Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you can take either model S or X performance for a night for test drive, what would you choose?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most obvious answer was already given by gaswalla - the one that OP is interested in buying.

However, given that OP asked the question, I assume the OP is not sure which car to buy. Here's how I generally recommend people decide between S and X:

Assume the S is your default choice. It is cheaper, quicker, more efficient, better looking, has more range, has better handling (especially of concern when looking at a Performance model as the OP is), and is more reliable. Heck, who wouldn't want that combination of traits?

The people that don't want that combination are those that need something else that the X has but the S doesn't, which includes:
  • Easier ingress because of the extra height and bigger doors
  • Ability to seat 6 or 7 people
  • More interior space (though frankly it's not much, and only in the least-useful Z-axis direction; one could add a)
  • Towing ability
  • You love the door tech (falcon wings and auto-open front doors) or the long windshield
If you want/need something in that list, drive the X. If you don't, drive the S.

Having owned both, my wife and I would both prefer the S...but we carry elderly passengers for whom the easier ingress is important, so the X works out better. It is really comfy and easy to live with, aside from the parking. We do both sigh when we go past an S, though.

One more note, since OP has a 3 - while my wife really misses her S, she far prefers her X to my 3. Fortunately I far prefer the 3 as long as I don't have an elderly passenger or something big to haul, so all is well at my house. But that is a warning that giving your wife the 3 and keeping the new car for yourself might not work out as planned.

Last edited: