, i don't see why they would become unavailable, i just don't see them becoming cheaper.

Intersting as Hyundai are starting to sell a lot of attractive models, and as far as I am aware South Korea is not part of the EU ;)

As to Telsa you'll be able to buy one, but the price maybe higher or lower or the same as if we were in the EU. Anyone who can tell you which is a liar ;-)

Who knows Teslas may even get cheaper if UK exits. The EU has tariffs and other barriers to protect their car industries. I suspect after exit UK would simply go to 0% tariffs.

Tesla operate a consistent pricing policy globally, so price would remain the same. The U.K. Has Sterling not the Euro already

Also the UK has a substantial mass market production. As well as JLR, there is Honda in Swindon, Toyota in Derby, Nissan in Sunderland (where they make the Leaf), and Mini in Oxford. Even MG is back in production. My own town Telford has Denso, GKN, and Johnson Controls amongst many other suppliers. I am very concerned about the impact of Brexit on current and future manufacturing activity. Would an international company want to set up facilities in an isolated UK? I think not.

Last edited:
I've actually been keeping my eye on the US economy lately... I mean I was totally ok before but I heard this guy Peter Schift on TV once and followed what he is being saying... And to sum it up he is expecting the US dollars to collapse and according to him it's a matter of math...
Now I know that's sounds like a lot but I've followed other financial analysis and it doesn't look too good. Worst that Schift guy actually predicted the crash in 08 2 years before it happens and the movie Big short was based on him... So I don't want to believe him but his credibility sounds a bit scary...

What I'm wondering is what would happen to Tesla and the production of the model 3 if they are hit with another economic crash? Because it's not entirely impossible to have another crash in the next 2 years (not sure if it will be as bad tho) ... So I'm not worry too much about the UK but what about the 35K base price?

Videos like these are scary:

• Informative
Reactions: cheshire cat
verrrrrrrry interestink ---- the main thing I drew from that--notice where he's investing, Norway, Switzerland, Canada, New Zealand et-al notice EU didn't get a mention -wonder why--that the TTTP? negotiations are potentially getting spiked by a release of secret doc's won't help either, re the the good old US of A they've been working on the "the Jed Clampett accounting system" (""everyone knows them zero's ain't worth nuthin"") for at least thirty years and seem to have learned little in the last 8 or 9 . as they used to say on exam papers "discuss" p.s.sorry if I hijacked your thread NEX'

Reactions: nexsuperne101