Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you could pay $5,000 for 400+ miles, would you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought if Tesla would fit all the new model Ys/all with full 4680 battery packs and then limit the mileage with software, adding the option of the extra 70+ miles with an update. How much would you pay? Looking at YTube and trying to form some logic as a possible plan. just a thought.

I doubt that this would play out. As I would assume tesla would just raise the price of their cars even more. However the new 4680 battery packs are cheaper to produce I thought. So if they want 5000 more for longer range I would not buy into Tesla. I would look at other manufacturers. The tesla tax is bad enough already.

I thought if Tesla would fit all the new model Ys/all with full 4680 battery packs and then limit the mileage with software, adding the option of the extra 70+ miles with an update. How much would you pay? Looking at YTube and trying to form some logic as a possible plan. just a thought.
Honestly, I wouldn't pay $5000 for an extra 70 miles of range. That's just a few minutes at Supercharger. My 327 miles of theoretical really gives me about 200 miles of interstate driving. Increasing to 400 miles would probably take me about 245 miles, which would be nice but would not really help me that much given the spacing of the superchargers. Would I like the extra range? Yes. Would I pay $5000 for it? No.

Reactions: Fourdoor
One of Tesla's dumbest practices is installing hardware and then software limiting it to lower performance / features. Having the M3 SR have a software locked SR+ battery, software locked rear seat heat, and some other features software locked was pretty dumb... especially when aftermarket unlocking systems are cheaper than upgrading to the higher spec car.

Keith