TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

If you could choose any other SUV.....

Discussion in 'Model X' started by modelsmagic, Oct 6, 2015.

1. modelsmagic

modelsmagic Member

Hey all!

If you could choose any SUV other than the X, what would it be?

For me, it would probably be the GL63 or maybe even G63. Escalade is also definitely beautiful.

2. TES-E

TES-E Member

Honda Pilot. Had one... loved it!

3. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Can I make that other SUV have a 250 mile EV power train? Otherwise I'm not interested.

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Since my top priority is that it must not make a sound and accelerate like the proverbial 'bat outta hell' from zero it makes it quite hard to find a substitute. Now if the supposed 'long tail' of other items is lacking enough to tip the scales then I might just wait around until they are inevitably fixed instead of going back to the ICE age. The XC90 was a contender for a short time until I found out how horrid the acceleration is under battery alone. Talk about a non-starter!

5. kf93

kf93 Member

We custom ordered a GL350 in Feb and took delivery in April once I realized the X wasn't coming anytime soon and neither was the XC90 T8 and I needed a replacement for the Odyssey that was capable of limited off roading, carrying at least 7 and cargo, and getting decent gas mileage. We also didn't want to go full sized and haul around a lot of extra space like in a sequoia. Going pure EV wasn't a requirement and still isn't. Now the question is whether to replace the 5 series wagon that is currently the second car with either an S or an X. I think the GL will probably be the last ICE vehicle I buy. I intend to take my 8 year old to college in that SUV and then trade it in for something a lot smaller.

6. kort677

kort677 Active Member

my ICE backup is a MB cla

7. hoskme

hoskme Member

Right on!

8. taurusking

taurusking Member

My choice would be Escalade

9. perkiset

perkiset ... this one goes to 11

Our last ICE car is a Sequoia. 170K, tight as a drum. I'd recommend it any day of the week. It'll stay with us probably forever as our backup as well. No plans to shift to an X at this time - 2 Ss are enough and when we need big or towing - especially into Mexico - I prefer gas.

10. matbl

matbl Member

Volvo XC90 T8 or BMW X5 eDrive.
    Not full EV's. But plug-in hybrids at least.

11. muleferg

muleferg Member

Will keep this until they get the X sorted out.

IMG_1276.JPG IMG_1278.JPG

12. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

If I could choose any other SUV to be all electric, we'd love to buy a smaller SUV - Volvo XC60, BMW X3, or Audi Q5 - with 200+ EV miles.

Alas, no one will sell us one, so Model X is it.

13. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I hope you don't mind my editing your comment

14. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

Throw a Tesla Model X drivetrain into the Infiniti QX60 or Cadillac XT5 and that's my car for sure.

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I'm not going to compromise and buy an ICE. Period.

I'm going to make do until Tesla refines the X to a point where it can work for us. Then I'll buy it.

16. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I think a Mercedes Sprinter with 200+ miles of electric range and access to super chargers would be perfect for me. Heck I'd even settle for a PHEV Sprinter with ~50 miles range.

17. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Yeah, that's fine. I just use the phrase "sell us one" to capture both that someone needs to a) manufacture one, and b) sell in it our non-CARB state.

Simply making one isn't enough.

18. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I thought about it and there is really no other SUV I have any interest in other than the X. I could come up with cars other than the S though.

19. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I was emphasizing the sad truth that there are few other players in the EV game and without competition the innovations and economies of scale are slower to becoming reality

20. ZachShahan

ZachShahan Member

I've never been interested in SUVs. The X is the first one that, surprisingly, got my interest. I thought I liked the S more until just ~1 or 2 months ago, but am now more into the X.

I'd definitely prefer a smaller version of the X (Y, please!).

Outside of Teslas, I actually like the Porsche Cayenne and BMW X3, but only aesthetically. I can't imagine ever buying a non-electric. I have to rent them a bit, and even if I didn't care a great deal about tackling global warming and air pollution, I'm really turned off by the drive quality of even higher-end gasmobiles.