Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

if you didn't buy a prepaid service plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you regret it? I have to make a decision soon and I'm on the fence. With fewer moving parts why do you need an annual inspection? I'm thinking of just rotating tires and doing annual inspections every other yr. Any input from those that didn't buy the prepaid plan will be appreciated.

I called the Rockville Service Center yesterday about a tire issue I have (losing about 9 pounds of pressure a week in one tire) and mentioned that I need to make an appointment for the annual service for March. During the conversation, I asked whether they do an alignment with the annual service. I have the 4 plus 4 year service plan. They told me that wheel alignment and tire rotation are not included in the annual service UNLESS you have the prepaid plan, and since I have the prepaid plan, they will do a wheel alignment and rotate the tires for me. So there is a benefit to buying the prepaid plan, rather than paying as you go.

BTW, Tesla's policy now is not to repair tires but to only replace them. I have the 21 inch Michelin Pilot Sport, which Tesla charges $755 for, with installation. The tire leaking air was installed about 3,000 miles ago (the prior tire got a bubble from a pot hole), so the service person suggested I take it to a tire shop to see if it is repairable. I am taking the car in the morning to a tire shop near the service center that will see whether the tire is repairable. If it is not repairable, they carry the Pilot Super Sport (PSS), which they sell for $345.50.

I called the Rockville Service Center yesterday about a tire issue I have (losing about 9 pounds of pressure a week in one tire) and mentioned that I need to make an appointment for the annual service for March. During the conversation, I asked whether they do an alignment with the annual service. I have the 4 plus 4 year service plan. They told me that wheel alignment and tire rotation are not included in the annual service UNLESS you have the prepaid plan, and since I have the prepaid plan, they will do a wheel alignment and rotate the tires for me. So there is a benefit to buying the prepaid plan, rather than paying as you go.

BTW, Tesla's policy now is not to repair tires but to only replace them. I have the 21 inch Michelin Pilot Sport, which Tesla charges $755 for, with installation. The tire leaking air was installed about 3,000 miles ago (the prior tire got a bubble from a pot hole), so the service person suggested I take it to a tire shop to see if it is repairable. I am taking the car in the morning to a tire shop near the service center that will see whether the tire is repairable. If it is not repairable, they carry the Pilot Super Sport (PSS), which they sell for $345.50.

I'm guessing they gave you incorrect info as the service centers frequently do. Annual maintenance is annual maintenance. Those of us that did not "prepay" for the annual service are just paying a little bit more. That's it.

13 mos. 11k miles. Took it in last week for a sun roof issue and all service, TSB's etc. done and treated like a king. Even though it was just the afternoon they gave me a P85+ loaner and then swapped my car for loaner at my office. Couldn't have been treated better. No regrets... (this is Houston SC)

In Germany without the service package you only get security-relevant updates. However, new functions are not, or only at the annual Service Requirements.
With the service package you get new features immediately / promptly.

Whether this is really so, I do not know. But if the testimony of a Tesla employee.

I live four hours from the nearest service center so I bought ranger service. My annual inspection involved 6 hours of updates done by two awesome technicians in my garage and it was done fairly promptly from the time of my request to actual service. I don't regret it but I primarily bought it because of my range to the service center.

I have been told by 2 different techs at the Rockville service center now that alignment and rotation is included only in the prepaid plan. I don't know whether that is company policy or whether it is determined by each service center.

They told me that wheel alignment and tire rotation are not included in the annual service UNLESS you have the prepaid plan, and since I have the prepaid plan, they will do a wheel alignment and rotate the tires for me. So there is a benefit to buying the prepaid plan, rather than paying as you go.

I have been told by 2 different techs at the Rockville service center now that alignment and rotation is included only in the prepaid plan. I don't know whether that is company policy or whether it is determined by each service center.

Sigh. If you pay for the $600 annual service visit (as opposed to the prepaid plan), you receive the same exact services which include tire rotation and wheel alignment. They are the same exact service. One costs $1900 up front (or $2400 w\ ranger service), and the other costs $600 per visit. Other than that, they are identical.

With the service package you get new features immediately / promptly.
Perhaps I'm under or overreading but ...
If you don't buy the plan, you're potentially only seeing them for the annual service. When you have this annual service, you can have updates and new features applied. Between annual services, if you stop by for new features you're likely to be told "you'll get it at your next annual service." If you ask "Can I get it now" you'll probably get mixed answers from the service centers, including some that might try to charge you for it. If you have the changes done and pay for it, I suspect you might be able to get that cost deducted from the cost of your next annual service.

Probably just a training issue with the staff. Prepaid is just that, you pre-pay to get a lower price. That in no way implies the service will be different.

Maybe, but I'm not so sure. I had the pleasure of speaking with the service manager in Fremont for awhile. I would assume the guy in charge of the entire service department at the factory would know what he's talking about. He also said, as noted in the prepaid service agreement, that wear items are included when you prepay, and aren't included in standard annual service.

If that's not the case they really need to get their message straight. This comes up periodically and it's always the same discussion and with all the conflicting info it's hard to tell who is right.

Maybe, but I'm not so sure. I had the pleasure of speaking with the service manager in Fremont for awhile. I would assume the guy in charge of the entire service department at the factory would know what he's talking about. He also said, as noted in the prepaid service agreement, that wear items are included when you prepay, and aren't included in standard annual service.

Well that actually makes no sense whatsoever. What are you paying $600 for then? I'll tell you, the WEAR ITEMS.

Well that actually makes no sense whatsoever. What are you paying $600 for then? I'll tell you, the WEAR ITEMS.
It didn't sound that unusual when he said it. I assumed it was like every other car I've ever owned:

There's a service schedule. Sometimes the schedule has tasks like "Replace engine oil" or "Flush cooling system" or "Replace timing belt," which are included in the cost of the service. Sometimes the schedule has inspections noted like "Inspect air filter" and "Inspect brake pad wear." Should the inspection of one of these wear items show that it needs to be replaced, the customer can opt to pay for the replacement or defer that particular service. The service you paid for only included the inspection, not the replacement.

Tesla may be doing something different, but that's not the impression I got from the two service centers I've visited so far.

Last edited:
It didn't sound that unusual when he said it. I assumed it was like every other car I've ever owned:
The service you paid for only included the inspection, not the replacement.

I am not sure I am following. Are you saying that if you pre-paid it is service but if you pay as you go it is inspection only? That is kind of absurd and would not be a rational financial decision on the part of TM given that most people seem to pre-pay for service. And what rational person would take a vehicle in for a $600 annual inspection. You would likely be better off waiting for issues to arise since not doing the annual inspection does not void warranty.

I was describing the way scheduled service usually works on other vehicles. Some items are included in the service, others are inspected and can be fixed at additional cost to the customer. Pretty common stuff.

That's why I wasn't surprised when the service manager explained to me that Tesla's works the same way if you don't prepay.

I've had alignment and rotation done without having a prepaid plan, nor did I pay anything for it.

I took it in for the 12V battery replacement, and they said they did it cause the car had enough miles on it. They wrote it up as "goodwill".

More prove that the SC's may be a bit inconsistent.