Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If there was comparable EV SUV available now would you buy over the X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If right now after the X launch a comparable EV SUV was available from another brand would you have gotten that instead? I can't help but think if an EV Range Rover or Q7 with 265+ mile range (and fold down seats) was available that I wouldn't of bought it the day after the launch.

I have 10k miles on my P85D and I love every second of it. I also have an X on reserve for my wife (hoping for fold seats) and as much as I want to be "Tesla for Life" I am thinking we are not the demographic for the X. Thus I think if there was a comparable EV available now I might not be a two car Tesla owner like I'd like to be.

At this time I would have to say no, I want to support Tesla and its vision. Also as I have said before I need to see the Model X in the showroom and be able to move the seats sit in it and see the options and price. Like you I want no ICE cars in the garage, but cannot make a decision if I will purchase the X. As far as other Bev's that are SUV's that have at least 200 mile range, probably not.

I can't help but think if an EV Range Rover or Q7 with 265+ mile range (and fold down seats) was available that I wouldn't of bought it the day after the launch.

But would the EV Q7 or Range Rover have free supercharging, large touch screen control, future additional functions by OTA software updates, biodefense mode, panoramic windshield, falcon wing doors, storage under seats and non-foldable 2nd row?

NO!

That's why they are NOT comparable. :wink:

The only reason I might go with another company is that Tesla does not have all that many service centers compared to other car companies and I do not want to pay for lots of costly ranger visits. Otherwise, I think Tesla is a great company to buy from.

Yeah I just don't know why I am so underwhelmed I don't know what I was expecting, I just think I may not be the demographic. I have never understood why anyone would buy an X6M but a lot of people do. I could careless about the FWD I would trade those in for a second to get full roof racks. To me they are a bell/whistle not a necessity like more utility would be. Although I probably would of loved them when my Twins were in car seats.

I really think that there is nothing wrong with the X it is that a lot of us realized that we may not be the demographic and that is the problem.

That's impossible to answer without specifics. Does it tow more? Have as many luxury features? More cargo capacity? Proven reliability? Great service? Acceptable styling?
My answer is Yes, if it's cheaper and better. But so far nobody's shown any ability to do that...at least not to the market at large.

I'd consider it if...

Had 200+ miles of range,
Had a nationwide network of DC fast chargers,
Could be bought direct from the manufacturer,

Those would be the deal breakers if they didn't exist (ok, the 200 miles is slightly flexible).
Tesla would get an edge due to their long term goals.
Another company might get an edge with a lower price point.

I would certainly cross shop against such a vehicle and, if I found it met our needs more closely, I would get it. I'm a Tesla fan but not blindly so. For all its faults, Tesla is still unique in the automotive world. Someday they'll have competition in the long range EV space but they really don't today.

Also, I happen to think Model X is pretty awesome so your hypothetical car would have to be really awesome for it to be our choice.

In order for a vehicle the size and shape of a Range Rover Sport or Q7 to have 250 miles of range, it would have to have something like a 150 kWh battery and would cost a lot more than Model X. If anyone else could build 200+ mile EVs they'd be doing it. The other manufacturers will get there eventually, but Tesla is several years ahead.

The only reason I might go with another company is that Tesla does not have all that many service centers compared to other car companies and I do not want to pay for lots of costly ranger visits. Otherwise, I think Tesla is a great company to buy from.

Unfortunately for those of us already going with non-Tesla EVs, the number of EV-certified dealerships able to work on the EV models is nowhere close to the number of regular car dealerships.

It's be extremely hard to come up with a comparable SUV to the MX in all fronts. In order to get folding seats, you'd have to give up a ton of other features found on the MX / Tesla in general. (No Supercharger network, etc. available and many Tesla features have so far remained Tesla-exclusives on production models).

I very much surmise that people who are cancelling on the X now, will re-order later iterations of the X well before a competitor comes out with any sort of half-decent competitor to the MX. Or even the Model 3 CUV version, competitors aren't coming in this class of vehicle before the M3.

Last edited:
I'd ask a similar question and say "How long until there is a competitor to the X?" Competitor means to me that it must have a very low center of gravity, great acceleration, better looks, near best safety, functional storage and similar interior space, as well as and this is the kicker, access to the supercharging network as I wouldn't do Chademo

I'd consider a Volt-like series hybrid with decent EV range, if something like that were available in SUV form. I know Via Motors was originally proposing a Tahoe conversion at one point, but they seem to be focusing on vans and pickups first. My concern is electric range while towing.

I'd consider a Volt-like series hybrid with decent EV range, if something like that were available in SUV form. I know Via Motors was originally proposing a Tahoe conversion at one point, but they seem to be focusing on vans and pickups first. My concern is electric range while towing.

I would consider a Volt-like CUV as well. I was following the Volt forums for a year before the 2016 was revealed. There were many rumors that AWD would be offered or that something like the "CrossVolt" would finally be offered. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case so far and GM hasn't seen the need to add a feature that is surely desired by thousands.

...and GM hasn't seen the need to add a feature that is surely desired by thousands.

This is the problem. When I talk to people about EVs, quite often I'll hear things like "I just don't like any of the current models that are available". With thousands of choices in new and used ICE vehicles, and a selection of EVs that you can count on one hand, this is bound to come up.