Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you are planning to buy an X for towing, this year is a good time...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

The announcement yesterday ( Referral Program ) that those who order an S/X this year using a referral code will receive free unlimited Supercharging for as long as they own the car is particularly good news for anyone planning on buying an X to tow a camper trailer. Since we know that, based on the experiences of @fortytwo / @JimVandegriff / @jackbowers / @Bjorn and others, towing a camper trailer with an X uses approximately double the energy compared to not towing, if you plan to take a lot of trips with a camper trailer you could potentially use more than a thousand dollars worth of Supercharging annually. Sure, compared to the price of an X that is not a big deal, but factoring in multiple years of ownership and it is hardly pocket change (a quaint analogy in the age of plastic and NFC payments!).

Since it is very possible that Tesla will not extend the new offer beyond the end of 2017, this year looks like a good time to order an X if you plan to do a lot of towing.

The announcement yesterday ( Referral Program ) that those who order an S/X this year using a referral code will receive free unlimited Supercharging for as long as they own the car is particularly good news for anyone planning on buying an X to tow a camper trailer. Since we know that, based on the experiences of @fortytwo / @JimVandegriff / @jackbowers / @Bjorn and others, towing a camper trailer with an X uses approximately double the energy compared to not towing, if you plan to take a lot of trips with a camper trailer you could potentially use more than a thousand dollars worth of Supercharging annually. Sure, compared to the price of an X that is not a big deal, but factoring in multiple years of ownership and it is hardly pocket change (a quaint analogy in the age of plastic and NFC payments!).

Since it is very possible that Tesla will not extend the new offer beyond the end of 2017, this year looks like a good time to order an X if you plan to do a lot of towing.
I would agree with you!

Reactions: pilotSteve
Also, buy a 100D. I towed with a MX75D and I got about 75 actual road miles before needing a charge. I might have been about to go another 10-20 miles at most.
Absolutely. Unless one's towing needs are only for very short distances, the 100 battery is essential.

And with unlimited free Supercharging the increased number of charging stops required while towing aren't nearly as annoying. Buy your X this year, campers! :cool:

What and how much weight were you towing?
The primary factors effecting towing range are trailer aerodynamics and tow vehicle battery capacity. The weight of the trailer has only a minor impact unless the route includes a significant increase in elevation.

So my question to @Yinn would be what was he towing (like you asked) so I could evaluate its shape and therefore its drag but I really don't need to know the weight of his trailer unless his 75 mile trip was all uphill.

• Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
The primary factors effecting towing range are trailer aerodynamics and tow vehicle battery capacity. The weight of the trailer has only a minor impact unless the route includes a significant increase in elevation.

So my question to @Yinn would be what was he towing (like you asked) so I could evaluate its shape and therefore its drag but I really don't need to know the weight of his trailer unless his 75 mile trip was all uphill.
Thanks ecarfan. Yes, I was focused on the aero, but also on the weight since I will be climbing all uphill. So I'll rephrase my question. @Yinn what were you towing, what was its weight and did you take on any altitude? ;)

Thanks ecarfan. Yes, I was focused on the aero, but also on the weight since I will be climbing all uphill. So I'll rephrase my question. @Yinn what were you towing, what was its weight and did you take on any altitude? ;)

I did an in town tow. Picked up a rental trailer (**For future towers, just buy one from harbor freight. You can get one for as low as $200, and it cost me $30 just to rent one) It was a half box trailer with a drop down ramp that acted as a giant air brake. Half the trip was local, half highway @ 55mph.

The weight did not matter (~300ft elevation change) as the consumption was the same when it was loaded or empty. But for information purposes, I carried only a couple hundred pounds of furniture. I basically did 3 towing segments. An empty trailer haul back home, full trailer to where I needed to go, empty trailer back to drop off the trailer.

The air temperature was roughly 60 degrees F. The humidity level was 12%. Air density was low enough that it did not affect the speed of my pet African swallow, but high enough to affect my pet European swallow. I had McDonalds for lunch, and did not use the restroom prior to towing; unless my wife asks, then I had a kale salad and you know because you were there to help me.

The air temperature was roughly 60 degrees F. The humidity level was 12%. Air density was low enough that it did not affect the speed of my pet African swallow, but high enough to affect my pet European swallow. I had McDonalds for lunch, and did not use the restroom prior to towing; unless my wife asks, then I had a kale salad and you know because you were there to help me.

LOL thanks Yinn, I'm hoping to get up to Arrowhead (~5.200') and will be sure to eat only after I arrive.

I did an in town tow. Picked up a rental trailer (**For future towers, just buy one from harbor freight. You can get one for as low as $200, and it cost me $30 just to rent one) It was a half box trailer with a drop down ramp that acted as a giant air brake. Half the trip was local, half highway @ 55mph.

....... I had McDonalds for lunch, and did not use the restroom prior to towing; unless my wife asks, then I had a kale salad and you know because you were there to help me.
Right there is your problem.