Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you can't sleep in it, it is not self-driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
f_krpi2v3x2.jpeg

Don’t believe the hype. No matter how many driver assistance features you put in a car today, that doesn’t make it self-driving. Why? Because driver assistance and self-driving are two fundamentally different things.

Driver assistance technology still requires you to drive. Potentially less than having no assistance at all, but you still have to focus on driving. Self-driving lets you safely do things like play video games, or take a nap.

For example, Tesla Autopilot, Cadillac Supercruise and Ford Bluecruise are all different forms of driver assistance, but none of them are self-driving because they all have one thing in common: someone has to sit in the driver’s seat and drive, or your car isn’t going anywhere.

But a self-driving car? Just get in, buckle up, and it goes. Just press a button and it goes. That’s the point of self-driving: you don’t have to do anything except decide where to go.

I actually understand why EU residents are upset (I just don't understand why they are upset with Tesla), they get f#cked by their regulators to the point where normal Autopilot is sh!t but most users/owners just complain about Tesla!

The Autopilot functionality we have here in US performs better than the Autopilot in the EU. And the US is always getting the features rolled out first. I am def glad I live here!
Actually, only some of it is related to regulations (such as the auto-lane changes on highways), but a lot of other features are either not working well or not implemented (round-abouts are legions here). So, getting it to work in the USA doesn’t automatically makes it work outside of the USA.