Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If there was a 100 mile range upgrade what would you be willing to pay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely should have put in more than that when making a big leap in cold weather....I guess now you know that too. - signed Cptn Obvious ;)

I've found Nav's estimates are rock solid above about 45-50F, the further below that you get the more overshoot on optimistic side it gives. At least that was the case a year ago, I did not do enough cold driving long distance this winter to give a proper evaluation but the bit I did do suggested it has improved at least somewhat.

What was the outside temp?
Was holding steady in the low-mid 40’s until Channing where we started getting headwinds and sleet moved in. Dropped to low 30’s around then

Was holding steady in the low-mid 40’s until Channing where we started getting headwinds and sleet moved in. Dropped to low 30’s around then
I consider that standard fan-only temperature range. :) Just bump it up to 2-3 (or maybe 4 if there's more than 2 of you in the vehicle) and drawing outside to the windshield vent only. Try not to breath towards the side windows if the relative humidity is high. ;)

Heat pump would have been very useful here.

We chose to sacrifice speed for comfort. In any case, that’s not a drive we will make in P3D+ again in Winter. At least not until SC is finally opened in Clayton, NM.

Still though the consumption numbers were the most impressive we’d seen throughout the whole trip. Jumping between chargers on the way up through KS often saw 420-500wh/mi.

Reactions: SammichLover
So long as the SC network continues to get more dense this will quell range anxiety.

I’m actually more worried about losing performance and charging speeds potentially being nerfed as the battery degrades over time since the 3LR is already pushing the limitations of it’s pack regarding power delivery especially with the power bumps.

Reactions: SammichLover
I’m actually more worried about losing performance and charging speeds potentially being nerfed as the battery degrades over time since the 3LR is already pushing the limitations of it’s pack regarding power delivery especially with the power bumps.
I do expect this eventually but only to a meaningful extent late in the battery pack life when on the V2 chargers. If you look at the SR+ charging curve they're (edit:not) that much below the LR's curve on a 150kW V2, and the SR+ is roughly equivalent to a LR with 25% degradation.

The installed base of V2 is sizable, I expect it'll be a long time before V3 is common in most of the US. So it'll come close to the same difference except when I'm traveling through Canada or North Dakota (AKA Southern Canada), up until I hit maybe 1/4 million miles.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
hmmmmm I have the 325 range and its perfect for my dozen long range trips. But with battery degradation it would be great to have more overhead. So yah sure I wouldn't mind if the range can be upgraded to 425.
While my LR RWD is adequate for most of my long trips (as long as I use the CS's) I still would like more range and I am willing to pay for that. For me the desire for increased range goes beyond just eliminating the time hit at the SC (lower efficiency/range at high speeds, use of AC or heater, headwinds, elevation, wheel size, etc).
To many on this thread however increased range evidently does not have much value in their use cases, and for them that is great. Now it makes me wonder if some of those LR owners could also have been well served well with SR+ saving them some $$?