Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you could change one thing about the Model 3...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make the front seats lest bolstered. I'm not looking forward to eventually seeing the creasing on the left side of the driver seat.

You might want to sit in a 2017/early 2018 build, and compare. They're quite different. The downside being that you probably can't easily find someone with the old seats and low mileage to swap with if you were interested in such a thing.

People saying the the 3 ride is harsh are usually coming from conventional floaty luxury cars like Lexus, not sport sedans.

My wish list for the 3 is long, but if I only had to pick one thing, it would be a more conventional design with a modest layout of hard buttons. IMO I should not have to ever touch the screen for anything safety related. Mirror and wiper adjustment should be through physical buttons and not the touch screen.

Preferably OEM :)

I think a substantial portion of Model 3/Y drivers come from things like Priuses, Camrys, Accords, and other soulless, boring appliance pods.

Most of the sport variants of German cars all have a more comfortable ride even with a lower factory suspension. Stiff suspension doesn't always mean harsh ride as the aftermarket coilover brands have also demonstrated.

Elon tweeted back in 2016 (regarding the then-prototype design) that going with a trunk instead of a hatch was necessary for rear passenger headroom. A hatch design would have required a rear roof support cross-beam that would’ve gotten in the way.

There's a Reason for the Tesla Model 3 Trunk Design

I’m assuming the Y was able to accommodate the hatch since it’s taller, and the S since it’s longer. The Y’s cross-beam is right behind the 2nd row passenger’s head and is barely high enough to clear the 2nd row headrests.

Rear cross beam a big issue?
That's a great response jsmay! I hereby retract my hatchback request and go instead with my #2 wish:
That Elon would stay off Twitter for a while.

I do find the visibility directly to the rear to be sub-optimal.

The seat belts need adjusters for shorter drivers so it doesn't go across our necks, but this is already addressed in the aftermarket.

The phone app needs an option to deploy or stow side mirrors.

We need to be able to trigger our custom BoomBox sounds whilst driving!

The ability to change lanes when using regular autopilot. Having to disengage and re-engage every time you change lanes is silly and certainly not worth $10K to upgrade.
I've found that if you engage the blinker while applying turning force in the direction you're changing lanes, the "threshold" for disengaging AP is drastically reduced. So then all you have to do is re-engage once you've finished the maneuver. Still not "perfect" but makes it less of a PITA.

Reactions: Ampre Sand
Being able to configure non-active cruise control is one thing I'd change.

Active cruise control on anything other than divided highways/freeways is dangerous. On every drive with active cruise on the car brakes hard for perceived threats that are non-issues. Particularly concerning with motorcycles or trucks following close behind.

The option of configuring cruise control, so that I can make it simply maintain a set speed that I choose would be good and I'd be able to use it more often. You'd should still be able to adjust the set speed via the scroll wheel to adjust for traffic flow, following distances etc.