Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

if you didn't buy a prepaid service plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prepaid or not, the annual service is the same and now includes alignment. I had mine in December and they fixed 17 issues, including alignment. Of the 17 items, I didn't report any of the issues because I simply didn't think anything needed to be done. Some of the 17 were parts replacement: 12v, instrument cluster, interior & exterior trim pieces, etc...I didn't think I needed any of the parts replaced but they did it anyway. Some of the fixes were from service bulletins, some not. I am not on the prepaid plan.
Good to know. Thanks!

Prepaid not available in Connecticut. I was told that CT considers it "insurance" since it is prepaid, and Tesla would have to be licensed to sell insurance in CT to sell the plan. I think Tesla said if that changed, they would let me know and give me the option of purchasing the prepaid plan.

I sure hope I get the same service at my annual service as I would if I had prepaid. Guess I'll find out in 7 months.

I was also told that if you buy the 4 year plan there was not a 50k mileage limit. I expect to drive the car 25k miles per year so the prepaid plan would cost me much more if they adhere to the policy listed on the website.
If you're driving 25K per year, you'll need to have service twice a year, whether you prepay or not. The service interval is 1 year or 12,500 miles, whichever comes first. The mileage interval is to catch mechanical items that wear with use, and the time interval is to prevent a seldom-driven car from not seeing service for several years (as there are often items that simply "rot" with time).

Last edited:
If you're driving 25K per year, you'll need to have service twice a year, whether you prepay or not. The service interval is 1 year or 12,500 miles, whichever comes first. The mileage interval is to catch mechanical items that wear with use, and the time interval is to prevent a seldom-driven car from not seeing service for several years (as there are often items that simply "rot" with time).

That has been changed. It's once per year regardless of miles but you have to make sure that it's done within the year or you lose one prepaid service.

Well that actually makes no sense whatsoever. What are you paying $600 for then? I'll tell you, the WEAR ITEMS.
Especially since for us earlier buyers I'm pretty sure that wasn't mentioned in the pre-pay agreement (at least not anywhere I could find at the time!). If they're not including wear and tear items in the annual service, what sense does that make? If that's the case we should just ignore the annual service and wait for things to break...I've got the extended warranty and (now tentatively) plan to pay for service annually, but if all they're going to do is check for broken things, well, it's cheaper for me to wait till they break! I'm guessing this is a terrible miscommunication though.

- - - Updated - - -

Very easy to answer. The person that showed up and paid $600 for the service gets it replaced free of charge just like those of you that gave tesla money upfront for a discount, for the same service. Same items are covered whether you lay $600 or prepaid with tesla. You are paying for the exact same service, just a different price. Simple. Nothing Extra for prepay. Just a discount.
Now, I knew this was a risk in not pre-paying, but arguably between month 1 and month 12 (which I'm coming up on quickly), why whould Tesla replace wear items if they don't know I'll pay the $600? What about in month 13, shortly after my annual service? They don't know if I'll pay for year 2. I'm not sure how I think they should handle this. Maybe if you need something mid-year you should have to fork over the $600 for the next year's service and "pre-pay" that for the next service which will then be covered.

Especially since for us earlier buyers I'm pretty sure that wasn't mentioned in the pre-pay agreement (at least not anywhere I could find at the time!). If they're not including wear and tear items in the annual service, what sense does that make? If that's the case we should just ignore the annual service and wait for things to break...I've got the extended warranty and (now tentatively) plan to pay for service annually, but if all they're going to do is check for broken things, well, it's cheaper for me to wait till they break! I'm guessing this is a terrible miscommunication though.

- - - Updated - - -

Now, I knew this was a risk in not pre-paying, but arguably between month 1 and month 12 (which I'm coming up on quickly), why whould Tesla replace wear items if they don't know I'll pay the $600? What about in month 13, shortly after my annual service? They don't know if I'll pay for year 2. I'm not sure how I think they should handle this. Maybe if you need something mid-year you should have to fork over the $600 for the next year's service and "pre-pay" that for the next service which will then be covered.

I dont see too many wear items needing to be replaced on a new car. More Likley it will be defective which are replaced due to the cars warranty, not the service plan. This may be a factor 3 or 4 years from now, but not quite yet.

I wanted to buy the service plan, but it isn't available in CT... That said, was at 15k miles in at a year in December and no real issues to speak of, so not concerned either way.

Prepaid not available in Connecticut. I was told that CT considers it "insurance" since it is prepaid, and Tesla would have to be licensed to sell insurance in CT to sell the plan. I think Tesla said if that changed, they would let me know and give me the option of purchasing the prepaid plan.
I sure hope I get the same service at my annual service as I would if I had prepaid. Guess I'll find out in 7 months.

Woah... that sucks! Can you buy the annual plan? Why don't they give CT customers the annual plan at the pre-paid price ($475)?

Or is there no plan at all for CT residents? :(

I'm due to pick up an inventory car this week.

I wanted to buy the service plan, but it isn't available in CT... That said, was at 15k miles in at a year in December and no real issues to speak of, so not concerned either way.

Same situation as in Florida. Prepaid plans are considered like insurance and seller must be licensed to sell insurance.

Woah... that sucks! Can you buy the annual plan? Why don't they give CT customers the annual plan at the pre-paid price ($475)?Or is there no plan at all for CT residents? :(I'm due to pick up an inventory car this week.

I just asked my sales advisor for my car, and this is what she said (I live in CT, Florida might be different).

Service is definitely available to all Tesla customers. It’s the Extended Service that’s not available to CT residents—State consumer protection laws.

Extended Service is only referring to the 2nd four service term. Everyone is automatically able to get the first 4 year service.

For the first 4 year service, you will be able to pay a-la-carte $600/yr; or $1,900 for 4 year, plus $100 per ranger visit; or $2,400 for 4 years including unlimited ranger visits.