Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If there was a 100 mile range upgrade what would you be willing to pay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not if you look at the price differences between the SR+, MR, and LR. $100/mile of range is very typical BEV pricing. Within, and even higher at times outside Tesla.

One easy way to calculate how Tesla values range is to look at where they've allowed software unlocking. SR to SR+ is ~$5,000, which includes the $3,000 AP upgrade. So 20 miles is $2,000 which works out to exactly $100/mile.

Reactions: SammichLover
To (purposely) over simplify it, there just needs to be fewer cells in parallel.
I believe the SR+ has the same number of modules, 4? The obvious way is to rewire and add interconnects so when charging they are electrically parallel as usual. When driving the interconnects switch the circuit layout so you have two sets of 2 modules in parallel, and the two sets are serial. Boom, V is doubled.

However this and all the other wiring and software tweaks and QA on the changes are far more work than that simplification, though. For example DU would need to be re-engineered from nearly the bottom up, electrically, electro-magnetically, and thus to an extent mechanically and definitely heavily on the controlling software, too. Look how long it took Tesla to tune the current DUs to their current state, years after shipping started.

Reactions: hcdavis3
The amount I would be willing to pay "just to have" would be unreasonably low because a 90% charge currently can last me over a week and on further trips it seems like there are superchargers everywhere here in NJ. If the price was closer to the $10k level I'd probably be considering upgrading to a new Model 3 instead.

Maybe $5k to get my SR+ up to 300 (never seen 250 miles) and i do 70-80 max usually. For $25 fill-up my Prius will go 480 miles easily.

But currently I only needed the extra range out west with 206 miles between some superchargers (and no Chademo in sight). So I hope more chargers get installed instead.

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
Well, I can't recall how much the battery pack in a Tesla costs, but its a pretty significant percentage of the car cost I think. Crudely, a 100 mile range increase would need a 33% increase (300 to 400) in battery capacity on an M3, and that's not going to be a cheap, especially when you factor in installation costs.

Plus, where would it go? It's a big jump in capacity, and I'm not sure there is much room under the car for the extra capacity, barring some major break-through in battery density/packing.

There is also a bit of diminishing returns (the rocket equation comes to mind). The battery pack is heavy; adding more batteries means more weight, which reduces the range .. so for 33% more miles you need more than 33% more battery. And the disadvantage here is that all the times you dont need the extra range (like all those short trips to the store and to/from work) you are actually paying with lower efficiency.

Would seem to me the main advantage would be easier access to less well-traveled routes (such as when doing scenic drives around the country). And perhaps finally put range anxiety to bed for potential buyers.

I'm sure we will each 400 miles range in the near future (yeah I know MS has that now), which is probably the sweet spot. But that will require tech changes which would, I would guess, preclude a retrofit to existing vehicles.

I like this thread. The countless "is $7k worth it for FSD?" threads are exhausting.
If I had an SR or SR+ I would easily pay $7k.
I have a LR and would pay $5k.

Of course if the price was $6k I'm sure I'd pull the trigger. Probably $7k too:p

It's more about range loss in the long winters than anything.

Reactions: android04
Well, I can't recall how much the battery pack in a Tesla costs, but its a pretty significant percentage of the car cost I think. Crudely, a 100 mile range increase would need a 33% increase (300 to 400) in battery capacity on an M3, and that's not going to be a cheap, especially when you factor in installation costs.

Plus, where would it go? It's a big jump in capacity, and I'm not sure there is much room under the car for the extra capacity, barring some major break-through in battery density/packing.

There is also a bit of diminishing returns (the rocket equation comes to mind). The battery pack is heavy; adding more batteries means more weight, which reduces the range .. so for 33% more miles you need more than 33% more battery. And the disadvantage here is that all the times you dont need the extra range (like all those short trips to the store and to/from work) you are actually paying with lower efficiency.

Would seem to me the main advantage would be easier access to less well-traveled routes (such as when doing scenic drives around the country). And perhaps finally put range anxiety to bed for potential buyers.

I'm sure we will each 400 miles range in the near future (yeah I know MS has that now), which is probably the sweet spot. But that will require tech changes which would, I would guess, preclude a retrofit to existing vehicles.
I agree to get to an additional 100 miles of range obviously requires a big jump in battery capacity and this will never likely be available as an upgrade for existing models. What I was really after here however is what owners felt additional range was worth.

Of course Tesla (and the rest of the world) is working on increasing energy battery density and I'm looking for great news on this subject on battery day.

Like you, I think the sweet spot for the general public will be about 400 miles of range for EV's. As with ICE vehicles, factoring into the range equation is the speed of refueling and ease of access to refueling spots. Being able to charge at home is of course the major advantage the EV's will always have over ICE vehicles.

Reactions: drtimhill