Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you could change one thing about the Model 3...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is Porsche accomplishing "consistent performance" in the Taycan?
A little of each, if I understand correctly.

100% SoC isn't. Maybe it's only 90% or somesuch. Similarly, 0% SoC isn't.
More better cooling.
Limit power some above a certain SoC to keep the experience more consistent.

The thing they made a deal out of was "back to back 0-60/qm runs", so my understanding is that they really focused on the battery cooling side more than the "perf @50% SoC" side.

Yeah, hatchback is my #1

Don't understand why they were able to do this on the S, X, and Y but not the 3 which needs it most.

Elon tweeted back in 2016 (regarding the then-prototype design) that going with a trunk instead of a hatch was necessary for rear passenger headroom. A hatch design would have required a rear roof support cross-beam that would’ve gotten in the way.

There's a Reason for the Tesla Model 3 Trunk Design

I’m assuming the Y was able to accommodate the hatch since it’s taller, and the S since it’s longer. The Y’s cross-beam is right behind the 2nd row passenger’s head and is barely high enough to clear the 2nd row headrests.

Rear cross beam a big issue?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gauss Guzzler
I'll go for better fitting doors and trunk lid. Badly fitted body panels take the edge off it for me and I'm not even fussy.

From a design perspective, the door handles are a nuisance. Not because I can't use them myself, it's just that passengers never have a clue how to operate them. They are not exactly intuitive. It's a real pain having to walk around the car helping people to simply get inside it!

Hardware? Flatten the rocker area to be more vertical to prevent all the dirt from flying up and damaging the paintwork.

Software? An augmented reality HUD, that overlaid the “beta” visualization on the actual windshield. That way if the car saw an obstacle, you could see that the car saw that obstacle, as a red box would be overlaid upon it.

No more guessing if the car is seeing what you’re seeing, since you can actually see what it sees.

if I can’t have that, then I’d like more software adjustability. That is, being able to adjust the lane placement of the vehicle using TACC. Sometimes, I want to avoid the pothole line, in the Spring. Allowing me to adjust lane placement by 12” should do it. Or, motorcycles are lane splitting. Adjusting lane placement by 12-18” would be great.

Alerts! Bing-bongs! Dive, dive!

Joe Mode should have option to replace non-emergency chimes with tactile / visual. Vibrate the steering wheel or flash the screen. Our previous car could vibrate the driver’s seat left and right to get your attention silently.

My passenger has sensitive hearing and the constant bing-bong chimes of auto-steer get old quickly (the tone is actually painful to him).

Don’t get me started on the lane departure alarm. Just about jumped out of my seat when I was trying to give a cyclist some breathing room... not like the car didn’t see the cyclist, so there could be some better logic here: hazard on shoulder, no oncoming traffic, driver crossing centerline briefly should be expected. I am learning to put on my turn signal, which is probably a good idea anyway. Our other car (not a Tesla) intervened and tried to drive me towards the cyclist!

Alerts! Bing-bongs! Dive, dive!

Joe Mode should have option to replace non-emergency chimes with tactile / visual. Vibrate the steering wheel or flash the screen. Our previous car could vibrate the driver’s seat left and right to get your attention silently.

My passenger has sensitive hearing and the constant bing-bong chimes of auto-steer get old quickly (the tone is actually painful to him).

Don’t get me started on the lane departure alarm. Just about jumped out of my seat when I was trying to give a cyclist some breathing room... not like the car didn’t see the cyclist, so there could be some better logic here: hazard on shoulder, no oncoming traffic, driver crossing centerline briefly should be expected. I am learning to put on my turn signal, which is probably a good idea anyway. Our other car (not a Tesla) intervened and tried to drive me towards the cyclist!
One time the car slammed on the brakes at 80 mph because I was taking off my jacket.

1. Improved quality - despite the performance, range, and tech...I'm still disappointed with Model 3 gaps, misalignments, and other stuff.
  2. A front dash screen like the S
  3. Make the front seats lest bolstered. I'm not looking forward to eventually seeing the creasing on the left side of the driver seat.
  4. Stereo volume up and down should have been on the right side of the steering wheel.